Baby's hands and legs shake

weebubbles

Mummy
Reaction score
Hi, when my baby was born his hands and legs used to shake whilst he was lying down. They dont shake violently and is more of a jerking movement and was enough to wake him up. He had low blood sugar levels and one midwife said that was the cause and another said it was just normal.
He is still doing this. Does anyone elses baby do this?

emily used to until she was about
10 weeks old her whole body used to
jerk about ... i was told it was normal

she's fine now :thumbup:

but get a doctor to check her
over if you're worried

:hugs:

xx​

Do you mean the startle reflex? It's where they all of a sudden look like something has made them jump and their little arms and legs jerk. If so, this is completely normal, I'm sure every baby does this. Dylan used to wake himself up with it!

Em would shake when being fed and very now and again she still does. Shaking would last 4 seconds or so but if I saw it starting (always started in her arm) then I would be able to stop it by waking her or pulling her off feed. If I didn't spot it then it would travel over her whole body - She would sometimes wake up herself but sometimes I would sit her up and wake her up. Scared the life out of me a few times esp when I would sit her up and she was in such a deep sleep that she wouldn't wake easily. We noticed that it happened more when she was very very tired and when I asked for advice and researched a bit lots of people said it was to do with her falling into a deep sleep.

Keep an eye on it, see if anything sets it off. If unsure get advice from a professional and get him checked over.

The shaking when they are young or newbron is a sign of an immature nervous system, which is completely normal. If you think it is extreme you can always check with the doctor to reassure yourself.

Byron had shaking at just a couple of days old because of jaundice and it took quite a few weeks to go properly. At the same time there was his normal nervous twitching that all babies have and when older he might to in anticipation of a feed. It's hard to say exactly when the shaking stopped but I do think for it to completely go would have been a few weeks. We spent a long time being anxious in case he was getting jaundiced again.

morgan does it :rofl: his leg goes now n again ! x

Kai used to do it a lot - he used to wake himself out of his sleep all the time with it! We did get him checked out before we took him home and the paediatrician said it was normal and it should pass with time, which it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->