best cloth nappy for newborns

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by mommy43, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mommy43

mommy43 isabel's mummy

im back n feeling a bit out of touch also getting a bit ahead of myself :haha: I didn't start with cloth on izzy till 8m so just wondering whats the best type for newborns? can u get a good fit even with the smallest cloth? I have a few btp left but im guessing they would be no good for first few months atleast :shrug:

2. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

Fitteds and covers will probably give you the best containment and reliability across the whole range of shapes and sizes of baby, plus if you have a baby who poos every three seconds you can get away with tumble drying most fitteds whereas you can't with stuff with PUL attached. I'd go for newborn or smalls at first, then look at OS nappies after 4-8 weeks or so. If you want to save more money, terries are a good option for newborns - a steeper learning curve than fitteds but the same reliability once you get the hang of them, plus they dry really quickly.

3. LittlePants

LittlePants Well-Known Member

I don't tink you can beat 50cm bamboo terry squares for newborns. Yes, they take a few practices to get the folds right, but once you've done 1/2 dozen they are simple, always give a good fit, wash well, dry quickly, and can be used after they are outgrown as nappies in their own right, as boosters or inserts, amongst many other uses. They are also very economical - admittedly a bit more expensive the cotton terry, which are also excellent, but bulkier.

4. mommy43

mommy43 isabel's mummy

ive used terrys before only thing is other people being able to change them lol also what wrap would be best

5. MamaPerez

MamaPerez Valentina's Mama

I love the Little Bee Co's Bitty Bee. They offer bamboo and it's sooo absorbent. Plus, it's a good cause. For every diaper purchased, they give a diaper (just like the one you ordered- not a disposable or anything) to an orphan in need. And they outsource production to other countries that need employment, so you supply someone with a job and another with a diaper.

But back to the diaper, they have bamboo and microfleece, but the bamboo is crazy absorbent and the longer drying time makes it worth it. It's so soft, first time I put it on my daughter, she smiled! It's an AIO so it's easy peasy, but they do offer one-size pockets and AIOs if you prefer that. They also have packages on their site.

6. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

For newborns I really liked Bummis Super Brites (not the Super Whispers, they don't have a double gusset) and I also liked Tweedle Bugs and the sized Thirsties covers.. the Thirsties Duos were good too. You could also try some OS covers if you wanted but I'd stick with double gussets like Rumparooz.

7. mommy43

mommy43 isabel's mummy

heard good things about sandys do I go for xs or small or both ?