Best cream for sore / cracked nipples

TTC LADY

Reaction score
I am in agony on one boob which makes it extremely difficult to feed LO. Having to express and then give him a bottle as cant bear the pain.

I have used laminoh for last few days but still in real pain due to having sore and cracked nipple.

Any other creams / ointments anyone can suggest which have relieved the soreness and will allow me to continue EBF.

Thanks

Lanisoh, it is also safe for lo so no need to wash it off.

Asda had their own brand of a cream that i heard amazing things about!
For the life of me i can't remember the name though!

xo

Lanisoh worked best for me - I smothered it on after each feed but used breast pads with it because its so oily it would rub off on anything I would wear so that used to make it not work so well breast pads meant it stayed put x

i used lanisoh but before i applied it i rubbed a little BM in and around the nipple - took about 2 days to get better and I expressed in the mean time cos it was so painful! :flower:

Thanks ladies. Have ordered some nipple shields - has anyone used them ?, do they work ?

i have - they do take the edge off the pain but they're a bit of a faff and DD didn't really like them... Your LO is a bit older than mine though so might react to them better :)

Lanolin works wonders, also expressing some milk rubbing it around and letting it air dry on your nipples helps them heal really fast.

If I continue to express for the sore breast my milk supply will not diminish will it ?, I really want to continue EBF and don't want milk to dry up :-(

I used Newmans nipple cream, it was prescribed by my doc. Im in canada so dont know if you can get it where you live.

Hydrogel disc pads really helped me and so did mighty mum pads when my nipples were very cracked and sore. Lansinoh (*?) is good but I found the pads to be very soothing and helped my nipples to heal quickly.

Also, you can take a pain reliever before feeding to relieve the pain.

Jack Newman's cream, you can look for it in the Jack Newmans website it is a compound, this is that one that did it for us. We are also in Canada

The best thing is breastmilk and leaving them to air out after a feed. Hand express some milk and rub it around your nipple and leave exposed to the air. Lansinoh doesn't work for everyone and actually I probably had a bit of a reaction to it (or a nipple shield, we still don't really know). I used a nipple shield for 8 weeks because my daughter wouldn't latch (I have flat nipples and she probably had a tongue tie) so it was only way I could get her on, otherwise she'd just slide right off. If you can avoid it, I'd try to focus on good nipple care and feeding through the pain if you can bare it, rather than trying a nipple shield. I developed dermatitis (my areola turned red, swelled up and all the skin peeled off) either as a reaction to the Lansinoh or the nipple shield (BF counselor wasn't sure, but she said either could cause it). I'm still missing skin on my areolas and I stopped BF (because of the reaction unfortunately) nearly 3 months ago. Do whatever you have to do to keep feeding, but try not to become dependent on the shield. It will likely cause you more problems than it will solve. But breast milk was the best thing I found both for cracked nipples and the allergic reaction I had, even when all the other creams did nothing or made it worse.

I expressed a bit of milk onto the nipple and spread it round so that the antibodies in the milk could help with the healing. Then used Lansinoh nipple cream.

Sore and cracked nipples are horrible, I do sympathise! Hope you're better soon :flower:

Asda do nspa lanolin and it’s half the price of lansinoh, worked wonders for me. Also as above rubbing in BM and air drying x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->