Best friend name stealing and a fond goodbye

twists183

Mother of 1 little boy
Reaction score
I'm well over this now but I was quite peeved a few weeks back at something my best friend said (she's the nearest I have to a sister in a way).

We were chatting about baby over the phone and she asked if I was still set on the names I've chosen. I've said for years that I wanted to call my daughter a particular name, quite unsual and not common but still traditional. Anyway, I;ve lately had a change of heart as another name popped into my head and it works much nicer and is quite sweet, less cumbersome. I still love both names, I may even try to use both, but this new name works well with the surname etc, which obviously, choice one, was not designed for having chosen it when I was 14 or so!

So I told her this and she said, yeah...I don't like the second one, I'd never use it, you can have that one and I'll have your first choice for my little girl, I prefer it.

Now I'm not bothered about her dissing my choice of name but I was stunned at the time and pissed off she would just take a name like that that has a long and meaningful history with me and before I've even birthed my child and named it she's decided she wants it!??! :shrug:

Anyway, what is that all about? I;ve decided, as she's not pregnant, isn't seeing anyone and may not have another child before me I'm not going to worry about it, and if she pipes up at some point I'll say well that'll be weird us both having little x's wont it? And it may put her off! But what does anyone else think? Would they have felt outrage/annoyance/bemused?

Also, want to say goodbye, it has been fun here at times, also frustrating too, and quite sad as well, but i'm now going to the last trimester as I'm 27 weeks tomorrow. Goodbye and good luck all the baby bumps in here, see you in the next room soon xxx:thumbup:

I would be SO angry! Caitlyn was almost called Niamh, and it's still a possibility for our next. If someone pinched it knowing I liked it last time I was pregnant I'd be annoyed. Maybe immaturely and selfishly but still annoyed.

If you want to use the name, still use it!

I would be SO angry! Caitlyn was almost called Niamh, and it's still a possibility for our next. If someone pinched it knowing I liked it last time I was pregnant I'd be annoyed. Maybe immaturely and selfishly but still annoyed.

If you want to use the name, still use it!

My OH and MIL were both making out I was being immature/petty at the time for being annoyed but I agree with you, I was really quite livid she would just casually step in a say she wants my name! Huh!

I wander if I'd not told her and given baby choice too if she'd have had the nerve to say as much when she found out, as in, oh so it's not x then? Good, I'll use that for my baby then! :) My second choice is a beautiful little name, just like your choices, so I don't care she wouldn't use it, it's just hey, who called first dibs???

I told her she can't use a name she loves, she wants Mckenzie for a boy, but I know it's also a very popular girls name so it'll be very weird if she used it (Jk Rowlings daughter is a Mckenzie) I can be petty too :)

This has happened with my cousin!! Almost 30!! And acts its all about her!! When her brother had a boy they named him ruairi!! She then had a boy and named him rory!(english versionof ruairi!! Which sounds very similiar!! And now pronounces it ruairi!!(bitch) and when she had her last she was pregnant at same time as her sis in law(hubbys sis) + sis in law unfortunately said i like name niamh and ann went into labour before her and what did she call her baby?? Niamh!! Sis in law wasnt imprest!! Dont blame her,she has no originality and neither has your friend!! I dont blame you for being pist off,my hubby would be like your oh,he would say dont let it bother you,sure whats the problem?? Men!! Arrrrghhhh, you be as cheeky as shes being,watch her face!! Cheek of her,

I am going through that right now! Well I have been now for close to two years in the making I guess! When I got pregnant in early June 2007 I began thinking of names right away, and it was tough! After reading through numerous baby name books I seen the name Kayleigh and fell in love! I was only around 12 weeks when we picked the name. I thought for sure I was having a girl! The reason I love Kayleigh so much is because
Kay- My Grandmother
Leigh- My Mother's middle name... and our choices for middle names are

Ella Rose- Both of Mark's Grandmothers!! Perfect Name!!

We had told Mark's cousin and his girlfriend our name choices and they seemed to like them :) We found out on October 4th 2007 that we were expecting a boy! So that meant this baby wasn't being named Kayleigh, so we picked Kaleb. I ended up loosing Kaleb at 37 weeks due to a complete placental abruption and was devastated! When I was around 5-6 months pregnant I found out the cousin's girlfriend was expecting as well.... and soon after we lost Kaleb, she found out the sex of her baby was a girl and they called and said they were naming her Kayleigh! Same spelling and everything!!!!!!!
I told them that day, that someday their daughter will have a little cousin named Kayleigh too and they sounded so mad! Now that I am expecting and it's a girl we chose the name Kayleigh Ella Rose and every time we speak to them they ask if we are still using Kayleigh!!!!!!!! Makes me so mad! I told them, yes we are using that name we had it picked out for nearly two years!!!! It bothers me a lot that they would be the ones acting like we were stealing their name when we had it all planned out before she was even pregnant! Ugh! Nice rant there but I so understand how you are feeling and I am pissed too!

To top it off, they said right before they found out they were having a girl, they wanted to use the name Kaleb as well!!!!!!!! I didn't hear this from her until a few weeks ago!

This is why I was quiet about it to anyone - i knew what people would be like!

I had lots of names but kept them shhhhh!

Well twists. tough luck she isnt pregnant now and cant use it - I'm sure once she is pregnant and your LO has a personality to go with the name she will probably choose something else.

baby maybe I think Kayleigh ella Rose is lovely. Ella Rose is the name of the baby next to alex just now, everyone thinks its lovely

I wouldn't worry if shes not pregnant yet, surely she would not call her baby the same name as yours?? that would be too confusing and bit weird. I love the name Layla but its my friends little girl who is nearly 1 so I wouldn't use it, because the name now reminds me of my friends little girl.

I wouldnt worry hun - its going to be long time before she has to worry about baby names. Some women just seem to lose all sense of decency when they are jealous! xxx

if i wasnt planning on using both names i wouldnt really be bothered tbh! people change there mind so much and the fact shes not even pregnant i woulda been like " ok yeah whatever"

thats just me though

xx

My good friend did this too me, She had her 2 chosen boy names - she was having a boy, he was early and i got a call from her mum, she told me she had called him Ethan, this was my name choice for a boy since i was pregnant and decided def when i was 12 weeks, it was never on her list!!!

yes im having a boy now, but its still v annoying. she didnt even say she really liked it. and she said whats your names dont worry i wont use them!....

Now i think iv chosen a girls name but im not even telling my family. everyone has too many opinions and i cant be doing with it.

good luck in 3rd tri, see you soon!!

Thanks for your comments everyone. As I say i'm over it now but it is good to know others agree with my sentiments at least.

See you all in the 3rd tri :)

without coming across a cow, but why are you letting this bother you? You had just said to her you were thinking of another name anyway, & she isnt even pregnant lol
People can choose what name they like & i really dont mean this to come across im being snotty im not :hugs2: I wanted millie as a girls name for a long time & when my brothers wife was preg with now lilly they wanted millie for her, I was upset to say the least as they knew for yrs id loved it & would use it, I thought it was inconsiderate of them... i wasnt even pregnant! Anyway they called her lilly & sometime later i got preg & found out this bump was blue..and tbh i felt bad as they didnt call it her coz of me & now i wasnt calling mine that either. It was upto them what they called her & i should not of caused a fuss like i did. So i do understand where your coming from hun. I think if she was due before you & then called it her baby then id be livid but she isnt even pregnant & you cant expect ppl not to call a baby what they like just coz you like it thats what i mean i just say things arse about tit sometimes lol

Dont give it another thought hun, you might even call bump somert completely diff xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->