Baby's and pets??

Lushie23

Expecting number 1
Reaction score
Hi all!! I'm expecting my first, a little girl due in jan. Do any of you have dogs? We have 2. A spaniel and a westie. A lot of people ( my mother in law in particular) keeps suggesting we get rid of them as dogs are no good around babies. I agree to some extent. I would never leave my baby in a room alone with my dogs and won't let them get too close. But is rehoming them nescessary? We've had them for 5 years and it would break my heart to see them go. But I don't want my baby to be at risk xx

I have 3 dogs... a great dane, american pitbull mix and a jack russel mix. I also have an African Grey parrot. I don't plan on re-homing any of them. Granted, if any do show aggressiveness towards the baby I will be the first to show them the door. I have had them all for years and they are currently crate trained and we are making areas to block them off to the living room etc so they will be contained.

I have 3 children one on way and 2 dogs and 2 cats it good for children to be raised with animals xx

https://www.today.com/news/labrador-befriends-toddler-down-syndrome-melts-hearts-8C11319748

Just saw this on Today's website... Too precious and fairly close to topic.

DH and I have 2 dogs, an Australian Shepherd and a chihuahua mix. I'm not worried at all about the Aussie, she absolutely loves babies and acts like a lil momma whenever there is one at our house. I babysat a little boy for almost a year and she absolutely adored him. They played toys together and he'd lay on her and sleep it was precious. I am a little concerned about my chihuahua mix.... He tends to be an old man when it comes to being touched or anything like that. I'm hoping he will adjust.

I see no need to rehome unless the dog acts aggressive, why rehome now when you never know they may be LO best protectors.

Edited because my iPhone hates me.

I strongly feel it's morally wrong to rehome pets solely because you are having a child.
WHen we take on our animals, we take them on for the duration. The attachment dogs have to us as owners is amazing. We have our families, friends lives, they only have us and we are the MOST important thing in the world to them
I still only give my terriers limited access to my son, because you can't trust any animal 100%. I trust mine massively, but I am not prepared to put either them or my son in the position where anything can go wrong
Until there is a problem, IF there is ever a problem, then animals are part of the family too, and if the situation is treated with the respect it needs, everyone can be happy x

I dislike people that say 'get rid of them'.. Do a test run see how they are, pets and babies can live together.

Yes you will have to pay extra attention, yes you cant leave them alone together. But they can co-live together.

We have two cats, never had an issue with them.

I have a cat and we lived with my parents for a while who had 2 dogs (westie and greyhound) - I didn't give my daughter much chance to hassle the westie as she was old and going a bit senile however the greyhound loves any kind of attention and has always liked my daughter, love watching them chase each other. The cat is very good with her too, although he has given her a couple of warning smacks he's never scratched her badly or made her bleed. Also had a parrot at my parents, baby liked watching him talk but he was caged as he's attacked a few times, in his own words 'Charlie bad bad boyyy' :haha: Unless you have any genuine worries about how they may behave I'd at least give them a chance first, keeping a close eye of course.

I have a 9 year old boxer and the thought never even crossed my mind to rehome him. I believe pets are like family. All the babies in my dh's family have grown up around my dog (He was my hubbys dog first and i adopted him as my furry baby when we got married lol) Hes always being climbed all over by the little ones in the family and hes always patient and gentle with them. I know not all dogs are like that tho so maybe im just lucky to not have the worry of him being around my baby when shes born. I would definitly give it a test run with them before u make such a huge decision. Good Luck to you!

I have two cats and a dog. All have done great with my previous two!! The dog was curious with ds but he never tried to harm them. Just be a responsible pet owner. I don't even trust my own animals so I don't leave them alone with the kids.

I strongly feel it's morally wrong to rehome pets solely because you are having a child.
WHen we take on our animals, we take them on for the duration. The attachment dogs have to us as owners is amazing. We have our families, friends lives, they only have us and we are the MOST important thing in the world to them
I still only give my terriers limited access to my son, because you can't trust any animal 100%. I trust mine massively, but I am not prepared to put either them or my son in the position where anything can go wrong
Until there is a problem, IF there is ever a problem, then animals are part of the family too, and if the situation is treated with the respect it needs, everyone can be happy x

CT125, very nicely put.
I have a Shih Tzu and SHE is also my baby......When my daughter was born I made sure that I gave my dog the attention she deserved too. It was hard work but I wanted to ensure that she didn't feel neglected or jealous towards my child. But I agree, I do not leave the dog alone with my child.

CT125, very nicely put.
I have a Shih Tzu and SHE is also my baby......When my daughter was born I made sure that I gave my dog the attention she deserved too. It was hard work but I wanted to ensure that she didn't feel neglected or jealous towards my child. But I agree, I do not leave the dog alone with my child.

exactly!
I always thought I'd be able to have them all snuggled up on the sofa together and best of friends. I used to joke that if the baby bit the dogs, it would have to go. However, once i actually HAD my baby, things just fell into place with what I needed to do to ensure both parties were happy, Once LO arrives, you will know what to do in regard to mixing them. :flower:

Hi all!! I'm expecting my first, a little girl due in jan. Do any of you have dogs? We have 2. A spaniel and a westie. A lot of people ( my mother in law in particular) keeps suggesting we get rid of them as dogs are no good around babies. I agree to some extent. I would never leave my baby in a room alone with my dogs and won't let them get too close. But is rehoming them nescessary? We've had them for 5 years and it would break my heart to see them go. But I don't want my baby to be at risk xx

Hi :flower: we have 4 dogs, two border collies, a lab and a rottie . All live in the house . We too are getting lots of advise about them , getting rid of them , leaving them I the shed !! No way !! They are very much part of our family and will remain that way ! Obviously there are very sensible measures that will need to be taken . All my lot are also crate trained so are happy in their beds when needed :) also are house already has baby gates as I don't believe in the dogs running riot in the house when people are over :haha:

Both me and OH love dogs and they are a big part of our lives ,we also partake in dogs sports such as agility and obedience so no way they are going anywhere . I'm sure there will be some major adjustments to be made but we will all get there as a family :)

I have a boxer and she has been no bother with my son now nearly 3 and have another on the way! Best advice i ever got was when you bring baby home let dog sniff baby and even get other half to bring home a piece of clothing baby has had on from hospital for dog tonget used to scent. Our dog has shown nothing but love for our little boy even now when he climbs all over her.

Also when people come to visit baby dogs can get jealous we made sure everyone said hi to the dog before the held our wee boy

Hope this helps xx

We have two Pomeranians, the one is very sweet and loves kids and would never bite, the other one is my hubby's and is a grumpy old annoying dog that growls at everything! imo we should rehome him but hubby won't let me. We're keeping both dogs as I was raised around them and love dogs!
However, if hubby's dog becomes a problem and bite or growls at my baby he might come home to the dog gone as I will not be putting up with that stuff!
Anyway, it in the case of a normal dog I see no reason to give them away.

I have a feeling ill be breastfeeding on one side- and my dog leaning on the other hahahah- he was our first "baby"/"furbaby"- and will always be a part of our family. Growig up my dog was basically like a sibling to me- in every photo with me and my sister for christmas morning, first day of school, birthdays...etc. i miss my childhood dog- she taught me compassion, to be gentle, responsibility and empathy. I know my current furbaby will be all of this for my children when they grow up as well. And sometimes- u just need someone to cuddle and listen to u (pets are always good for that).

I am looking forward to my two cats and one dog meeting our baby. Growing up with pets is a valuable experience. I would never ever give them away, you have to remember they will be confused and upset when a new thing arrives in their house and takes their humans away from them for a while - it's understandable. You just have to be prepared and put strategies in place to deal with it.

I have a labrador and 3 cats and had ZERO issues when DD was born. Just don't leave the baby alone with the dogs. DD loves the dog now and has the poor lab tortured (with kindness)..

I'd like to think I have done a great job "raising"/training my saint bernard.

We dont rehome our first born when number 2 is on the way and sometimes siblings can be so cruel. I know that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Bottom line, people who say "get rid of them" or "rehome" perhaps have a different history with pets that we have had ourselves.

My saint is not expendable.

I have a springer spaniel & a Lhasa apso mix & I wouldn't ever dream of rehoming them, I have no time whatsoever for people saying 'you can't have babies and pets' to me, no wonder so many dogs get put down in shelters if people think as soon as they get pregnant they have to rehome their pet.
Like a PP said, we as the owners are the most precious thing in a dogs life & they think you're there forever. Dogs are for life not until someone decides they don't want them because they're having a baby. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->