Bad call after a scan

katsbump

Reaction score
On Friday I had an unexpected scan after dr couldn't find a heartbeat with the Doppler. Anyway, baby was fine when scanned, great little heartbeat, etc. That night, however, I received a call from an obstetrician saying he was seeing something odd in the nuchal area and couldn't tell if it was an artifact from the scan or a real problem. We now are going in for a scan tomorrow in which I assume they will do the nuchal test. I was booked in for Friday of this week for this test. I was also supposed to have blood drawn for a maternity21 test during the original Friday appointment this coming week. What is likely to happen in the US under good insurance if the results look bad tomorrow? Will I likely get the maternity21 test right away. Would they try to book me in for CVS for this week or some similar diagnostic test, or will I likely have to wait on the blood test results which takes about a week. Obviously having a terrible weekend but would love some insight into what might happen next. I'm 35+ so I know that plays into results and things.

I suspect they will take another look at the nuchal fold (and likely do a full nuchal scan and maybe the blood tests too) and tell you whether they see anything of concern. If they don't, they may just have you continue on with getting MaterniT21 anyway to get a clear answer. I don't suspect they would do a CVS or amnio unless MaterniT21 came back showing chromosomal issues, and they wanted to confirm definitively.

My friend is 36, PG with #5, and they did both the nuchal scan/blood screen and MaterniT21.

If they see something concerning, they will probably offer you either the CVS or the MaterniT21 and let you decide. I don't know which of the 2 would get you results faster. I had the MaterniT21 when I was pregnant with daughter and I got those results 10 days (including weekend days) after the blood draw, so fairly quickly. I think I"ve read the CVS can get you preliminary results in 3 days?? I think. You could always do the MaterniT21 and then if the results came back showing a concern, then go on to a more invasive test like the amnio. My OB and my perinatologist were both good with giving me options and letting me decide. Oh, and even if the results from the scan are good, which I hope they are!, you should still be able to do the MaterniT21 tomorrow if you want. Because of my age, I didn't even bother with the usual blood test they do with the nuchal, but instead went ahead and had the MaterniT21. Good luck!

Thank you! I am praying everything is fine tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->