bedtime routine

momtoparker

Reaction score
Hi. I am wondering at what age should i start with a routine? My son is 4 weeks old now and right now his naps are never consistant, i suppose thats becuase i have a four year old son that has a big yap! Also he is a bit fussy/colicy so i know its going to be very difficult. Already he doesnt sleep in a crib or bassinet. He sleeps with me at night and sleeps on the couch for nap times. I have tried several attempts at putting him to sleep in a safer place but he wakes within 10 minutes and he is also afussy sleeper it seems like he is always stiring and making noises. Also i have had several nights putting him in his crib only to have him wake up 10 minutes later crying and then it takes me forever to get him back to sleep which of course makes me cranky when all i want is sleep. Any advice? thanks.

I started a bedtime routine at 2 weeks (once her belly button had healed) and she was sleeping thru the night, 12 hours a night by 9 weeks. I truly believe its because I started early and she got to know the difference between day and night.

Hi. I am wondering at what age should i start with a routine? My son is 4 weeks old now and right now his naps are never consistant, i suppose thats becuase i have a four year old son that has a big yap! Also he is a bit fussy/colicy so i know its going to be very difficult. Already he doesnt sleep in a crib or bassinet. He sleeps with me at night and sleeps on the couch for nap times. I have tried several attempts at putting him to sleep in a safer place but he wakes within 10 minutes and he is also afussy sleeper it seems like he is always stiring and making noises. Also i have had several nights putting him in his crib only to have him wake up 10 minutes later crying and then it takes me forever to get him back to sleep which of course makes me cranky when all i want is sleep. Any advice? thanks.

I started a bedtime routine at 4 weeks but to be honest sometimes I feel like I was just making work for myself. His 'bedtime' is supposed to be about 8 p.m. (depending on when he gets tired) but regardless he seems to always wake up at 9 p.m. and is fussy until about 11 or 12, either crying with wind or demanding constant feeding or just generally unsettled. I try to keep him upstairs and keep the stimulation low (because he's supposedly gone to bed) but it's really difficult and I dread the night times at the moment. It doesn't help that he is going through a growth spurt I think at the moment and wanting to feed all the time, so maybe I am just feeling overly negative about it due to exhaustion. I'm going to keep on with the routine and hope that it finally begins to click with him. Initially I had been thinking I would start it after Christmas when he will be two months, but he was becoming very unsettled in the evenings and I thought the routine might help. I suppose maybe it did help a little bit. From 11 or 12 when he does finally settle, he is OK then and just wakes for his feeds and goes straight back to sleep.

With regard to sleeping on you, I can totally relate to this too. Sometimes Thomas will sleep in his basket but often I am just too tired and take the easier option of allowing him to sleep with me, particularly at night if he has been very unsettled as this is the only way I can be sure that I get a decent sleep. Before I had him I was sure that I would never have him in the bed with me but in the end you have to do what works.

Sleeping is definitely the most difficult thing for my little boy. I really do think that it depends on the child, and regardless of what you do, some children will sleep well from very early on and some will not. But when I think about it, probably if sleep is an issue it is probably even more important to try to have a routine and stick to it, but it's hard work when it doesn't seem to be clicking with the baby!!

Good luck with it, let us know what you decide to do.

i started a routine with alfie when he was 4-5 weeks at first we give him a bath then he went upstairs at about 10 pm with a feed (i BF) he sometimes woke at 12-1am for a feed and wake up at 8am, he then dropped the midnight feed and started to go to bed earlier each night by 8-9 weeks he was sleeping 12 hours solid from 8-8am.

It was hard at first as he sometimes he woke up every 10 min but i would just keep on at it, it wore me out but it was the best thing i could do. he now sleeps 6pm until 8:45am.

our routine is:
Bath around 5pm
sleepsuit on and cuddles until 6ish then a bottle and up to bed
your times will have to be different as your LO is still only little his naps through the day were never the same and we used to make as little sound as possible and never turn the lights on bright during the night so he would know the difference to day and night also i would not put him in his cot to sleep during the day he always slept in his bouncing chair or pram.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"