• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

BCG Vaccine scar

were not in a city but lo is mixed raced and they did it the same day he was born hes just got a red dit now x

We were a little concerned when the blister appeared, but we too were relieved reading post. I guess it would go away with time ...

They stopped giving it to teenagers in 2006, reason being the vaccine is far more effective against a strain of TB that affects under 15s. I refused the bcg for all my little ones, my husband was born abroad but TB isn't commonplace on his country of origin and we go there or anywhere abroad, less than most people.

https://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_d.../@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_120267.pdf explains a lot, I had no idea they gave this to babies at all

They offered it to LO but i refused it. I am still in the same area but I didn't have mine until I was 13 it got really infected and I have a massive scar! Its because of living in a city area that is multicultural i think. They pressured me and said if i didn't take it I'd have to pay for it if i want it done in the future. I think this is also what put me off, pressuring me into jabbing my 5 week old baby that caused so much aggro with me. TBH i'd rather pay for it at a later date and feel happy with my decision.

I had the same, this time my health visitor made an appointment for it without my say so. She then said if I wanted to cancel it I'd have to phone the immunization nurse at the clinic and explain why. She was also really patronising about how I should make another appointment before that so the immunization nurse can tell me all about the importance of the bcg and other vaccines.vaccines are not a legal requirement in this country but the government act like they are, their patronising and pushy approach probably pushes the vaccination rates down further.

I really hate this vaccine and I hope my LO doesn't have it. I never had it as a child, but I am from America. I think it's horrible how it scars their poor little arms. Im not sure if it's really necessary is it?

babies get BCG?! i got mine when i was 13 in school. and they have stopped them in high school now? :wacko:

Yeh they've stopped doing them now in schools. Babies with heritage from countries still rife with the disease, or that live in certain areas of the UK with a lot of immigrants from said countries i.e. London are offered the vaccine x

EDIT: Mum2bjodi - babies have them at 1 day old in hospital so if your LO hasn't been offered it yet I doubt they will now x

For those of you saying the BCG give terrible scars; all vaccines have the capability of doing that, not just BCGs. And I had a BCG and it has left no mark whatsoever. It doesn't alwyas cause scarring.

Here they offer the BCG in hospital, and my LO received it when she was 3 days old. I don't regret giving it to her at all. There are a few cases of TB here, but I read an article a couple of years back, saying that there had been cases of TB in the UK too, so I don't knwo why people are claiming the UK is TB-free :shrug:

IF YOUR LO HAS A BLISTER AND/OR PUS, PLEASE READ HERE:

My LO had a bad looking scar for months, and it only really healed when she was about 6 months old. It was continuously filling with pus, bursting, scabbing; over and over again. I went to see the HV and she said it was normal, I went to the doctor and he said it was normal, and finally we went to A&E at the hospital, and they also said it was normal. Nobody tells you about it, but for vaccine sites, pus isn't a bad sign, as it would be with another type of wound. In vaccine sites, the pus is sterile, and therefore no problem for the baby. If it bursts you just have to keep it clean and allow air to it for it to be able to dry and scab up. I hope it helps you :flower:

Lolly in some areas they 'offer' it between 6 weeks and 3 months, like here but bottom line is you can refuse any vaccine. To the previous poster I'm aware that TB still occurs in the UK, it's probable that we have higher TB rates than some of these foreign countries that are being blamed for bringing the risk of TB back to the UK via immigration. Also with regard to the scar site from the BCG most of the time it's fine, however in some cases an abscess can form and this can be pretty serious, one little boy I know it ended up going right down to the bone and his mum has been told he will never have full movement and feeling in that arm again.

I never said vaccine was mandatory or couldn't be refused :wacko: Doubtful UK have higher rates as housing & sanitation over the last 80years have improved drastically.

Anyhow... quote from Patient UK (https://www.patient.co.uk/health/BCG-Immunisation.htm)

Who should be immunised against TB?
The immunisation programme to counter TB has changed over the past few decades as the number of people with TB has reduced in many parts of the UK. Immunisation with BCG vaccine is now only given to those people, usually children, who are at a high risk of catching TB. This has changed from 2005. Before 2005 all children were routinely immunised with the BCG vaccine at the age of 13 years.

In the UK, immunisation against TB with the BCG vaccine is offered to:.

•Babies living in areas of the UK where there is a high rate of TB. That is, areas where the incidence of TB is 40 cases per 100,000 people per year, or greater.
•Babies (and children who have not previously been immunised) whose parents or grandparents have lived in a country where the incidence of TB is 40 cases per 100,000 people per year or greater.
•The following groups of people who have not previously been immunised:
◦Children (under 16 years) who have come to live in the UK from countries where TB is common (at least 40 cases per 100,000 people per year) and have not been immunised before.
◦Adults under 35 years who have come to live in UK from countries where there is a high rate of TB - over 500 cases per 100,000 people per year.
◦People at risk due to their job. For example, health workers, prison staff, etc.
◦Close contacts of people with active TB who have never received the BCG vaccine.
Rates of TB are now very low in many parts of the UK and children living in these areas have a very low risk of infection. However, in other areas, rates of TB are increasing. This is why the BCG vaccine is now mainly targeted at babies living in areas where there is an increasing rate of TB cases. Your doctor or midwife will be able to tell you if you live in an area with a high rate of TB.

Children who would previously have been offered immunisation with BCG vaccine through the schools' programme are now screened for risk factors for TB, tested, and immunised as appropriate.

Lolly you were saying its offered 1 day after birth in hospital, just saying it varies from area to area. As the above says they are offering the jab to those living in areas of the UK with the same rates as other countries, I've seen people with any parent born abroad being pushed to have this, regardless of wether that particular country has higher levels of tb than here and regardless of wether that family even returns to the country of origin, many do not.

Well the area I live in is highly populated with immigrants from said countries & that is why the vaccine is offered here, straight after LO's are born

Well the area I live in is highly populated with immigrants from said countries & that is why the vaccine is offered here, straight after LO's are born
I@m not arguing, but I think it's weird that they may offer the jab in London because there are immigrants there, but perhaps they ay not in Worcester, for example, because there are harldy any immigrants there. Do they think someone in Worcester will never go to London? Surely they should offer the jab at the same time throughout the entire country? :wacko:

I know, that was what I also thought!! God knows their train of thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"