Best cream for sore / cracked nipples

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by TTC LADY, Jul 2, 2013.

1. TTC LADY

TTC LADY Well-Known Member

I am in agony on one boob which makes it extremely difficult to feed LO. Having to express and then give him a bottle as cant bear the pain.

I have used laminoh for last few days but still in real pain due to having sore and cracked nipple.

Any other creams / ointments anyone can suggest which have relieved the soreness and will allow me to continue EBF.

Thanks

2. Dani_Ldn

Dani_Ldn Well-Known Member

Lanisoh, it is also safe for lo so no need to wash it off.

3. lhancock90

lhancock90 2 toddlers, 1 MMC, WTT#3

Asda had their own brand of a cream that i heard amazing things about!
    For the life of me i can't remember the name though!

xo

4. stockers697

stockers697 Mummy of 1

Lanisoh worked best for me - I smothered it on after each feed but used breast pads with it because its so oily it would rub off on anything I would wear so that used to make it not work so well breast pads meant it stayed put x

5. toby1331

toby1331 Well-Known Member

Organic coconut oil. Love the stuff!

6. nabo86

nabo86 Mam

i used lanisoh but before i applied it i rubbed a little BM in and around the nipple - took about 2 days to get better and I expressed in the mean time cos it was so painful! :flower:

7. TTC LADY

Thanks ladies. Have ordered some nipple shields - has anyone used them ?, do they work ?

8. nabo86

nabo86 Mam

i have - they do take the edge off the pain but they're a bit of a faff and DD didn't really like them... Your LO is a bit older than mine though so might react to them better :)

9. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

Lasinoh is miracle cream for nipples!

10. Jaxvipe

Jaxvipe Mom to Avianna

Lanolin works wonders, also expressing some milk rubbing it around and letting it air dry on your nipples helps them heal really fast.

11. TTC LADY

If I continue to express for the sore breast my milk supply will not diminish will it ?, I really want to continue EBF and don't want milk to dry up :-(

12. meli1981

meli1981 D, me, and our crazy 3!

I used Newmans nipple cream, it was prescribed by my doc. Im in canada so dont know if you can get it where you live.

13. Babushka

Babushka Well-Known Member

Hydrogel disc pads really helped me and so did mighty mum pads when my nipples were very cracked and sore. Lansinoh (*?) is good but I found the pads to be very soothing and helped my nipples to heal quickly.

Also, you can take a pain reliever before feeding to relieve the pain.

14. dudu23

dudu23 Active Member

Jack Newman's cream, you can look for it in the Jack Newmans website it is a compound, this is that one that did it for us. We are also in Canada

15. MindUtopia

MindUtopia Well-Known Member

The best thing is breastmilk and leaving them to air out after a feed. Hand express some milk and rub it around your nipple and leave exposed to the air. Lansinoh doesn't work for everyone and actually I probably had a bit of a reaction to it (or a nipple shield, we still don't really know). I used a nipple shield for 8 weeks because my daughter wouldn't latch (I have flat nipples and she probably had a tongue tie) so it was only way I could get her on, otherwise she'd just slide right off. If you can avoid it, I'd try to focus on good nipple care and feeding through the pain if you can bare it, rather than trying a nipple shield. I developed dermatitis (my areola turned red, swelled up and all the skin peeled off) either as a reaction to the Lansinoh or the nipple shield (BF counselor wasn't sure, but she said either could cause it). I'm still missing skin on my areolas and I stopped BF (because of the reaction unfortunately) nearly 3 months ago. Do whatever you have to do to keep feeding, but try not to become dependent on the shield. It will likely cause you more problems than it will solve. But breast milk was the best thing I found both for cracked nipples and the allergic reaction I had, even when all the other creams did nothing or made it worse.

16. Bevziibubble

Bevziibubble Well-Known Member

I expressed a bit of milk onto the nipple and spread it round so that the antibodies in the milk could help with the healing. Then used Lansinoh nipple cream.

Sore and cracked nipples are horrible, I do sympathise! Hope you're better soon :flower:

17. amytrisha

amytrisha Mother, fiancé, housewife

Asda do nspa lanolin and it’s half the price of lansinoh, worked wonders for me. Also as above rubbing in BM and air drying x

18. noon_child

noon_child Well-Known Member