bad reaction to 8 week jabs - how long to heal and does it happen again next time?

moomin momma

Reaction score
Lucy had her 8 week jabs yesterday and, after a few hours of being quite happy we had an hour of really horrible crying, raised temperature, red face etc. We gave her infant Calpol which seemed to help but she's been very grumpy all day, refusing to nap, not been eating much and crying more than usual. Also, where one of the jabs went in she has a raised red area.

Apparently this is all normal but what I'm wondering is how long does it take for them to get over it and is it likely to happen again when she has her 12 and 16 week jabs? Logically I've assumed that she's now making the antibodies against whatever's upset her so next time she shouldn't respond so badly, but if she is going to I'd like to be forewarned! How did everyone's LO's do?

My DS had a similar reaction when he had his jabs a few weeks ago and was fine again the next morning. I assumed that he would have no reaction as my daughter sailed through hers. Joseph is due to have his injections again next week, but this time I ill be giving him a spoon of calpol before we go to drs.

Some babies take the jabs worse than others. Stewart took his very badly too and was unsettled about 5 days after. His legs were so swollen and he screamed so much we rushed him to the doc at 2am. We found he was grumpy all day and worst from about 3pm every afternoon. We had to give a couple calpol doses every day and continually put cool wet washcloths on his little legs until the swelling went down. The worst days were the day/night of the jabs then day 3 for some reason...

Unfortunately he reacted badly to the next two lots of jabs too but this time we were prepared. I gave him Calpol exactly 4 hours after the jabs (you aren't supposed to give it any earlier because it can make the vac slightly less effective and also may mask a more serious reaction) and every day for 4/5 days after I gave a dose of calpol in the late aft. I found if we waited for him to get upset cos of the pain before giving calpol he was too hysterical and wouldn't swallow it and it didn't seem to work.
Also after 3 months you can give Calprufen as well as the calpol which is an anti-inflammatory and really helps with the pain in the legs.

...I just kept reminding myself, if he was so poorly from a tiny dose of the illnesses, I shudder to think how awful the full blown thing is! :hugs:

My LO had a bad reaction the the first lot of jabs as well. It was about 5 days of going off food, screaming and being unsettled. Poor thing. Her leg was also quite red. I was so worried about taking her for her next lot but shes been absolutly fine with the others.

Its horrible but maybe your LO will be ok with the next lot :hug:

My only suggestion is to be sure to tell the doc about the reaction at the next visit, before the shots are given. There are some vaccines that won't be given again if there is a reaction the first time.

Sorry your LO had a reaction to her shots. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->