Best diet whilst breastfeeding?

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
I know this has been touched on in a couple of other threads but what food should we all be eating to maximise the amount of milk we produce? Like a few of you, I am worried i am not producing enough milk and am very tempted to give a formula feed at night but am loathe to do it just in case it puts her off my milk, or causes her to develop colic.

So I have read that Horlicks and Glucose can help, and porridge. Is this based on anyting scientific or is it just what works for some?:confused:

If anyone has got any good advice on this I'd be so grateful. I always make sure I have 3 meals a day and snack a bit in between, and am drinking water/juice/milk, but I still find that I a rarely feel 'full' of milk and when I express I seem to produce very little.

Thanks everyone.

I never feel full and I an express bugger all - not even an ounce - but my little girl has gone from 8lb 11 to 9lb in 12 days!!!! My HV is really chuffed with her progress. Keep making sure you drink loads and eat well. I also got some fennel tea which they say increases your milk supply.

The LC I spoke to said my issue was about believing in myself and my body - the turn around since thursday has been incredible. I have ditched the top ups and the dummy and gone back to basics - boobies on demand!!! We're already getting between 3 and 5 hours between feeds!!!

I'm eating more than I have in months and I'm losing weight hand over fist!!! WIN WIN!!!

x

Not sure about ways to increase milk but just be careful if you're drinking a lot of citrus juices. I found that these irritated Poppy's bottom, something to do with the acidity in them I think. Good luck with the feeding. x

We're already getting between 3 and 5 hours between feeds!!!x

I'm jealous! I feel extremely lucky if I get 2.5 hours between feeds, even through the night :hissy:.

What's your secret?!

I really dont know!!! I started off topping up and then ditched everything. During the day we get about 3-4 hrs then I seem to feed her more often from 4pm onwards. Once we go to bed we're back to 4/5 hrs. Maybe it wont last.....I'm trying to stay optimistic!!

x

I really dont know!!! I started off topping up and then ditched everything. During the day we get about 3-4 hrs then I seem to feed her more often from 4pm onwards. Once we go to bed we're back to 4/5 hrs. Maybe it wont last.....I'm trying to stay optimistic!!

x

Wow, you must have some seriously potent milk in there! Hope it stays that way for you. x

x

Wow, you must have some seriously potent milk in there! Hope it stays that way for you. x

Fingers crossed - It takes me up to an hour to feed her though :dohh:

Not sure about ways to increase milk but just be careful if you're drinking a lot of citrus juices. I found that these irritated Poppy's bottom, something to do with the acidity in them I think. Good luck with the feeding. x

Thanks girls.

Have been drinking a glass of grapefruit juice a day - haven't noticed any irritation with Poppy (snap!) fortunately but thanks for the tip.

I guess from what you've both said it's just a case of keeping on feeding and not giving in to a formula feed. Poppy is putting on loads of weight (has gone from 5lb 1 to over 7lbs in 7 weeks) so I know she is getting milk, it's just that at night she seems less settled as if she is not getting as much by then and also wakes every 2 to 3 hours.

Will have porridge from brekkie and give the fennel tea a go ;)

xx

You're doing a great job honey!!! To get to 7 weeks and only just feeling like you need advice is fab. With my first I'd quit at 7 weeks so I'm in awe of you!!! Keep it up sweetie - sounds like Poppy's thriving!! x

The diet thing like Lisa said just eat really well. Ive been eating loads of fruit and veg eating porridge for brekkie and even sometimes before i go to bed. I got told the tips from health visitors and at a breastfeeding clinic i used to go to with my son. I gave them a whirl and they worked.

I stopped feeling full when i was in the hospital with Ellie but i was still expressing 4 oz when she was being tube fed so i do know that there is enough in there and i was expressing that every 2 hours. So if your not feeling full then i wouldnt worry to much there will be something in there. I couldnt express milk either really with my first strangely this time i was like a milking cow in hospital lol. I think it was my determination to keep her off the formula tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->