Baby's 8 month check - results and advice

BabyJayne

Me, DH, DD & pregnant
Reaction score
Madeline had her 8-month check yesterday (at 7.5 months) and was well on form for it!

HV asked could she pass an object from one hand to another, and she did it on cue. Then asked if she could do anything like point or clap hands...and on hearing clap hands Madeline promptly obeyed! HV tested her on picking up small objects (a bit of rolled up paper) and she used the pincer grasp rather than raking it with her fingers.

She measured 67.5cms (gone from the 98th centile for length at birth to the 50th) and weighed 19lb 5oz (just above the 75th centile)! Bit of a chunky monkey!

Anyone worrying about how much water LO is taking, my HV says it's nothing to worry about. They get fluids from food and formula, and as long as you are offering water throughout the day, then they will take what they need. If they are not drinking lots of it, they are obviously getting enough fluids from food and formula. She said babies can't really "dislike" water, as to them it is only there to serve the purpose of stopping them feeling thirsty. They may dislike it though if there is the opportunity of having something sweeter, like juice.

I also asked about follow-on milk, and whether I needed to move Madeline on to it. I was advised that there is no nutritional advantage to follow-on milk and that if LO is happy on first milk then this is fine for the first 12 months, then you can switch to full-fat cows milk.

Anyone else want to share their 8-month check experience?

Summer's not getting one : / . Or I know nothing of one so far. She was 8 months yesterday :) Incase it help she:

Is about 22lbs, not sure on length but she's quite long
Can pass objects and pick them up
Crawls
Pulls up to stand and tries to cruis along furniture.
Says about 8 peoper words.

I dunno what else they'd check for.

Summer also (to me) doesn't drink many fluids through the day but she's happy enough so I don't worry :) xx

Hollie had hers at 9.5 months and did really well. She too picks things up in a pincer like grasp :)
The HV did mention that she has an extra crease on her leg which can be a sign of hip problems so suggested we went and got it checked out. The Dr said all is ok and that it's just an extra bit of baby fat.
Hollie weighed 16lb 15oz at the time and was between the 25th and 50th percentile. She's only a dainty little thing :)

My DD hasn't had an 8 month check either but she can

Pass from one hand to the other
Clap on demand
Pick things up in a pincer grasp
Isn't crawling but rocks on all 4's.
Can sit up from lying down
Can lay herself down from sitting up (without hurting herself)
Say's "Mum, Dad, Nan"
Points at things

She was 17lb when weighed at 8 months 1 week, not sure on length

Hollie had hers at 9.5 months and did really well. She too picks things up in a pincer like grasp :)
The HV did mention that she has an extra crease on her leg which can be a sign of hip problems so suggested we went and got it checked out. The Dr said all is ok and that it's just an extra bit of baby fat.
Hollie weighed 16lb 15oz at the time and was between the 25th and 50th percentile. She's only a dainty little thing :)

Madeline also has an extra crease! We noticed it a few months ago and so got it checked out with our doctor. He didn't think it was anything to worry about. Apparently up until quite recently they would refer all babies with extra creases, but the incidence of hip problems in babies with just an extra crease and no other indicators was tiny. So we were told unless it's accompanied by other signs then should be nothing to worry about. Been told just to keep an eye on crawling or walking, as any problems would become obvious then.

Our appointment came though the post without us doing anything to arrange it - I suppose it depends on your NHS Trust when they get round to doing them. x

Maddison had hers on the 19th of Jan the day before she turned 8 months and she passed.

And i were wondering about the follow on milk as Maddison is on number 2 the hungry baby one and was wondering if i should put her on the follow on milk :) xx

Kacey didnt have one either. But we are still on hungry baby milk and HV said thats fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->