Being refused a c section?

Smile181c

Mummy to 3!
Reaction score
I had an EMCS with my first LO and originally decided to go VBAC with this one. Since my last consultant appointment at 20 weeks I have changed my mind and would like an elective c section - I have my last consultant appointment on Friday where we will finalise birth plans - does anyone know if she can refuse my c section request? Just wondering whether I'm going to have to go in with an argument or if it'll be quite straight forward!

My hospitals policy is you can have an elective c-section if you've already had one. But not sure if that varies between different facilities.
Hope you get what you want!

I just wasn't sure if they'd let you change your mind haha thanks though! xx

pretty sure they can't refuse you a c-section after you've already had one. Now... They CAN refuse you a VBAC, trust me on that one. I have zero choice in the matter.

The NICE guidelines have changed in the last year or so and they can't refused you a c section. I know at my hospital, they say they are reluctant to do a c section on the mothers request of she is a FTM but not the second time around.

Yeah I understand that they can refuse VBAC (I'm sorry you don't get to try! :hugs:) and I've been approved for one...though after weeks of going back and forth I've finally decided on an elective BUT in my notes are VBAC plans etc so I'm not sure if I've left it too late to change my mind? I know my 36 week appointment with the consultant is to finalise birth plans but I'm hoping I'm still allowed to change my mind!

I have 6 children. First 2 normal deliveries, 3rd EMCS, 4th VBAC, 5th normal delivery, 6th EMCS.
I am hoping to VBAC with this one and my consultant is quite happy for me to do so providing my baby moves from her breech position, my gestational diabetes is under control and her growth is ok.

So far I am doing everything I can to VBAC but baby is still breech! I would definately VBAC given the chance but sometimes it just isnt meant to be x

They can'r refuse you a section if you have already had one. (if your consultant does you can asked to be refereed to one that will do the section)

You can change your mind at any time.
I told the consultant at 17 weeks i wanted another section this time, i get my date at my 33 week app in 2 weeks.

pretty sure they can't refuse you a c-section after you've already had one. Now... They CAN refuse you a VBAC, trust me on that one. I have zero choice in the matter.

Nobody can refuse you anything. At least not in the uk. They can strongly advise you- but nobody can force you to have a section against your will.

Op- I'm sure your consultant will fully support your decision- good luck!

They will probably still try to convince you to go with VBAC, but if your mind is made up then they can't refuse.
The only problem you might have is them finding a space for C Section now as it's quite late in the day at 36 weeks, so the slots around when you're 39 weeks (when an elective C Section would normally be booked for) will probably be pretty full now from ones booked earlier.
So they may not be able to give you a date straight away/may have to do some juggling around first

They will probably still try to convince you to go with VBAC, but if your mind is made up then they can't refuse.
The only problem you might have is them finding a space for C Section now as it's quite late in the day at 36 weeks, so the slots around when you're 39 weeks (when an elective C Section would normally be booked for) will probably be pretty full now from ones booked earlier.
So they may not be able to give you a date straight away/may have to do some juggling around first

I'd imagine it's fine. My son was breech and i wasn't booked in till 37+4weeks for my section which i had at 38+6

No they can't refuse you a repeat section. I'm going do a VBAC and I have the plan in my notes too but they've always said if I ever want to change my mind then don't be scared to ask.

They do encourage VBAC more but they certainly do not try and stop you from having a ELCS :)

I was undecided so didn't decide until 37 weeks and they booked me for a section 3 days before my due date. You can change your mind at any point.

with my second I asked for a section as first was an emcs and baby was due on eldest 1st birthday so felt it was safer to go for a section which they agreed, I did say that if I was to go into labour before hand then I wanted to try vbac. I didn't so ended up having a section. this time didn't really get much of a choice. they advise against vbac which I didn't mind. was meant to have a section at 39 weeks, but because of pains having one at 38+3, and if I go into labour before hand I have to go straight in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->