Baby's weight??

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a bit worried. William was 6lb 11 at birth. On day 5 he only lost 1oz and was 6lb 10. On day 10 he was still 6lb 10. Today- day 13, I have just weighed him and now he is 6lb 9.5. I known its only a 0.5 loss but its still a loss, he is meant to be gaining weight, not losing it? Should I be concerned? xx

hi
my youngest dexter is 9 weeks-he did this too-weight was static between 3 days and 13 days.He had tongue tie and was jaundiced.He is breastfed and once the tongue tie was sorted eventually his weight picked up-he started to put on 7oz a week after the 13 day point.Is he sleepy and jaundiced? dexter was very difficult to wake and had to be stripped and rubbed with a cloth to wake him up enough to feed- poor love!.How are williams nappies? is he weeing/pooing normally? dexter didnt wee for 12 hours so we were checked but he picked up,the tongue tie was snipped at 2 days,but as i say took till day 13 to start gaining. I know its worrying,did whoever weighed him have any concerns?william is gorgeous,congratulations:)

hi
my youngest dexter is 9 weeks-he did this too-weight was static between 3 days and 13 days.He had tongue tie and was jaundiced.He is breastfed and once the tongue tie was sorted eventually his weight picked up-he started to put on 7oz a week after the 13 day point.Is he sleepy and jaundiced? dexter was very difficult to wake and had to be stripped and rubbed with a cloth to wake him up enough to feed- poor love!.How are williams nappies? is he weeing/pooing normally? dexter didnt wee for 12 hours so we were checked but he picked up,the tongue tie was snipped at 2 days,but as i say took till day 13 to start gaining. I know its worrying,did whoever weighed him have any concerns?william is gorgeous,congratulations:)

Thanks for replying. He is still a bit jaundiced, eyes still have a yellow tinge, as does his skin. He seems fine in himself although he has had thrush and came out in rash yesterday- Dr said its excema though i am not convinced personally. He has seemed unsettled last 2 days but is feeding well and lots of wet/dirty nappies. On wednesday at 10 days HV said it was ok he had stayed at 6lb 10 as he only lost a tiny bit of birth weight but thought he's have gained some by now, i have my own scales loaned to me on the CONI scheme so weighed him myself today, so no idea if its still 'ok' xx

There might be a little variation in the scales Hun try not to worry too much. Is the hv coming again soon to weigh him? Xx

There might be a little variation in the scales Hun try not to worry too much. Is the hv coming again soon to weigh him? Xx

The midwife and health visitor both used my scales...yes, hv is coming on Monday xx

OT but congrats on your William :hugs::hugs: Eve must be so proud :kiss:

My eldest did this and she was a slow gainer when she did eventually begin to gain too (one to two ounces a week) ... I know it's hard but try not to weigh him daily as it will cause you to worry Hon :hugs: Just like adults their weight will vary at different times during the day depending on when they last had a feed/did a poo/wee etc xxxx

hi

Thanks for replying. He is still a bit jaundiced, eyes still have a yellow tinge, as does his skin. He seems fine in himself although he has had thrush and came out in rash yesterday- Dr said its excema though i am not convinced personally. He has seemed unsettled last 2 days but is feeding well and lots of wet/dirty nappies. On wednesday at 10 days HV said it was ok he had stayed at 6lb 10 as he only lost a tiny bit of birth weight but thought he's have gained some by now, i have my own scales loaned to me on the CONI scheme so weighed him myself today, so no idea if its still 'ok' xx

hi
from what you've said re nappies etc it sounds ok to me,but obviously see someone if you are concerned-you know your baby best:hugs:.Is william alert when awake? dexter wasnt at 3 days which is why we were checked,but he did improve.The unsettledness could maybe be growth spurt related-this happens about 2 weeksish(you probably know this:blush: but i forgot and this is my 9th baby!).dexter lost an ounce between 11 and 13 days,then gained 3 ounces in 2 days! so it can be very variable.hope his weight picks up asap-its horrible to worry:hugs:

LoraLoo I didn't even realise William had arrived!! Huge congratulations my lovely :hugs:

If you are concerned have a word with your MW or HV - I think they start to get concerned if they aren't gaining by 3 weeks old, but can't harm to have a chat about it xx

:hugs: First off, congrats!!!!!!!!!

Second, if he's having plenty of dirty/wet nappies, I wouldn't worry if it were me. Babies are only meant to really be weighed every month to look for weight gain. :)

Congrats! Don't forget it is normal for babies to lose up to 10% of birthweight in first couple of weeks. The main thing is that he is feeding and having wet nappies. Chat with hv Monday but try not to weigh him daily, it's too easy to get fixated and stress unnecessarily xx

I've got no advice but just wanted to say congratulations!

You've had him congrats!!

On topic I wouldn't worry at all hun xx he's so cute!

I wouldnt worry too much, the doctor reminded me the other day that all babies are different and there is very rarly a normal as 50% are above normal and 50% below it. My little one was born at 9lb 11, he dropped to 9lb 5 then wheen he was 3 weeks was 9lb 14 so not that big of a gain really. He is now 23 weeks and still only just above 16lb so always been a slowish gained but he never stops moving so think he burns most of it off.

Awww Hun I didn't even realise baby had arrived,congratulations,he's so gorgeous,just like his sister.I'm obsessed with weight gain and worry all the time,if he's giving u plenty of wet dirty nappies then I think everything should b fine but I can understand u being worried,I would give ur hv or mw a call just to get somepeace of mind xx

Thanks so much for all your replies, much appreciated. I'm going to try and not think about it too much and put it to the back of my mind until monday when i see HV. Just hard when there is a set of scales sat there whispering 'weigh him, weigh him!' every time i walk past them :blush: lol :dohh: xxx

Congratulations! They're not worried unless LO loses more than 10% of their birthweight. Holly was readmitted to hospital within the first week as she had lost 13%, but she was fine and soon caught up. As long as he is feeding well, and has plenty of dirty and wet nappies he's fine. x x

I really wouldn't worry and would step away from the scales! I have the scales too, due to issues with my others suddenly failing to gain weight so my GP supported me getting some to keep an eye out for anything like that but there was a point where I ended up weighing him daily. Eventually I realised their weight does fluctuate from day to day and this is why under normal circumstances its advised to weigh only once at around 5-7 days to guage weight percentage lost, then again at around 2 weeks to see if birthweight is regained, and then no more than once a month after that. If you hadn't weighed at all during this time and by two weeks your son is back up to his birthweight, you'd just presume he did lose quite a bit of weight in that time and then slowly regained it, and wouldn't have been worried. Also with the jaundice, it does tend to affect boys more badly than girls in many families regardless of how well feeding is going or anything else. My second eldest didn't lose anything; had gained 3oz by about 4-5 days old when they came to see how much he had lost; and well over a pound by 10 days old yet he was quite badly jaundiced and had my mum not been there to fight my corner he probably would have been readmitted for phototherapy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->