• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Back pains that come with caring for babies :(

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
Nobody warned me about the overwhelming upper back pain that would come along with caring for a newborn 24-7.

Like most babies, Oliver wants to be held all the time, but complying with his demands strains my upper back, shoulders, neck, my arms, even my wrists. The near constant hunching and leaning over during his feedings, baths, doesn't help the situation either.

What's going to happen to my back etc, as he gross from 6lb's to 20 pounds?

Feeding him and holding him in my arms is starting to become unbearable..and i only gave birth a week ago! :( Any one else get this, advice?? xx

Have you thought about getting a carrier for when he just wants to be held?
A sling type carrier is perfect for a newborn.

Have you thought about getting a carrier for when he just wants to be held?
A sling type carrier is perfect for a newborn.

Hi yeah i wanted one for him but when i looked online for one they all seem t say suitable for babies that are 8lbs plus. Oliver is only 6lb 8 :( x

Heres a link to one on ebay, they only have a maximum weight, not a minimum one
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREEDOM-SLIN...yZ137725QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi

You've reminded me how aching you get caring for a newborn. It will pass though - not sure if our bodies just build more muscles or what but it WILL get better.
In the meantime try and support yourself as much as possible when you're feeding your baby. Make sure you've got plenty of cushions to support your arms and put one behind your back to keep your posture right.

Leaning over the bath etc isn't good - are you using a baby bath or the big bath? Can you just wash him in the sink for the time being to save your back?

Be careful to bend your knees when you pick things up as well, can really help your back

My back hurts all the time too! When you first have you LO I think you feel it more as your not used to holding & lifting a baby.....and could they make the car seat any heavier, that doesn't help, must have been designed by a man!!!

I was complaining about my back to my mum the other day and she said 'you can't get a bad back from lifting a baby, I never got a bad bak from carrying or lifting you!' she then carried noah for about 2 mins in to a shop and said to me 'here, you take him, he's hurting my back!' Huh???

Noah's almost 16lbs now so I try and go to his level when I play with him rather than lifting him all the time!

Hope it gets a lil better soon xxx

My back hurts loads!! Bethanie's over 21lbs and the clingy sort! ouch. Shes just learnt to crawl so always wants to get down recently though :)

Sling definitely a great idea!

Hi hun,

When feeding as has already been said, make sure you have plenty of pillows or cushions under your arms or baby whilst you feed, I always did that and never found feeding hard work.

When you bath little one, if possible why not have Oliver in the bath with you? That is another thing that I do, especially now Alfie is getting older, it makes it a lot less hassle and involves no straining.

What AG suggested is a good idea about the carriers.....

Good Luck hun! x

I try Bethanie in the bath with me but she is all over the place! I can't even get washed ahhh

What do you girls do when they're too big, she climbs out of Bumbo and I can't just leave her on the floor as there is a step up to the shower/bath/loo area??

Tilly, I have Alfie in the bath with me and get him washed and sorted then Paul takes him off me and sorts him out whilst I then have my bath.

As for leaving her when you leave the room, have you not got a walker you can put her in?

If you don't already have one, why not invest in a travel cot, there are some reasonably cheap ones now, and honestly they are a god send!! You can pop Bethanie in there whilst you make a drink, prepare dinner.....anything and you will know she is safe! I used mine soo much with Jade as we travelled a lot too, it was one of the best things I had! x

uahhh, I have the same :hissy:

got specially prepared with changing table on the cot bed, with a baby bath which holds on the normal bath and even with a pouch sling!

but picking up and putting down little one 24/7 makes me backache as well!!!

wonder if those breastfeeding pillows are the solution???

they say, your back is still weak after giving birth as you still have this hormon which softens all muscles in your body, so you will be able to give birth!

and they advice you should be careful with your back!

but lifting up 3kg the entire day is causing backache to such an unsportive person like me, whether I am careful with my back or not!!!

sorry, sweetsammi, no offence meant, do not want to say you are unsportive as well!

I think - or let's say I hope - it will just go by the time when this hormon finally leaves the body and the muscles start to build up!

my back is fine again.

hope yours as well :hi:

Glad ur feelin better mickey :) Well. ive been stupid..My aches all disappeared yay!! Then i went out clothes shopping and tried to carry too many bags back from town..and now its worse then ever! :( Stupid girl!! Got some lovely size 8 skinny jeans though yayayay! :D Advice girls...make ur OH carry them heavy bags for u lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"