Bassinet vs Little Sleeper

jocelynmarie

Reaction score
Hey mommies, my first went straight into a crib, but since he's not quite ready to give his up and that was my plan for this one, I'm debating between a traditional bassinet or the little sling type little sleepers.

I kind of like the idea of the little sleeper thing because it will keep her at a slight angle which I've heard is better for their breathing, but just wondering what your experience has been!

I never used the side car but I used a bassinet and I liked it , you can move it around and bring it into other rooms which I don't know if you can do with the side cars

I like bassinet idea more because they just seem sturdier to me. I've heard horrible things about pets and those little sleepers. They are light and most of them rock and don't have any way to keep them from rocking which most bassinets do. Or at least, the ones I have seen. I've heard about both cats and dogs knocking those sleeper rockers over like they were nothing and also that some of the cheaper ones can put baby in a c position which is bad for breathing. If you do go with the sleeper, do your research and buy one that has good safety ratings.

DD also went to crib straight away but she had oxygen as feeding tubes that needed to be hooked up so it wasn't really an option!

I did a lot of research as while i love-love-love bassinets and Moses baskets, they're generally not found safe. Instead we are opting for the Fisher Price Deluxe Rock n Play, as baby is kept at an incline to help with any digestive issues that could arise, baby cannot roll over and this suffocated on bedding, and its very open. The openness is what I love. There's a Graco, I think, bassinet/sleeper quite like this one but its sides are mesh so even if baby did roll over (that one is a bit more spacious) baby would likely be ok! I just really so prefer the incline only because DD had esophogus issues and i'd rather just not fight that again lol

I always use a bassinet at first, and it sets right next to my bed. I love the bassinets!

Is there not issue with the rock n play causin a flat spots on the he's because baby can't change there heads position?

Is there not issue with the rock n play causin a flat spots on the he's because baby can't change there heads position?

I'm not sure, but my son had the issue from only sleeping on the right side of his head while in his crib. He would ever change positions and he still has a small flat spot on that side.

We used sleep positioner with my daughter as she always tended to lay her head to one side too and started to develop a flat spot, so with the sleep positioner we positioned her lay on the opposite side. She still falls asleep with her head to the side she favored as a baby lol.

DD also went to crib straight away but she had oxygen as feeding tubes that needed to be hooked up so it wasn't really an option!

I did a lot of research as while i love-love-love bassinets and Moses baskets, they're generally not found safe. Instead we are opting for the Fisher Price Deluxe Rock n Play, as baby is kept at an incline to help with any digestive issues that could arise, baby cannot roll over and this suffocated on bedding, and its very open. The openness is what I love. There's a Graco, I think, bassinet/sleeper quite like this one but its sides are mesh so even if baby did roll over (that one is a bit more spacious) baby would likely be ok! I just really so prefer the incline only because DD had esophogus issues and i'd rather just not fight that again lol

Why are bassinets found unsafe? Just curious, as I can't see anything in my bassinet that poses a risk to baby?

We had a bassinet but once I actually had the baby I realized two things: first, since the day she was born, she would roll on her side. This made me nervous. Secondly, she spits up a lot and I wanted something with an incline. We bought fisher price rock n play. She does move her head side to side and we don't put her in it during the day (to prevent flat spots) but flat spos can happen in a bassinet too if the baby doesn't move alot.

Flat spots can happen no matter where baby sleeps. Parents just have to be proactive about changing baby's position (head position). DD was bed ridden in the hospital for her first two months and never had flat spots because between the nurses and I, she never kept to one side of her head. Plus flat spots arise if parents over depend on contraptions to hold their babies.

Issues with bassinets vary depending on the type. Usually because they're so small unlike an open crib, the bassinets (with fabric lining on sides) pose a suffocation risk because babies aren't able to move themselves well and can roll over and get stuck with their mouth and nose covered by the side fabric and or the bottom fabric. This also happens more when babies are kept flat rather than elevated. I'm just very particular about the sleeping area for the baby to be open, no plushie pillows or blankets or thick fabric lining is needed.

If you look up the safety recommendations for bassinets (US) you will see bassinets in general are not recommended.

Anyone scared of flat spots too much can also purchase an extra item to add on to their baby's bedding to help with flat spots. I wouldn't bother :) Just make sure baby rotates their head every other way.

I started out with a bassinet, but baby didn't like it. Plus she had bad reflux and needed to be inclined a bit. I had been using my anglecare movement monitor in the bassinet and wanted to continue to use it, so the fp rock n play wasn't an option for me. However, I found that baby's R US had something called a taggies snuggle sleeper which is very very similar to the rock and play, but it doesn't rock, so I was able to use my movement monitor. She slept so much better in that than she ever did in the bassinet.

I started out with a bassinet, but baby didn't like it. Plus she had bad reflux and needed to be inclined a bit. I had been using my anglecare movement monitor in the bassinet and wanted to continue to use it, so the fp rock n play wasn't an option for me. However, I found that baby's R US had something called a taggies snuggle sleeper which is very very similar to the rock and play, but it doesn't rock, so I was able to use my movement monitor. She slept so much better in that than she ever did in the bassinet.

Our rock n play is incline only. Maybe you're thinking of the other Fisher Price bassinet? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->