Bad blurry vision & loss of vision?

honeysuede

Reaction score
So today I have been having bad fuzzy / blurry vision mainly in one eye & sometimes I lose vision in it completely. I now have a dull headache with it as the blurriness comes & goes and light seems to make the vision worse. I was told this morning that my blood pressure was low which is normal for me. I also had the flu jab this morning but I doubt that could effect it? anyone had this? xx

I've had this since I was 19. Occasionally this happens, and it's the effect of headaches. And in severe cases migraines. I was told by my doctor that with migraines/headaches they can effect 1 of the 5 senses. Vision being one of them.
So I wouldn't worry as long as it subsides of course.

Thanks for the reply! do you think I could take paracetemol for it? I know they usually say it is ok in pregnancy but not sure if it will help x

Thanks for the reply! do you think I could take paracetemol for it? I know they usually say it is ok in pregnancy but not sure if it will help x

I wouldn't. It will pass. If the vision loss and disturbance lasts for hours go get it checked. Usually if it's relate to a migraine/headache it will subside (the vision loss) within about an hour or so.

I am a long-time migraine sufferer, and I experience "classic" migraines with auras. It's different for everyone, but for me, I start out with a blind spot, which then turns into this zig-zagging flashing light. The aura usually only lasts 30-60 minutes, although with my last migraine I did have two auras, which has happened to me before. Usually with these types of migraines, you'll get an aura then the headache comes after. Sensitivity to light and sound are other common symptoms.

These types of headaches are very common and not a cause for concern. But if this is the first headache like this you have ever experienced, I think it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it. My doctor is always asking whether the aura pattern changes, so even if you're a regular migraine sufferer and something new comes up, it is worth mentioning. Good luck!

Paracetamol is no longer considered safe in pregnancy. It was in the news a few months ago. Can't remember why off the top of my head now but will go and dig out an article on it...

Thanks for the replies! Yes, that is exactly what happened, the zig-zagging blurs and extreme sensitivity to light for about 1.5 hours then a really bad headache that lasted until the next day. I will mention it at my booking appointment, hopefully it was a one off.
Oh I had no idea about paracetemol, the lady in the chemist told me to take itwhen I asked if there was anything I could do for migrianes while pregnant, I will read up on it now,, thanks xx

Like a previous poster mentioned, I also get migraines with aura. So this is what you think you have as well?

For me in this pregnancy they are much more frequent than usual, where as with my two other healthy pregnancies I had less migraines than normal. Some other symptoms for me sometimes include numbness in one arm/hand and temporary speech problems (sounds scary, I know... but things go back to normal after about 30-40 mins).

I take paracetamol, where as I would normally take ibuprofen (but would rather not take then when pregnant). I'm not aware of any study that says paracetamol is unsafe in pregnancy. Can someone send a link? Somebody will *always* be saying SOMETHING is unsafe in pregnancy. The symptoms that follow the onset of the migraine attack can sometimes be pretty bad, and I don't think 500 mg of paracetamol here and there will affect the fetus/embryo (but please post a source if someone strongly disagrees - curious to see the research).

Good luck - hope your migraines stop soon, they can be quite annoying!

There are many study's that have tested the safety of paracetamol in pregnancy but the NHS website state it is safe to use in all stages of pregnancy . Also if your doctor or pharmacy have said it is ok to use then I would listen to them. As far as I understand paracetamol is one of the only pain relief you can take but it is recommended to take the minimum dose and only if you really need it.
I would take medical advice regarding medications etc from a medical professional and not from a forum - forums are great but you are at risk of being misinformed!

What your experiencing is migraine with aura. It is usually due to such a high rise in your hormones but in later stages of pregnancy -headaches and vision disturbances are sometimes linked to pre-eclampsia.
I've suffered with these and at times the migraine is so severe I have to take paracetamol. I also find a cold flannel over my head/ eyes helpxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->