Back ache, tummy ache and leg ache. 5 year old

DCS

Reaction score
DS has been regularly complaining about all 3. His tummy ache usually starts once he gets to bed, usually takes him a little bit longer than normal to get to sleep if he has mentioned it. Last night he said it was near his ribs at the top of him tummy iygwim.
He woke up this morning crying because his legs were aching, Yesterday on the way home he complained his back was hurting.
He runs around all the time. He rarely sits still ( unless poorly with a fever) so I just figured his leg ache was down to throwing himself around. His tummy ache I assumed was down to poor eating sorry maybe a delay tactic to not go to bed.
Doesn't he seem a bit young for back ache? I thought it was maybe his bag was to heavy so made him take less and we carry it for him if he asks but it's still happening. I did mention it to the drs but he didn't seem to concerned about it. I should add the dr said it would probably stop once his iron levels increased, but he has to take the iron for atleast 6 weeks at a very low dose. So no idea how long it will be before his levels reach " normal" . 6 weeks in a very long time for a 5 year old who is in pain.

Anyone experienced this? Or have any ideas as to what it could be?

Yes, I'm quite sure they did when oh took him to the urgent care centre a couple weeks ago. I'm sure it was clear otherwise I'm sure oh would have mentioned it.

Did you check his vit D level?

It could be nothing, does he get unexplained fever from time to time? How is his health in general? Vit D defficiency can cause aches in bones & muscles, rheumatoid arthritis can also cause those symptoms if he suffers from fevers from time to time.

The only fevers he gets are usually when he has an ear infection or tonsilitis. No random ones. I can't remember his vit d levels. But he wasn't given anything for it so I assume it is fine. He had a blood test done several weeks ago to check for alot of things.
His diet is poor, he is usually quite run down after school and needs most of the weekend to recover. He sleeps between 10-12 hours a night. He suffers from enlarged tonsils persistently. His tonsils are rarely regular sized. His ferritin levels are very low (10) which is why he has been given iron medication.

Sorry he's not well. My son had similar symptoms for about 5 months. One day, he just couldn't walk as the pain in his legs was so bad so he had emergency xrays and blood tests - very scary. It turned out to be glandular fever which they discovered with a blood test. Have they tested him for that?

I don't think they have tested pull for glandular fever. I think I'm just going to try to get him in to see the dr on Monday. Hopefully they can figure out what itnis and how to stop it. Thanks.

sorry hes not well. does he have allergys that could account for tge tummy pain swollen glands and he could have growing pains.

We took him to the drs the other day. Dr has given him some gaviscon because he has some acid. Which would cause the tummy ache. He also mentioned that his tonsils are very swollen. And I believe he noted this down, which I presume is the reason for his constant cough. With the back pain h3 couldn't see any problems with his spine but suggested the aches could just be a combination of growing pains and his tiredness from the lack of iron. Hopefully this passes soon because he is struggling to walk home, doesn't want to run about, wants to spend most of his time sitting around, and gets very upset because of the pain. Oh has been giving him a massage after bath when he is home and it seems to help him settle easier. I feel so bad for the kid, it's just constant for him. Either he has tonsilitis or its something else, his tonsils are always huge and he has a cough all the time. He is drained, emotional and always tired. I just hope the iron works and he goes back to being a regular kid who runs about loads and has fun. I wish there was more I could do for him.

Maybe try a chiropractor? If his spine is slightly out of alignment it would be painful - I have adjustments regularly and it's not painful to have done, no meds and the relief can be instant. My daughter needed adjustments as a baby and slept through them! No harm in trying 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->