benefits - nightmare!

Discussion in 'Work & Finance' started by katethegeek, Apr 22, 2009.

1. katethegeek

katethegeek Well-Known Member

i'm a student nurse, so i'm not entitled to statutory maternity pay. i finish my training (if i make it that far!) just before bump is due, so from then i'll be unemployed.
    i've been searching through any benefits i might be entitled to and, the only one i know for sure, is the £190 grant at 25 weeks.

i'm so confused! any help? :cry:

2. Mynxie

Mynxie Well-Known Member

you may also be entitled to the surestart grant (I think it's £500??) if you're on a low income (which if your bursary is your only income you should qualify) and since you'll be unemployed with a child under 1 year old, you'll be entitled to income support as well as child tax credits.

Have a look on www.directgov.org :winkwink: I hope this helps a little?

3. Abz1982

Abz1982 Mum to 2 nutters!

you should also be entitled to the maternity allowance i would have thought.

4. MummyMummy

MummyMummy Well-Known Member

child benefit once baby born of £20 a week, which is a bit more extra help!

income support you will be entitled to, housing bennefit (if applicable to you), don't know ifyou with babys dad but child maintenance too once baby born. contact your local job centre and ask them see what they say, most of the time they are helpful :lol:

xXx

5. katethegeek

thank you ladies! i'll check everything out. :happydance:

6. Panda_Ally

Panda_Ally Well-Known Member

R u on the bursary?!?! I'm not sure if u might still get maternity pay from them?!?!

7. xx Jaymee xx

xx Jaymee xx proud mummy

nto sure where abouts in the uk u are but my friend became pregnant whilst in her second year of nursing in Scotland and I kniow that she got a years maternity pay from the student awards agency (SAAS).

xxx

8. katethegeek

i'll have finished my training, so won't be entitled to the bursary anymore. :(

9. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

You should be ale to get the maternity allowance, income support, tax credits, Chil,d benifit, the maternity grant of £190. You may also be able to claim housing and counil tax benefit and the surestart materninty grant.

10. isil

isil Well-Known Member

I was only able to get maternity allowance because I'd done paid part time work. I was getting a training bursary for my PGCE which had no baring on my MA, it was waitressing and bar work that they took into account! I think a lot of it will depend on whether you're living with the father or not tbh.