Bed wetting

broodymrs

Mummy to my boys
Reaction score
Hi all. After some advice on my almost 5 year old. He’s just finished nursery, has started the school holiday club and is starting school in September. So it’s a time of big change which I suspect is behind the latest phase - bed wetting.

He’s been potty trained since 2.5, dry at night for around a year I’d say. So it did take a while until he cracked night times. Anyway every night this last week he’s wet the bed. I think he’s doing it in his sleep and genuinely can’t help it. Any tips to get through this? Considering going back to night time pull ups as my washing machine can’t keep up!!

Poor little guy, my DS and DD were heavy sleepers and had the same issue. The best I can offer is to limit his fluid intake and make sure he isn't drinking anything at least 2 hours before bed time and to go potty before bed. I also put a waterproof sheet under them to help out with the laundry issues. I hope this helps and best of luck!

I posted a few months ago about this as my almost 5 year old started doing it. I wouldn't recommend the pull ups as it will just mean he can go if he wants to. Really perseverance was the key for us and it stopped as quickly as it started.

I bought puppy training pads (from the pound shop, can also buy continence pads from pharmacy but are more expensive, smaller and less in the pack but do the same job) and put them under a towel. She didn't know they were there, just the towel. I didn't bother putting a fitted sheet on the bed, just the towel to stop the pad sticking to her skin and was easier to wash. I also limited fluid before bed and made sure she went to the toilet before going to sleep.

Once it stopped that was it, haven't had a wet bed since x

I agree with the others. I have a 4 year old and while I’ve only had one or two accidents at night, I have been very conscious about it. I make certain to stop liquids and every high water fruit like melons at least two hours before bed. I also make certain bladders are emptied right before getting into bed. I too, just in case, have a pad down under the sheet. Sorry if it’s redundant but I hope it helps. Best of luck!

Thank you. I’ve been limiting fluid intake. Last night was dry so fx it continues!

We've struggled with occasional bedwetting and we still have the odd accident with my son who is 8.5 I found that avoiding and sort of squash (particularly blackcurrant) helps, as does avoiding apple juice. He now drinks mainly milk and water and that has improved things. If it's been a hot day and I know he's drunk a lot I get him up to go for a wee before I go to bed, which also helps. Waterproof sheets are a must too. I'd stay away from pull-ups, it's a backwards step. Occasional bed wets are entirely normal up until the age of about 10 so don't worry about it. I'm sure you won't, but don't make a thing of it to your little one. I just send mine for a shower and strip the bed, and just talk about it like it's a totally normal thing with no judgement or signs that I'm stressed about it.

Oh, I also notice that it gets worse when he has a growth spurt. Almost like his bladder doesn't keep up with the rest of him!

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->