Best way of weaning off dummy?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by **angel**, Aug 31, 2009.

1. **angel**

**angel** Mummy to 2 little boys!

Kaleb has dummy alot :( but also pulls it out alot lol espec when not swaddled at night i want to stop swaddling as he keeps escaping..waking up then i have to put dummy back in...i have tried him without dummy to go to sleep but he screams so much and he then gets himself in a right state very quickly and wont settle atall (does this if i try him in cot during day but is fine by night!!)

Any words of advice?? He is sucking his hands loads but is teething too!! xx

2. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

Ive found cold turkey is only way that works but its hard but gets easier

3. helenbun2005

helenbun2005 Well-Known Member

i want to go cold turkey too but hubby is aginst it, so now i only give harry a dummy maybe 2/3 times in a day to help sooth for a nap and thats it...not a night at all

4. candeur

candeur Well-Known Member

I went cold turkey with Seren, it was rough for a couple of days but then it got better.
    You could try just cutting down and only giving it at a certain time if you don't want to go cold turkey x

5. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

IMO Cutting it down is worse due to baby being confused why they can only have it alittle ...if u cut it out completley within a week they will forgot

6. **angel**

**angel** Mummy to 2 little boys!

trouble is he gets in big state..sweating, coughing, going stiff etc when he doesnt have it for comfort so dont think it wud be good 4 him iykwim??

7. amylw1

amylw1 my 3 boys in avatar. x

with my eldest he had a dummy until he was 2.5yrs. we then explained that only babies had dummies and he put the all in the cot for his baby brother and never looked back.

middle 1 had a dummy for about 8weeks, sucked to go sleep then spat it out, so i stopped giving it to him. had a few teary nights getting off to sleep but was fine.

blake has 1 as he chomps his fist, and it isnt cos he hungry. again he sucks it to go sleep then spits it out.