Babys surname - Dont know what to do really need advice :(

You can NOT change the baby's surname at all after it has been registered now. And you couldn't before september 2003 with out the fathers permission!

here in Canada we can still change w/ written permission from all other legal guardians (or written permission from the child if they are over 14) - I would think it definitely puts more strain on the decision without having that option :\

what if you change your last name? do you have the ability to change your childs name with yours at that point?

In that case hun, do as you please. they might be old fashioned and think you guys shoudl get married or something? I dunno.

If you're in love and its amazing just let it flow over you. Everyone has their limitations and you have to accept that your parents have theirs even though its one of the most painful things when its your parents.

It completely your decision hun so you do what you feel right the only thing I will say is I gave Jacob his dads surname and its the biggest mistake I ever made I wish I could turn back the clock and change it, I have even considered changing mine just to be the same as Jacobs x

If it's any help I firmly put a stop to the same problem with my parents by changing my surname to my OH's! lol

They reasoned because my last relationship was 10yrs and hadn't worked out, that this one is similarly doomed. Never mind the fact my ex treated me like a human punchbag and made my life miserable!

My other half was in a 13yr relationship which was mostly one sided and ended badly after his ex-wife left him for someone else. So is he doomed to never have a good relationship again???

We've been together a year and a half now and neither of us have ever felt happier.

By changing my name to his, we were making a stand for ourselves that said This Is OUR Family Unit Now!

Good luck hon!! xx

what if you change your last name? do you have the ability to change your childs name with yours at that point?

No, you can't change it in the UK at all unless you marry the childs dad and change the babys surname to your husbands/the dads.

I cant believe your parents are making you feel like that and I am sure if you were to split up they would be there for you so whats the point in even saying that and upsetting you. Maybe you should sit down with them one night and say 'thank you for all your help and suggestions, but me and OH are 100% decided (if you both are, which it sounds like) that this will be babies surname and if we split up then what my babies surname will be is the last thing on my mind!' (or something to that effect!)

Make sure you stress to them that extra stress coming from them is not helpful and although you respect their opinions its your and OH's decision).

Me and my OH arnt married and my baby will have OH surname. Hopefully we will get married soon, but if the worst did happen I would still want my child to feel part of OHs life and at the end of the day you both loved each other when you had a child and that was the decision you made at the time. If you really have considered it carefully theres no point in regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->