BBT charting not that useful??

X

xxBubsxx

Hi ladies just wanted your take on something ...
I (being a pretty big geek :coffee:) decided to do a bit of reading from scientific journals about effectiveness of different types of ovulation prediction.

The study I read today looked at how effective different methods were at predicting ovulation. They compared OPKs, BBT charting and saliva testing with actual ovulation determined by an ultrasound scan.
Apparently BBT charts were only accurate 34% of the time! OPKs on the otherhand matched ultrasound scan 100% of the time.

What do you think? Makes me reckon temping isn't worth the hassle. I guess for people who can't use OPKs cause of PCOS or something it's useful but for the rest of us?? Just when I was getting the hang of it too!

Anyway thought I'd share what I'd found. Would be really interested to hear if anyone had read anything about this too!

Hi. I agree that temping has its limitations, particularly when trying to predict ovulation. It is however useful at confirming that ovulation has in fact occured and when. I am also finding it useful to monitor my progesterone levels now that I've recently got my BFP, and it can of course be used to indicate pregnancy - 18 days of riased temps and you're likely to be expecting.

I've used it for 5 months now and it's quick and easy. Being a bit of a geek myself, I also find it really interesting :)

Good luck!! xx

I havn't read that, but what were the limitations on the study?
Im assuming that temping had such a low success rate because ppl dont do it correctly and yet those ppl were probably still in the sample

(sorry to be all scientific, i had to write tons of research papers in college :coffee:)

Of course the thing i find odd, is that evertime i have had a Positive OPK, temping has proven my Ov date. So if OPKs have a 100% success rate, im not really sure why temping is only 34% :shrug: Im leaning towards the fact that the sample of those temping didn't always do it 100% correctly (not taking at the same time everyday, drinking, not getting a full 3 hour block of sleep, etc). in a way its sort of like birth control pills. There is only a 99.9% chance of getting pregnant while on them, but we know this happens at a much higher rate because people skip doses or take them incorrectly.

Hi fellow geeks Lou B and Guppy !!
Yeah the study only included women who temped at same time everyday and had complete charts (but one limitation might of been they stipulated only 2 hours sleep not the 3 I've often heard is needed on here). They didn't mention anything about drinking though which obviously can cause temp changes.

The thing I found really interesting was that it looked at the whole chart of temping - so wasn't just a case of looking at what predicted ovulation before it happened but rather what was a sign of ovulation occurring. Not sure I'm explaining that well sorry! What I mean is they looked for the temp spike and how it corresponded to actual ovulation and was only accurate 34% of the time.

The reason I was interested in doing a bit of research is I got a positive clearblue digital test on Sun eve but still waiting for my temp rise and wanted to find out what was more accurate. This happened to either of you at all??

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick! Only ever temp'd. Recently bought a CB monitor but was lucky enough not to need it. I hope you get your BFP soon luv xx

Thanks Lou! Just noticed your status - congratulations on your pregnancy! Guess temping can't be total rubbish if that's what you used lol!

I see your point...but i guess what i am concluding now is that temping is more for verifying that Ovulation has occurred than predicting ovulation. Sometimes a female can look at past cycle patterns to guess temping but really the body will do with it what it wants. Therefore, if the study was looking to see how accurate temping was to predict Ovulation it make sense that its success rate was only 34%. I guess temping is more of a hindsight thing than a prediction thing, if that makes sense.

Actually it surprises me that it says its only 34% accurate.:wacko: While its not a good method to predict ovulation, its pretty spot on confirming it. Of course there is always going to be exception to the rules and other factors like incorrect temping, but on a whole it works exceptionally well. Even my pre O pattern to a certain degree matches every cycle. Ive managed to get pregnant twice in four cycles using opks and bbt so I would have to conclude using both together is very effective!

Wow wannab a 50% success rate is a pretty convincing method!
Have your OPK positive always corresponded with temp spike? This is my first month trying OPKs on top of temping and not sure what to expect in terms of timing.

Bubs, the first month of charting & using OPKs I got my :bfp:
I did MC, therefore, i did chart during the October cycle (but that was just to make sure i was Ov). We werent TTC at that point. However, we are TTC again this cycle, so if we get a :bfp: this cycle than I had a 100% accuracy rate with temping and OPKs.
The OPKs always matched up with when Ov. occurred.

(though i am pretty sure that study was looking to see how accurate temping is to PREDICT ovulation...i dont think temping is that great at predicting it, granted that it can be if you have really normal cycles, but i think its more of a HINDSIGHT thing)

Sorry to hear about your mc Guppy must've been tough.

Thanks for that info. I also just sneaked a wee peak at ur charts! I wonder why I've not had my temp spike yet, fingers crossed I can confirm I've ov'd with tomorrow's temp ...

Thanks!
You're such a Doll :friends:

Do you have a link to your chart? wouldn't mind looking at it myself :thumbup:
GL :dust:

Will do my best to post a link here but haven't really worked that out yet! :dohh:
Here's hoping you keep your 100% success rate!

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/29137a
If that worked I'm away to reward myself with a mince pie!

Yes my +opks and O dates all matched up perfectly. Seems Im having no trouble getting pregnant, its making them stick now thats proving a challenge! The first cycle I tried didnt even really count as I only stop bc half way through, it was just a practice run. So techincally Im 2 for 3, the whole package of opks and bbt seems to work well for me, now Ive just got to get the staying pregnant bit to work!:haha:

I think temping might not be that useful for predicting ovulation as it only confirms ovulation after it has happened. I still find it extremely useful to pinpoint ovulation and see what my body is up to.

Seems Im having no trouble getting pregnant, its making them stick now thats proving a challenge!... now Ive just got to get the staying pregnant bit to work!:haha:

I have recently been thinking the same thing. I think im a little Fertile Mertle but i just have a problem getting it to stick. Hope this is it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->