Bad landlords...

Trinity42

Mommy to Mika
Reaction score
okay so over a month ago my apartment got flooded due to my neighbors above me flushing something down the tolet well long long story short they dried my carpet but a week after i found black mold in my celing and now they are telling me I cant move out becasue my lease was AUTO renewd without my permission... To make things worse our fridge has been out for over a week now and the mant guy has tried to fix it 4 times and its still hot. We lost over $200.00 in food. My house smells like mold and its been hell for the past month. I was going to take the video that I took of the flooding to the dr and get advice from her this morning... I want to take a piece of the celing where they just painted over the mold and didnt bother to fix the problem before they just covered it up... I dont know what to do my lease is supposed to be up Dec 31 but ince they auto renewd it they are telling me I have to pay $700.00 if I move out. I have a new plce that we put a downpayment on Friday. I know kinda of pointless thread but for the love of god IM PREGNANT LIVING IN A MOLD INFESTED APARTMENT THAT THEY REFUSE TO FIX PROBLEMS they just cover them up...

That is not good. Sorry I don't have any advice for you as i notice you are in the US. Do you have anything similar yo our Citizen's Advice?

Trin, my OH (who is an attorney and a landlord) says it's illegal. Go through your contract, where does it say auto renew? Usually it's month to month by real estate law unless it's specified in the contract by year but even then it's not auto renewable. No judge would re-enforce it. Go through your contract again xx

Normally when they renew it is only on a month to month term, unless you have signed a new contract?? Look at the old contract and see what it says about renewing?? Keep the deposit down on this new place for now hun............i am sure that this is not right?? Normally you only have to give landlords 1 months notice to move, after the first initial term is up.
You need to move asap xx

I never got a copy of my lease... Back in Jan when I moved in the copy machine was "broken" and she kept telling me Ill get you a copy asap and here I am a year later without a copy of my lease

Is she close by?? Could you go and get a copy from her?? I would go and get free legal advice asap hun xx

I never got a copy of my lease... Back in Jan when I moved in the copy machine was "broken" and she kept telling me Ill get you a copy asap and here I am a year later without a copy of my lease

get a copy asap WITH your signature on it and let us know. I'll ask OH.

Also Emma is right, you're supposed to give some kind of notice, one or two months usually and if you don't by a certain time then they might keep your deposit. BUT you had circumstances that are not covered in lease (mold) so do let us know what it says.

im not worried about my deposit as it was only 100.00 plus with the floodwater I dont expect to get it back... I just want to get healthy again and I want my baby healthy

im not worried about my deposit as it was only 100.00 plus with the floodwater I dont expect to get it back... I just want to get healthy again and I want my baby healthy

read the contract hun, find out where 700 is coming from. usually a deposit is a one month rent and should be specified in your contract.

just leave it they dont know where your moving to and probably not worth taking you to court for that much i had to do it had rising damp and mould told them they did nothing so just upped and left lost my deposit thats it couldnt be bothered waiting for them

just leave it they dont know where your moving to and probably not worth taking you to court for that much i had to do it had rising damp and mould told them they did nothing so just upped and left lost my deposit thats it couldnt be bothered waiting for them

The thing is that here nobody really wants to go to court, everybody settles and most of the time threatening with court action is enough. Knowing the details of the contract would help to know what to threaten them with :)

the 700.00 is from Jaunuary rent $415.00
lease termination fee $352.75
which totals to be 767.75

IDK im gonna cut the losses and move on...

also my landlords are attourneys
#
Auto Accidents
#
Bankruptcy Chapter 7, Chapter 13
#
Child Custody
#
Criminal Defense
#
Divorce
#
Drug Charges
#
DWI - Drunk Driving
#
Family Law
#
Personal Injury
#
Racial Discrimination
#
Sexual Harassment
#
Workers Compensation

thats his Practice Areas

I wouldn't give them this christmas present. If they have mold in the apartment building and your contract doesn't say anything about auto renew, just imagine the amount of crap they would have to go through regardless whether or not they are attorneys. Every judge would be on your side.

I would just leave hun, they can not take out the 700, but you would loose your 100 which is nothing really!! If you were not pregnant i would say fight them, but to be honest is is extra stress that you just don't need at the moment...........move out and have a happy new year in your new, warm damp free house hun xxx

The thing is that here nobody really wants to go to court, everybody settles and most of the time threatening with court action is enough. Knowing the details of the contract would help to know what to threaten them with :)

i meant they probably wouldnt bother taking trinity to court for $700 it would probably cost more but even if they did you would have a great counter claim with all the evidence you have x

Screw the landlord, your health is more important. If the money goes out automatically from your bank, cancel the order or change banks. xxx

Tell them by not fixing the fridge properly and painting over the mold rather than fixing it properly then they are in breach of their contract and as such will be sueing them for the lost food and breach unless they agree to let you walk away. It's a contract and you are legally covered. Don't let them bully you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->