Baby's Eye Colour

Dream.A.Dream

Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!
Reaction score
I'm still pregnant but just wondering.

I know that all baby's eyes are blue when they're born and then they gradually change colour. I know that my LO is pretty much guaranteed brown eyes, (my entire family including grandparents on both sides are brown eyed, OH is Indian so his entire family also have brown eyes).

If your baby was born with blue eyes that turned brown, how old were they when they got to their final colour?

xx

your baby wll proberly be born with brown eyes - my baby is 7 weeks old now and her eyes have changed so much in that time

I don't know the answer to your question, but I too thought that all baby's were born with blue eyes. My LO was born with gray eyes. My husband and I both have brown eyes. They have not changed yet as he is only 3 weeks old. I know my brother's eyes finally changed form blue to brown when he was about 3 months old. I think all babies are different. Some change sooner than others.

Elyse was born with dark blue eyes.. they were like navy blue/black. By 1 month they were noticeably changing colour, by 2 months they were brown. I have read it can take one full year to reach their final eye colour though.

I remember being taught in GCSE biology that all babies are born with blue eyes but apparently this isn't true - I think it's an oversimplification based on what happens with most white babies. My hubby is Asian (Pakistani) and he was adamant that all his family were born with brown eyes so our baby would be too, BUT our daughter has blue eyes for now. I've asked the midwife, the health visitor and the GP about it and they all seem to say that a baby's eye colour can change up to three years old (and sometimes even older) but that the colour they are at one year old is the colour they're most likely to stay. I'm sure Leyla's eyes will change to brown at some point but it's nice that she has my eye colour for now. Hubby is desperate for them to stay blue though!

Seths eyes were like a really deep beautiful blue, almost violet, and they turned brown in a few weeks, maybe 9 or 10. Everyone comments on his eyes now :) theyre beautiful :) x

ruby was born with dark dark blue eyes, shes 17 weeks now and they are now almost green, like her dad & grandma!!

I found this:

Q. When will my baby's eyes change color?

That is a common question from parents of infants.

Will their baby's eyes stay gray, which many babies are born with, or will they turn brown, green, or blue?

Most experts think that your baby's eye color will either stay the same or will darken over the first six to nine months of her life. So gray or blue eyes can turn brown, green, or hazel, but brown eyes likely won't lighten and become blue.

Unfortunately, you will likely just have to wait and see what they do.

Harley's eyes are still blue? Their kinda dark...doe that mean hers will eventually change color? We can't even tell what color her hair is yet

Here's what i found about eye colour on a website:

Simply put, a baby will inherit genes from both of his/her parents and these genes combined will determine the eventual eye color of the baby. We say ‘eventual’ because all babies (with a few exceptions) start out life with either blue/gray or brown/black eyes (generally speaking, lighter skinned babies with very little melanin start out life with blue eyes while darker skinned babies with larger amounts of melanin will have brown/black eyes). The eventual color of your baby’s eyes therefore may change as his or her body begins to produce melanin - and this can take anything up to three years (although for most babies this change will occur from around 6 months of age to one year). Thus, babies who have blue eyes in the early months of their lives may end up having brown eyes as they get older (in fact, eye color in some people can change even in adulthood).

A common misconception is that brown-eyed parents will only produce a brown-eyed baby. This is not correct as it is entirely possible for brown-eyed parents to have offspring with blue eyes (or any other color for that matter). Of course, certain combinations of eye color in the parents will increase or decrease the chances of a particular eye color being produced in the baby, but as with most things to do with Mother Nature nothing is ever 100% certain. Likewise, just because both parents have blue eyes, or green eyes, doesn’t mean that the baby will inherit the same eye color. This is because humans carry two copies of every gene, one from the mother and one from the father. These two versions of each gene are called ‘alleles’ and some alleles in each pairing are more dominant than others. In the case of the genes that control eye color, a brown allele for example is dominant over a blue allele, but a child may inherit the recessive allele from either or both parents.

It seems to be a case of everyone being different. Euan had big blue eyes at birth and he still has them now, so I think they will be that way.

Let's see if I remember my genetics. Each parent donates a gene (allele) for eye colour. Brown is dominant, blue is recessive. For a baby to have blue eyes, one grandparent from each side (one of the parent's parents) must have blue eyes. In my case, my mum has brown eyes and my dad has blue eyes. I inherited my dad's blue eyes, so I carry one two recessive blue alleles (since I would have gotten one of my dad's two blue alleles and a recessive blue allele from my mother). Steve has brown eyes: his father is brown-eyed and his mother is blue eyed. He carries one brown dominant allele and one recessive blue allele. Jack's eye colour is entirely dependent on what Steve gave him: if he passed on the dominant brown allele, it will overpower my recessive blue allele. If Steve gave him a recessive blue allele, then Jack's eyes will stay blue (since I only had blue to offer).

However, if both Steve's mum and dad had brown eyes, Jack's eyes would almost for sure be brown, as Steve would have inherited two dominant brown alleles and either one would overpower my blue recessive alleles.

We're hoping they stay blue as they seem to have gotten lighter and bluer since he was born.

There are eye colour predictors to be found online.

Let's see if I remember my genetics. Each parent donates a gene (allele) for eye colour. Brown is dominant, blue is recessive. For a baby to have blue eyes, one grandparent from each side (one of the parent's parents) must have blue eyes. In my case, my mum has brown eyes and my dad has blue eyes. I inherited my dad's blue eyes, so I carry one two recessive blue alleles (since I would have gotten one of my dad's two blue alleles and a recessive blue allele from my mother). Steve has brown eyes: his father is brown-eyed and his mother is blue eyed. He carries one brown dominant allele and one recessive blue allele. Jack's eye colour is entirely dependent on what Steve gave him: if he passed on the dominant brown allele, it will overpower my recessive blue allele. If Steve gave him a recessive blue allele, then Jack's eyes will stay blue (since I only had blue to offer).

However, if both Steve's mum and dad had brown eyes, Jack's eyes would almost for sure be brown, as Steve would have inherited two dominant brown alleles and either one would overpower my blue recessive alleles.

We're hoping they stay blue as they seem to have gotten lighter and bluer since he was born.

There are eye colour predictors to be found online.

Yeah, I am the same as all my OH family and my OH are blue eyed, I have hazel (true hazel, the dark green and brown!) my mum and brother have brown and my dad had green.
However, one of my grandparents had blue eyes, so I guess it depends on whether my mum passed the brown/brown or the brown/blue on to me as to whether I have the recessive blue gene or not. If that's what I pass onto Caidan then he will have blue eyes, if I pass the brown he will have hazel or brown eyes. So, if I pass the blue and he has blue eyes, when my MIL spouts 'Oh, he's got his daddy's blue eyes' should I tell her he actually got them from me???? :haha:

xxx

my little sister was born with freaky black eyes- they ended up brown!

my son had dark blue/ gray looking eyes and they turned brown by about 6 months I think...here is a pic of him at about 1-2 months old and now :)

https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/letiacandice/jeye.jpg

https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/letiacandice/091.jpg

As the girls have said your baby will most likely be born with brown eyes. A tip my mam got of step dads, step mam is that babys with mixed race parentage, any mix white-indian or while-black is the colour of there nuckles is generaly the colour there skin will end up.

My eldest was born wit really dark brown/black eyes and he is 9 next week and they are still really dark brown which is the same as me( we have italian heritage). My youngest was born with really dark greeny grey, but they have a light brown ring around the pupil! I dont know if/when they will change as he is only 4 months old.

I still think Caidan's will go green/hazel or light brown, this is what they look like at nearly 5 months, they are a murky bluey/grey but have a brown hue from the side, and when he is outside they go really dark blue,almost navy. But, who knows???!

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/hibeelady/042.jpg

My LO still has blue eyes, but have got paler! So no clue

Me and my OH both have green eyes! No idea how that works

We're of mixed racial decent, including a fair helping of African American, and all the babies in my family and extended family have been born with dark brown eyes, that essentially stayed that way. Exception being a few family members who have light eyes and passed those to their children. Those babies did start off with blue eyes or grayish eyes. ALSO, every black baby OUTSIDE of my family has been born with dark brown or grayish brown eyes, that went deep brown or near black.
My baby's eyes look almost black with a hint of a jewel toned brown. His father wants them to go lighter. I think this is far fetched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->