bad for pregnant women?

Discussion in 'Teen Pregnancy' started by joanneNbabyx, Jan 23, 2011.

1. joanneNbabyx

joanneNbabyx Well-Known Member

hey, well ive been trying not to take in any caffeine, which unfortunately means no coca-cola or pepsi.:( but ive just recently realized an alternative!:) (forgot there was caffeine free pepsi and coke lol)
    but on the label it says it contains phenylalanine...is this bad?ive tried searching the net but no luck:(..and im really needing a sip right now!lol

2. rainbows_x

rainbows_x Mummy.

I think its aspartame that they say to stay away fom, I'm not sure though.
    When I was pregnant I drank about a lite of cola every day and my baby is fine :)

3. shimmy

shimmy mummy , daddy and baby

i was told that we are not allowed diet drinks, but i dont know how true this is you might want to look it up as i think coke de-caff is diet. But i mean i have been drinking robinsons fruit squash all of pregnancy as i cant stand water it says it contains a source of phenylalanine and my baby is big and healthy and i read nothing bad about it.

As for caffeine i drink a coffee everyday and a few fatty cokes on weekends :)

4. MissRoxie

MissRoxie Well-Known Member

You can still have caffeine hun theres just guidelines on how much you should have i.e they say no more than 8 cans of coke in one day etc.

5. MissRoxie

MissRoxie Well-Known Member

Caffeine: It's important not to have more than 300mg a day. This is because high levels of caffeine can result in babies having a low birth weight, or even miscarriage.
    Each of these contains roughly 300mg of caffeine:
    3 mugs of instant coffee (100mg each)
    4 cups of instant coffee (75mg each)
    3 cups of brewed coffee (100mg each)
    6 cups of tea (50mg each)
    8 cans of cola (up to 40mg each)
    4 cans of 'energy' drink (up to 80mg each)
    8 (50g) bars of plain chocolate (up to 50mg each). Caffeine in milk chocolate is about half that of plain chocolate
    So if you eat a bar of plain chocolate and drink 3 cups of tea, a can of cola and a cup of instant coffee in a day, you'll have reached your 300mg limit.

Found it in a thread Wobbles posted;

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/866-not-eat-during-pregnancy.html

:D

6. AP

AP Well-Known Member

It's defo aspartame in diet drinks so they are best avoided too, it's linked to premature births

7. joanneNbabyx

joanneNbabyx Well-Known Member

thanks everyone :)

8. amygwen

amygwen Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline

You can drink caffeinated beverages as long as it is moderated. I used to have like 10 cans a week or so :flower: