baby wont sleep in moses basket

puddycats

mummy to jake
Reaction score
for the past 2 nights ive slept on the settee with jake snuggled up on me, soon as i transfer him to his basket he gets all fidgity and wakes up screamin, the only way to console him is to put him on the breast n let him fall sleep on me n stay on me. givin him a bottle seems to settle him so we sleep longer.

he slept on me in bed also but im scared of lettin go wen im asleep, tho i never sleep i tend to doze n my fella dozes as well n always checks on baby.

any advice so he sleep in his basket please?
xx

is your basket on a stand? My daughter refused to sleep in her basket on the stand but has been fine since we put it straight on the floor. I think perhaps the basket sagged a bit on the stand but is firmer on the floor.

You could also try placing a hot water bottle in the basket for a bit before you put baby in there (and remove the hot water bottle) so it is warm

or tuck a cloth inside your bra for a few hours and put this in the basket so it smells of you.

You could also try a gradual transfer to the basket, with my daughter I would let her fall asleep on me until shewas sound asleep, then I would put her on the bed for half an hour and then put her in the basket.

Keep at it, i hope you get it sorted because i like you do not sleep well with bubs in the bed so I know how exhausting it is :hugs:

I dont know but my LO will still not transfer into moses basket / crib/ cot and hes 10 weeks old :nope:
The minute i place him down he screams :shrug:

This is totally normal and does change - the basket is very new to LO whereas you are familiar territory.

Temperature change was a BIG factor in my LO waking quickly so warming the matress worked very well for us. Other people find tucking a T-shirt or muslin that you have worn and got sweaty and milky round the mattress helps LO feel like they are still near you. I fed lying down in the early days and sometimes LO would fall asleep there but would wake when I tried to transfer her so I ended up puting the moses matress next to me on the bed and placing her on it to feed so that when she fell asleep we moved the whole thing back in to the basket (had to be careful so she didn't roll off!!!) - seems a bit crazy now but we probably only did it for a week.

We aslo took turns letting LO sleep on us so that we each had a chance to kip. Again it doesn't last forever.

We had this problem too!
Here's what we tried...
* Hot water bottle so the sheet isn't cold although sometimes we just put the matress in bed with us so we made it warm and it smelt of us
* Putting either one of mine or one of Oh's worn T shirts over the matress so it smelt of us when she went down
* Also putting her down when she wasn't quite asleep (sounds odd I know!) so she would settle off to sleep in her moses basket rather than be asleep on us and then wake up as we put her down.
Its all a bit hit and miss to be honest and I'm not sure whether any of these worked or she just got more used to it over time but we got there in the end at night time - day time... no chance!!!

i used a hot water bottle to warm the basket tonight for the first time and my 3 week old has stayed asleep in the basket since i put her down...she much prefers to sleep on me so this is worth trying

the basket mattress isnt nice to be put down on after being all cosy on you

Yes - also fed on the matress all wrapped up in blanket so we then transferred the whole thing into the basket.
And a sleeping bag - god send!!!! Think this was the biggest factor as she stays nice and snuggly from feeding when she goes into her bed and I'm not fussing trying to put a blanket over her and tucking it in and disturbing her. Also guess the bag smells of me from where's she been feeding on me.

Thank you, wil try all these, yes basket is on a stand wil try puttin it on floor xx

Also try rolling two small blankets and placing them either side of the basket at the bottom, makes your LO think they're still being held.

Try propping the mattress slightly too, again it helps them think they're still on you :)

Hi hun,

In the early weeks we too had this problem, to be honest i really didnt like the moses basket.It was on a rocking stand which constantly leaned to one side, the mattress was never level, and my LO didnt seem to like it much either.
I think he didnt like it as he couldnt see out.
We bought a cot and have never had a problem since, settles himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->