Benefits when resigning due to relocation?

RainbowMum

Counting down to TTC
Reaction score
I always thought you were blocked from receiving benefits(job seeker allowance) if you quit your job, but was just told that it might be different in my case...

I am leaving my job next week as I want to live closer to my partner. There's currently a 200miles distance between us and obviously there was no way that I could move and still stay in my job.

I might have a new job starting October 1st but would be out of work for a month(possibly 2)

Does anyone know whether I'd be entitled to any financial help at all?

This used to be the case but it changed. If you are out of work you can sign on and if you left voluntarily then they will investigate and if the reasons were justified then your money carries on as normal :) Relocation is a perfectly acceptable reason :)

Yeah it's not black and white. As said above it depends on the reason. My friend re located when she married her husband, (they didn't live together before) and her new job in the new location didn't start for 2 months. She was refused JSA however and was told to apply for a crisis loan!

Update:

I put in my claim for JSA at the beginning of September and got money while they were 'investigating' my situation...after being asked 13 rather personal questions[on why the distance of 200 miles between us was putting an emotional strain on me or how it was affecting our relationship] I was told last week that they decided I didn't have enough good reasons to leave my previous job.
So no more JSA for me.

I also can't get Housing Allowance as I live with a private Landlord(in a house share situation) who didn't want anyone on 'dss' and the council send me forms to be filled out by the landlord :(

So I have absoltely no money coming in and paying 330 in rent and money for food every month....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->