Been ttc for 1 year. no success. OBGYN appointment december 9th. what can I expect?

branham22

Reaction score
I sought medical help for the first time. I go back on November 25th so she can do some tests. Then she is going to refer me to an OBGYN.

I made an appointment with the OBGYN for december 9th. I was wondering what he will do for us? And what all should I expect? I think we are meeting with his nurse for the first visit. I've heard a lot of doctors will give women clomid. Has this ever worked for anyone? And if so, when did you start it?

I am scared about going. I am 20 and my husband is 21. We have been ttc for 1 year now and have never had a BFP. :(

Hey, I dont really know what you should expect.. I think my first appointment went a little differently than most since I went only after four months.

What I can tell you, is that I am 20 also, and I am on clomid because I never ovulated on my own after I stopped birth control. Clomid isnt going to make you get pregnant, it will just make you ovulate which it did beautifully for me. My progesterone results are great now so just waiting for that determine sperm to get in there.

My first clomid cycle was a bfn. My second, looks like it is going to be the same because I am 10dpo and got a bfn this morning.

Sorry I dont really have any advice. I guess what I tell people the most when they are afraid of the doctor is that you are going for answers, and guess what you will get? ANSWERS! My OBGYN assured me that he is going to get me pregnant. Well, not HIM, lol, but you know what I mean. I LOVE getting answers because it is one step closer to that bfp.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I can try to answer them to the best of my ability. Just try not to freak out, everything will be ok. xx

Thanks tryinfor1!
As silly as this may sound, I don't know what clomid does. Just make you ovulate? I was on the depo and my cycles are nuts! My depo shot wore off november of LAST year! I have only had 3 periods since. One in may that lasted all month. And a normal one in july and august. I have had no period since august :( I've done opks and all negative. I guess I'm not ovulating.

But it does make me feel better that your doc put you on clomid after only 4 months. I hope they help me get preg! And oh yes, I love answers!! Haha

Thanks tryinfor1!
As silly as this may sound, I don't know what clomid does. Just make you ovulate? I was on the depo and my cycles are nuts! My depo shot wore off november of LAST year! I have only had 3 periods since. One in may that lasted all month. And a normal one in july and august. I have had no period since august :( I've done opks and all negative. I guess I'm not ovulating.

But it does make me feel better that your doc put you on clomid after only 4 months. I hope they help me get preg! And oh yes, I love answers!! Haha

I was on depo too! from age 15-18. OMG. It was the worst three years of my entire life! I bled the entire time I was on it, with maybe a day or a week where I wouldnt bleed. I just kept telling myself that eventually my periods would subside, but they never did! ALWAYS there. Then I went on bcp for a year and eventually settled on the nuvaring for a year.That is what I came off of when we started ttc.

I got several positive OPKs after stopping birth control. And after about the 7th time I had bloodwork, and it confirmed no ovulation, I called my OBGYN bawling and they agreed to see me. I told him what was up, and he was like "Provera, clomid, blah blah."

Yes, clomid just makes you ovulate. If you are not ovulating, like I wasnt, then I dont see why he wouldnt prescribe it to you especially because you have been trying for a year. My first cycle on it, my progesterone was 17.2 at 7dpo, and this cycle was 23 at 3dpo! AWESOME numbers!!

Depo really messes women up. I have seen on here that some women, it takes up to two years to get pregnant, not that I am trying to scare you. I dont think they went to their DRs, and just tried naturally. I heard of another girl who had 5 MC and she is pretty sure it was because of the depo. Once again, not trying to scare you. That is pretty rare, I believe.

I wish they would have told us that this shit is like poison being injected into our bodies! GAH!

At my appointment, we went over my medical history, talked about how that can affect fertility. I didn't have a period for over a year. (But recently started getting it again? lol. bodies are weird.)

I had a pelvic exam, pap smear, and transvaginal ultrasound to check my uterus and ovaries. Diagnosed with PCOS, and was told I was probably not ovulating on my own.

I had no blood work that day, but was prescribed with a natural form of progesterone. (Prometrium) She didn't tell me what it was for, so I didn't fill the rx. Not going to take something if I don't know why I'm taking it! lol.

I was scheduled for a glucose test but decided not to take it right now. Going to wait a few months and try a few things on my own before we go to medicine for help. (partially because our insurance won't cover the fertility treatment. Not many do if you're in the US.)

My advice would be to ask as many questions as you have. If you don't feel like the doctor is answering your questions or doesn't seem concerned about the situation, find another doctor. There's nothing wrong with going to a few to find one that fits you best. Good luck!

Progesterone is taken to induce a period. If you hadnt had a period, that is why she gave you progesterone. It is really weird she didnt tell you that though.

^ I was having a period though. I had 2 unmedicated periods before my appointment, 33 days apart. Which is why I was a little confused when she said she wanted to induce a period. (But she didn't say that the progesterone was for that.)

HMM... no idea why she would give it to you then. The only other reason progesterone is taken is for a lpd or spotting during your lp. :shrug: whatever, it doesnt matter cause you didnt take it. Lol

Your doctor may want to run some tests before prescribing Clomid, mine did. She had me get bloodwork done, had hubby get an SA, and told me to start temping/charting. She also had me get an HSG (hysterosalpingogram) to make sure my tubes were open, to make sure that Clomid wouldn't be a waste of time. Turns out I have a polyp and need surgery, but at least my tubes are open! Haha. Sounds like the course of action depends on the doctor and what your own issues are. Good luck!

You guys are awesome! It sucks I have to waoit 3 weeks until my appointment! Argggh! I feel like I should be doing something in the mean time!

And yes depo is terrible! I will never take it again. I hope by next christmas I have my little miracle! :(

Well next friday I go to my family doctor for blood work and stuff. So hopefully all that will be taken care of! I also have been charting, temping, and checking my cm since march
By the way, does Provera bring on your periods? Sorry ladies! I'm new to this stuff! :D

Yup Provera is given to bring on a period if you haven't gotten it in a while. I took it last month to end a 123 day cycle.

I also took it to end a 120+ day cycle. Was awful!!

I havent temped or had any tests besides a some bloodwork done. My DR said he was trying to jump start my cycle and that is why he was giving me clomid. DH didnt even have to get a SA. my OB asked me if DH had taken steroids in highschool. When I said no, he didnt seem concerned about it. Lol

I also took it to end a 120+ day cycle. Was awful!!

I havent temped or had any tests besides a some bloodwork done. My DR said he was trying to jump start my cycle and that is why he was giving me clomid. DH didnt even have to get a SA. my OB asked me if DH had taken steroids in highschool. When I said no, he didnt seem concerned about it. Lol

Hahaha, how random. Like that's the only reason a guy's SA would be a little off. If nothing happens for you in a few months I would recommend having your hubby get one, I have a few fertility books and they talk about how infertility on the part of the guy is more common than people think. My hubby's SA was a little low but we aren't worrying about it (yet), clearly the bigger issue right now is me! Hehe.

I personally think something is wrong with DH sperm..

He wont get one though as, to him, we are ntnp :blush:

He thinks since we are so young, it wont be an issue and wont get one till after I graduate college in a year and a half. :cry:

Hahahah, I didn't know he think you're NTNP! Omg that's so funny. :rofl:

Well maybe try telling him it's routine and most guys do it, and that way it's one less thing to worry about it so you can start TTC as soon as you're ready. :shrug:

Well next friday I go to my family doctor to get some tests done. Then she was gonna fax it over to my OBGYN. So hopefully that will be all done!

I also have been charting, temping, and checking my cm since March. So I don't know...

Another dumb question, but does Provera jump start your periods? If so, will they put me on that and clomid at the same time? Provera to regulate my period amd clomid to make me ovulate? How will they know when I need to take the clomid? So confused...

Sorry ladies! I'm new to this! Haha :D

Most doctors will do Provera, let you get your period, then give you Clomid for 5 days (like days 2-6 of your cycle, or 5-9). That was the plan for me, but like I said I need surgery, so I wasn't given Clomid. Turns out though, I think I ovulated on my own! :happydance: So, it's possible!! Are your cycles long/irregular?? Are your charts showing that you ovulate?? Do you have the links to your charts? Sorry, so many questions!! :haha:

Unfortunitly no, I don't have any links! I wish I did! But my cycles are all over the place! I was on the Depo-Provera shot for 1 year (august 2009-august 2010). They last for 3 months so I have been off of it since November 2010. Here are my cycles since coming off depo:
-did not have a period November 2010-April 2011. In May I started my period on the 2nd or 3rd and it lasted me ALL month.
-in june I had no period
-and july and august I started my period at the end of both of those months.

Its now November 2011 and I haven't had a period since august. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->