bad head cold

sjminimac

Reaction score
hiya. My poor little boy has picked up a full blown head cold and is really suffering :cry: what can i do for him? I'm monitoring his temp and giving him calpol as per required dosage. He can't sleep flat because he's so snotty i think it keeps going down the back of his throat and he keeps choking so i've come downstairs to sit upright on the sofa and he's asleep with his head on my shoulder. He had karvol on a muslin square tied to a bar on his cot which made no difference. I have a nasal aspirator, well 2 actually both bulbs and both seem useless. Is there some trick to using them? The poor little man is shattered :( :(

is that the nasal sucker thing? don't use those, they aren't great, use the nasal spray, it is just saline water, but softens anything up their nose and it will just de bung them. try taking him in a steamy bathroom, also when you give him a bath fill the sink with hot water, makes it extra steamy!
we found the karvol on a cloth really calmed olly down, so we carry it around the house so if we on the sofa it on the back, it on the back of his bouncy chair etc etc.
hope your LO is better soon xxx

My LO is exactly the same and has a terrible cough. Its heartbreaking when after doing/giving everything u can and they still unwell.

I've been giving my LO Benylin childrens cough syrup, calprofen and been using saline spray but he still gets bunged up/coughing loads and I have to continuously prop him up in bed so he can atleast breathe a little easier. Its hard tho cuz he keeps sliding to one side of the cot and it wakes him up so the poor lil guy is shattered.

Sorry not much help, but your not alone hun.
It's horrible when they're ill and you cant help them much.

:hugs: xx

p.s. FYI apparently caplrofen is better for colds than calpol...hope tht helps :)

oh your poor little man. I hope he feels better soon. I'll get some calprufen, thanks for the tip. It's horrible, even in his sleep he keeps pulling faces like it hurts to swallow :cry: i just want to take it away x

Oh bless him its awful when they have rotten colds as they find it so hard to eat and sleep.
Carry on giving him calpol when you can and have you got any vapour rub? I find that really helps my two and also the calpol plug ins are really good.
I also put a bowl of water under their radiators with some karvol drops in.
I hope your LO is feeling better soon xxxxxx

Aw, poor Charlie :(
My LO had a bad cold when he was about 8 weeks old - we used the saline drops. They were good. I also got some essential oil stuff from Boots that you put in a bowl of water in the bedroom to ease congestion. I can't remember what it was called, but it was for babies and it had a teddybear on the package.
I also took him in the bathroom while me or DH showered. The steam seemed to help and the sound of the shower made him sleep!
I considered letting him sleep in his swing overnight too, so that he was more upright (making it easier for him to breathe), but he didn't need to in the end.
I hope Charlie is well soon.
xx

i think them nasal aspirators are great!

Sit him in the shower room with the steam and use a nasal spray/drops it helps congestion. After you have done the above you could use the nasal aspirator as the shower/drops loosens it.

Also just give him drinks of cooled boiled water and calpol.

Also you could put some karvol that you have in a bowl of warm water in the room to humidify it a little.

Hope he gets better soon x

sorry the nasal aspirator i was taking about is from boots. Its a blue 4littleones aspirator which you such through a tube (theres a filter dont worry) and put the other end at the nostril of your baby. Brilliant!!! Link below

https://www.lloydspharmacy.com/weba...Id=1008&storeId=90&productId=337020&langId=-1

I got one previous from mothercare and it was a load of rubbish!! x

from what I remember, vicks and carvol won't actually help. They just contain oils that make the skin more receptive to cold air. You can put some drops of lavender and menthol in hot water for the calming effect. My LO also has a rotten cold and he sleeps in a baby rocker atm. (Kind of a bouncy chair on rockers, not a swing) which seems to help with the breathing.

Seconding the saline drops suggestion, they work great. The ones in the little bottles work better but the spray one is easier to use I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->