Been to a farm and now worried!!!

slrayner

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I work for a FE College and part of my jobs means I visit students at all the sites. One of the sites is a farm. I had my 12 week scan on Friday and everything fine and then I went back to work and visited a student at the farm.

I have been told by work today that I am not allowed to go to the farm anymore due to the risk of Toxoplasmosis. I am now really worried that I caught something when I went on Friday.

I literally walked out of my car and down a path until I reached the classroom and back but worried I may have caught something :-s
Anyone else visited a farm when pregnant?

I not 100% sure, But i think it something to do with lambing.. As long as you didnt come in contact with the lambing sheep i think your be ok, If your worried give your midwife a quick call... :hug:

i think its all about hygiene as long as you wash your hand thorughly then ur ok,,, just phone mw if your worried she will put ur mind at rest.

My husband works on a goat farm and I go there all the time... I think everything should be fine. I have had 3 kids before this one and have never heard anyone tell me I cant go to a farm before. Never even read anything about it until coming to this site. If you are overly concerned call your dr and express your concerns!

As long as you wash your hands you should be fine! It's recommended to wear gloves too, but you don't catch toxoplasmosis through the air or anything! :)

i took my lo to the farm on sat, didn't handle the animals at all, so not at all worried. i am a big fan of the anti bac gels anyway.

When pregnant with my two baby brothers my mother pretty much single handedly ran her farm did everything scrubbed drity buckets and troughs cleaned stalls shoved shavings put out feed and this was up until the day she delivered and her doctor never told her not to do just not to over do it

as long as you don't rub your face on a sheep or anything you'll be fine :D do wash hands though xx

as long as you don't rub your face on a sheep or anything you'll be fine :D do wash hands though xx

:haha::haha::haha: rub your face in a sheep!!!!! hehehe MINT SAUCE!!! usually gets em running away! :-D :dohh: lol is that just me!?

as long as u didnt go give some farm animals invitro or like said before rub ur face on them the chances of catching air born illnesses from a farm are pretty slim unless ur in a milk house:) i bet u will be jst fine! if your too worried ccall ur dr

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't really go near any animals and went to the toilets lots for a wee and washed my hands each time so hopefully I'll be fine!

I was more worried because I was researching it and it says there is no symptoms in a lot of people so I could have technically caught it and not know!

I found this on the NHS site and thought it might help and explain it a little bit. I was only reading up about this yesterday as we were planning on going to a petting farm on fri but mem something from my last pregnancy about it and are going to put it off till the summer now, hears the link that explains it all

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/934.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=131

Remember plenty of female farm workers, vets and farmers wives work on farms through out their pregnancies including at lambing time and they all have perfectly healthy babies! Avoid lambing ewes and everything else is fine. Can't believe they are naive enough to stop you visiting your student! (I am a vet and work with sheep and cats so I know the risks)

Hope you can relax and enjoy your scan now!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->