Baths

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Shifter, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Shifter

Shifter Guest

OK, so the first two times we tried to give Jack a proper bath he just screamed the place down. So we decided to just wash him with cotton wool for a while to get him used to being wet without being in a bath of water. We do this in front of the fire to keep him warm, we talk soothingly to him, explain what we are doing etc. But he still screams and "bath" time is a traumatic experience for all three of us.

What can we try to get him used to being wet and get him into his baby bath?

2. LuluBee

LuluBee Mummy to Alex

We just kept going with it honey, gradually Alex got used to it and stopped crying. in the meantime we just accepted that he would scream during bath time and while we did our best to soothe him we just had to block the crying out and get it over with as painlessly and quickly as possible - it did get better over time though i promise!

3. Deb_baby

Deb_baby Megan Mummy & NTNP

Stuarts parents bought us a tummytub and megan loves it she cries when she has to come out of it, it's the same for Stuart sisters 4 month old... But it's not cheap it's like 45.00 but they sit in it and the water comes up to their shoulders it's to help them feel like their in the womb a bit cos of the shape of it x

4. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

He's still little and it will take some time. We did find with Hannah that she preferred to be fed before her baths when she was younger, for some reason it helped keep her calm during bath time

5. lillysmum

lillysmum Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys

just keep doing what you are doing, some babies love bathtime some hate it and it can make it an upsetting experience for everyone involved. The only thing you can do is keep doing what you are doing.

Lilly loved baths from day one, lucas hates baths with a passion.

6. Michy

Michy Mum and Preggo

Have you tried bathing with him? Till Alfie was around 8 weeks old he had all his baths with me I think it helped him feel secure in the water and now he really loves bath time.

7. Shifter

Shifter Guest

I haven't fancied a bath since leaving hospital as until the last 24 hours or so I was too sore post c-section to contemplate getting in and out of the bath, so I've been showering. I've also had to have my wound re-dressed because of an infection and was advised that the dressing wouldn't survive baths. But in hospital we did have a wonderful bath together to help get BF going with the skin to skin and water. Jack didn't mind that at all, he lay on my tummy/chest perfectly content! So I think now that I'm more mobile and once this dressing comes off we'll give co-bathing a go. Thanks for the suggestion Michy :D

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I guess it just takes some babies a while to get used to it.

8. louise1302

louise1302 mum to FIVE boys :)

archie was just like this, then one day i did his bath really deep so it came up over his belly...it was like someone switched a switch and now he loves his bath..if i do it shallow he screams the house down...i think they feel safer the more immersed they are. also archie doesnt cry in the 'big bath' with me , again i think because it is deep, he also likes his a tad warmer than normal
    you could try a tummy tub you can pick the up for £20 in mothercare babies r us and off ebay
    hth

9. Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

I don't have any different advice hun but hope he comes to like his baths soon x

10. embojet

embojet Molly and Ethan's Mummy

In hospital, Molly and all the other prems got a 'swaddle bath'. They all loved it, as they feel secure. If you wrap him in a muslin, and unwrap one limb at a time to wash him, he should be happier. Molly still has some baths like this if she cries. Definately worth a try as it works every time for her!

11. Thats what I was going to say. Meadow loves bath time on her own after bathing with me a few times.

12. Michy

Michy Mum and Preggo

I'm a C section mummy too so I totally understand. I would have the water very shallow so it just came below my scar till around 4 weeks PP. However I didn't have an infection, but did have 4 pools of hard blood and so was told to bath often to reduce swelling.

I was lucky tho that I had my DH home with me for the first 7 weeks so we would lay alfie on his mat and DH would help me in the bath and then he would take alfie out wrap him up in a towel and then help me out the bath!

The easiest way out of the bath after a section is to roll onto your front and then push up on hands and knees so you don't have to use your tummy muscles too much, still painfull but not as bad.

:hug:

13. debralouise

debralouise Mummy to Grace and Jack x

I sympathise hun, really do coz we just want them to enjoy it!

I found that lying Grace on her tummy/ forwards in the bath helped her to feel more secure and even now at 8.5 months she still doesn't like lying on her back in the bath but far prefers sitting or lying forwards

Hope that helps chick xx

14. lauzliddle

lauzliddle Alfie and mollys mummy

alfie likes his baths when he is all settled after a feed,wind ect. he also likes it a little bit warmer than should be. Hope this helps hun and hope bath times get a little bit better. :hug:

15. ColtonsMom

ColtonsMom Well-Known Member

ditto. Colton used to scream bloody murder when he was a newborn.. but we just persisted! By the time he was 4-5 months he cried when you tried to get him OUT! lol.. He loves it now still!
    I think it really took just until he learned to kick his feet to splash.. then its been love ever since! :lol:

16. lolly101

lolly101 Well-Known Member

Holly hun:hugs:

I find I make Beckys bath quite deep and like the others have said I make it after a feed...if she is hungry she doesn't like it so much...
    You are doing everything right by talking to him and not pushing him, good luck hun hope it gets better soon

17. Jemima

Jemima Mother of One

18. aidensxmomma

aidensxmomma 4 on Earth, Many in Heaven

Aiden hated baths when he was a newborn. Once we started giving him baths in the sink without his little baby bath, he liked it better. He likes his water warmer than what is advised and likes it pretty deep. He also likes having baths with me or his daddy or his grandma now. After a couple weeks he stopped screaming and now he absolutely loves taking baths. It will probably just take some time. Good luck.:hugs:

19. rach321

rach321 Well-Known Member

Our LO was exactly the same - now he loves his bath! Putting him in with you is a good idea - just make sure you have a spare pair of hands ready when you both have to get out - that's the tricky part! We also made the bath quite deep so most of his body was covered and a bit warmer than you're supposed to and he seemed to like it much more. I just don't think they like taking all their clothes offwhen they are very tiny and getting cold!!

20. Shifter

Shifter Guest

Thanks everyone. Last night we tried wrapping him in a wet, warm towel and hubby cuddled him to his bare chest and wiped him down before wrapping him in a warm, dry towel and that seemed to go down well! Will definitely try out more of the suggestions above guys, thank you so much :D