Back from hospital - not good news :-(((

cuddles314

Proud Mummy to Bobby
Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly thanks to everyone for their good luck wishes today.
Well went off for my appt with docs to discuss the results of the growth scan. Got confirmation that 2nd glucose test came back fine, bp was fine-again, bubs still head down, low, and good heartbeat. So all good in that way.
But,
they said they will not induce me, as it's their policy not to induce
"just because it's a big baby"!!!
Ok, but going by their estimates, and their dating scan I'm already at
10lb 2oz, with 4 more bloody weeks left, and that's if bubs comes on time!! Forgive me if I'm over reacting, but that doesn't just potentially mean a big baby, (as in the higher side of average) but could be a HUGE baby.
Then the top consultant was spoken to, and he sent word back (was too busy to speak to me in person) that I should just wait till labour starts naturally, and then if I "can't manage" then I can just have a c-section.
I was like, HELLO!!!!!! :help:
That's what I'm bloody trying to avoid, if at all possible!!
Oh, and I also won't be allowed to use the pool, as apparently they won't let you if they think that bubs is over 10lb, not sure exactly why. :hissy:
So despite me having a reletively trouble free pregnancy so far, good bp, no other illnesses, or problems, they just will not induce me. They didn't seem to care that I am now suffering lots of pain in my hips and back, just told me that was to be expected. No, really?
Can't believe they're just gonna leave me to see what happens. If bubs keeps growing fast, I'll def have to have a c-section, and I just don't see why they can't induce me after 37 weeks.
I feel like an experiment,
"lets see how big the baby gets, and whether she can push it out of her woo-ha!"
They said that they may let me have a sweep at 39 weeks, a whole week early, thanks.
Sorry for the long rant girls. Just feel so down now. :cry:
Please let bubs come soon.
x

Oh god sorry to hear you got bad news :(
I cant believe that they wont induce you!
Also, Im sure Ive heard before that the weight estimations are wrong sometimes.. But still if they *think* the baby is going to be so big surely they should help you out!

:hugs:
xx

my friends have been given est weights at scans & have never been right
i have one friend they est her baby at 9.7 he was born 6.4
my other was est at 7.2 and was born 9.4

how accurate did they tell you the weight scan was?
x

I sort of understand the fact that they won't induce you prematurely at the stage you are now....but they could do it at 37wks:hissy:

You'll be more at risk and so will baby if you go full term and baby is over 10lbs now....I think you should ask for a 2nd opinion and if that needs to be at a different hospital even...then so be it. This is your life and your baby's life too and it's a very, very important decision. please don't just go along with what 1 consultant has told you if you disagree as you may kick yourself later on.

Babe....get a second opinion and be firm and don't budge. See if your midwife will back you up, if not then leave her out of it.

I'm so angry for you:hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy:

Good luck chick:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hug:

Also, Im sure Ive heard before that the weight estimations are wrong sometimes.. But still if they *think* the baby is going to be so big surely they should help you out!

xx

Thanks hun.

I just can't believe it either. It's not as if I'm really pre-term, or there are any indications that bubs or myself are not healthy. Just think it's crap that they'll let me carry on, whilst in pain, and then watch me try to birth a really big baby, and prob end up with an emergency section. It just seems a bit unneccessary and pointless really.
CRAP

I sort of understand the fact that they won't induce you prematurely at the stage you are now....but they could do it at 37wks:hissy:

You'll be more at risk and so will baby if you go full term and baby is over 10lbs now....I think you should ask for a 2nd opinion and if that needs to be at a different hospital even...then so be it. This is your life and your baby's life too and it's a very, very important decision. please don't just go along with what 1 consultant has told you if you disagree as you may kick yourself later on.

Babe....get a second opinion and be firm and don't budge. See if your midwife will back you up, if not then leave her out of it.

Completely agree x

xx

Thanks hun.

I just can't believe it either. It's not as if I'm really pre-term, or there are any indications that bubs or myself are not healthy. Just think it's crap that they'll let me carry on, whilst in pain, and then watch me try to birth a really big baby, and prob end up with an emergency section. It just seems a bit unneccessary and pointless really.
CRAP

Yeah exactly!
I really hope you get something sorted soon :hugs::hug:
xx

just found this online

Can ultrasound tell me the weight of my baby?

A sonographer will take various measurements during an ultrasound including: Head circumference, measurement from one side of the head to the other (biparietal), Thigh bone (femur) length and abdominal circumference. A computer generates an estimate of the baby's weight based on those findings.

Bear in mind that these are indeed estimates. Ultrasounds used to predict weight of the baby can be inaccurate by 10% or more. Be very cautious to schedule an induction or cesarean based soley on the findings of a "large" baby based on ultrasound measurements.

:hugs: Have lots of sex as soon as you get to 37 weeks (must be 'good orgasmic sex' according to my midwife :rofl:). The gel they insert when they admit you for an induction is a prostaglandin gel, which gets your cervix ready for labour (softens and shortens it and starts dilation). Although some women will then be put on a drip to start contractions or have their waters broken afterwards, lots do go into labour themselves after having the gel inserted.

Semen contains prostaglandins so it can have the same effect as the gel x

Thanks hun. That's all I was asking, was that they consider induction once I get to 37 weeks. I don't really know what to do now. I see a different doctor every time I go, although they're all under the same consultant, and he says they won't induce, and have also seen a different midwife on all but two occasions. The nurses and the phlebotomist seem to know me best, and they're the only ones who seem to share my concerns. Just feel like I'm being treated as a number, not a person.
:cry:

just found this online

Can ultrasound tell me the weight of my baby?

A sonographer will take various measurements during an ultrasound including: Head circumference, measurement from one side of the head to the other (biparietal), Thigh bone (femur) length and abdominal circumference. A computer generates an estimate of the baby's weight based on those findings.

Bear in mind that these are indeed estimates. Ultrasounds used to predict weight of the baby can be inaccurate by 10% or more. Be very cautious to schedule an induction or cesarean based soley on the findings of a "large" baby based on ultrasound measurements.

Thanks hun. I know they're not always accurate, but even accounting for a 10% margin of error, it's likely that bubs will still be very large. What worries me most is how much more he/she could grow before he/she is born.
Also I have had 3 growth scans now, so they can't be that wrong, and you can see from the measurements that bubs has a large head and tummy, and long legs.
x

Awwww hun thats awful :hugs: thats total rubbish fun :( Dont quite know what to say other than i hope you have your dates wrong and you go soon and/or they have totally cocked up the weight scans :hugs:

it says 10% or more, but if i were u id get a second opinion speak to ur midwife or doc hun & let us all know how it goes, good luck

xx

I had a biostress ultrasound and the did some serious measuring of LO when I was 37 weeks along. They anticipated that the baby was 8.5 lbs at that time. I know that's smaller than your LO but every week baby supposedly grows 8 oz or so. I had her on my due date so she should have been almost 10lbs at birth. She wasn't even 8 pounds when she was born.

That's 2 full lbs off the estimate!

Hang in there!
:hug:

:hug: aww hun, I'm sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. I hope bubs comes soon for you naturally, or stops growing so fast. 4 weeks is a long time, but it won't go on forever. I hope you're feeling a bit better about it all today :hugs:

I was told Chloe would be at least 9lbs- she was 6lb 12oz. they may not be right.

:hugs: Whats ars*s! I thought they had to deliver early if baby was on the big side :huh:
Here Some labor dust hun and lets hope u go early.. :dust::dust::dust:

xxx

Oh hon, sorry to hear that you did't have such a good app. yesterday. I have to be honest I am personally not convinced at all with their estimate that they give people for their babies. At 34 weeks they told my friend her baby was 7lb and when he was born 6+1 later he only weighed 6lb 6oz.

Stick to your guns though with what you want. x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"