baliffs rights?

jazmine18

Reaction score
my mum is in debt with a phone company, im sure it wont come to this, it hasnt before, but if the baliffs were to come to our house what right would they have to take stuff considering that i rent the house with my mum, and that anything of value, eg. laptop, computer and tv's, belong to me?..would they be able to take anything of mine and sophias or not? thanks. xx

I know that they can't take kids stuff... not sure about your stuff though. My OH's brother had baliffs round, they had to have a massive ding-dong with OH's dad as he'd lent the brother a car and the baliffs wanted to take it. You could try speaking to CAB?

Also, your mum could ring National Debtline and see if they can give her any advice - I used to work for an advisory body and we gave out their details with debt related matters. The number is 0808 808 4000 (https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/)

Hope it gets sorted soon. x

from what i remember when a family memeber went though it

you would have to prove that the item was urs and that she did not pay for it.
and they dont tend to just take your word for it you need proof of buying it ect like a bank statement saying you spent e.g £450 at store currys that could then be your laptop. warentys in your name ect ect

if you have proof that they belong to then they cant touch them but if you dont then because she lives in the house they can take them also once you have let them in once they can come back at any time and gain access weather your there or not if your not there when they call and any windows are left open the also have the right to gain access that way hope that helps hun hope you get it sorted soon x x

is there not anywhere you could store your stuff?

i no its wrong but someone took all the good stuff out there house and stored it at a family members and brought in a load of crap they got for free, so took out there good tv and put a portable in its place ect

thanks girls..i have proof of the laptop being mine, but not the tv's, and yeah i could take them to my dads house. what kinds of things do they take??
because i cant think of anything they would want, except tv's and laptop, computer is my dads but he let me bring it here, and we dont have a car.

thanks girls..i have proof of the laptop being mine, but not the tv's, and yeah i could take them to my dads house. what kinds of things do they take??
because i cant think of anything they would want, except tv's and laptop, computer is my dads but he let me bring it here, and we dont have a car.

they will take most things hun i watched a stop the balifs show about people who where in debt and they took handbags if they thought they was worth money, cds, dvds, hifi, sofa's, table and chairs ect

found this but it does not say they cannot take babys things :shrug:

What can a bailiff take?

Bailiffs can't take essentials such as clothing, bedding, cookers, fridges, most furniture and the 'tools of your trade' (for example, a computer you use for work).

They can take non-essential items such as your television. They can take possessions outside your home (for example, your car or garden equipment), or in unlocked sheds and garages.

oooh..hopefully it dont come to them having to come down here, and my mum can sort out a payment plan, im mostly just worried about sophias stuff, cot, pushchairs and toys ect. ;-s..im just not gunna answer the door to anyone and shut all windows and doors :)

it will not be baliffs for this kind of debt hun it will just be debt collectors who will have bought the debt from the phone company - they do not have the same rights as baliffs at all - they would have to take your mum to court and if its a relitavely small debt the chances are this will never happen, alhtough they may sell the debt on to another company and people will knock at the door but they have no rights

best thing to do would be for your mum to call them and arrange to make small monthly payments, explaining her financial situation to them, most will accept a little rather than nothing - if they dont accept go to the citezens advice who will help

hi i watched a show on tv called dont get screwed and they did this one show where a guy had a det which was registered at a home he rented out and the baliffs wanted to take stuff from this home but because they didnt belong to the person whos det it was by law they are not allowed x

it will not be baliffs for this kind of debt hun it will just be debt collectors who will have bought the debt from the phone company - they do not have the same rights as baliffs at all - they would have to take your mum to court and if its a relitavely small debt the chances are this will never happen, alhtough they may sell the debt on to another company and people will knock at the door but they have no rights

I second this - they have to take her to court before they can send bailiffs - but they do send debt collectors who impersonate baileffs sometimes - so be careful! Never ever let them in! Also, make sure she corresponds only in writing and keeps copies of everything sent. The people on the phone are sales people who will push her to pay more and more!

I second this - they have to take her to court before they can send bailiffs - but they do send debt collectors who impersonate baileffs sometimes - so be careful! Never ever let them in! Also, make sure she corresponds only in writing and keeps copies of everything sent. The people on the phone are sales people who will push her to pay more and more!

I third this, it goes to court first, your mum would then set up a payment plan which the judge would confirm, if your mum then didn't stick to this then she would be taken back to court and only then would bailiffs become involved.

Debt collectors try anything, your postman has more rights to enter your house than these idiots!

Try not to worry, unless your mum owes thousands and thousands the chances of it ever going to court are slim to none, it'll just keep getting sold on to various debt collectors.

If you need anymore advice PM me. They most definitely cannot take anything belonging to a child including toys unless its games consoles etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->