Beta HCG - I'm confused can somebody help me clarify something: /

Jaycrew

Reaction score
Hi- its been a while - hope all is well with everyone. Please help me on this- Im am looking to verify if beta hcg calculates on LMP or ovulation/conception?
My weeks are off. I just had a positive preg test- LMP 1/27/2016. I never thought I was pregnant but just took a test last night which by my range of my cylce I could've ovulation between 2/10 and 2/16. Anywho Beta is showing 506 as of today. Everything says 5 wks. U/S was done but with that low of a number you cant see anything anyway. by my lmp I should be 7 wks though?

If I look at is as DPO it would actually put me in my ovulation week which is also the week I know I would have conceived (not implanted). If I go by lmp it makes my numbers low for 7 wks lmp.

any clue? Can someone help me clarify? Thanks!!! :) :wacko:

Did you confirm ovulation with temps or opk's? If not I'd just say you had an off cycle and ovulated really late. It can happen. I've had it happen. Not often but in our 7 years ttc our dd it happened around 4 times and I'm normally really regular. At 7 weeks your levels would be way above that and I've never had a scan at 7 weeks where you can't see anything so you being 5 weeks sounds about right. As long as your Hcg is rising I wouldn't stress over it at all. Congratulations!

Did you confirm ovulation with temps or opk's? If not I'd just say you had an off cycle and ovulated really late. It can happen. I've had it happen. Not often but in our 7 years ttc our dd it happened around 4 times and I'm normally really regular. At 7 weeks your levels would be way above that and I've never had a scan at 7 weeks where you can't see anything so you being 5 weeks sounds about right. As long as your Hcg is rising I wouldn't stress over it at all. Congratulations!

Thank you and same to you!!!!! :)

unfortunately I wasn't tracking anything but normally i'm on a 28-32 or even 35 day range for ovulation. which still in that range puts me into the correct time frame if hcg is based on ovulation and conception dates.

The next time I had intercourse was like 2/26 and then my "cycle" started March 2nd (4 days later) so I know I could not have conceived at that point since I started spotting since 3/2 and have had since then along with breast tenderness and bad nausea which I chalked it all up to pms.

that 1 wk that I am "short" on is confusing me since i have been spotting off and on since march 2nd which was actually when my cycle was due. and the last time we had sex again was 2 nights ago lol .
I think im over thinking it perhaps. but I am a worry wart sometimes I cant help it lol

Hi jaycrew nice to see another familiar face joining! Without tracking your cycle you might go nuts trying to figure it out unfortunately. I had a regular period with this pregnancy and saw the heartbeat today so if I hadn't been sure when I ovulated I'd be crazy right now. Anyways fingers crossed your levels rise and all is well.

I didn't ovulate till about CD 36 (I think...I would need to check fertility friend) and had hcg taken a few times. My doctor was all doom and gloom and didn't believe me that I know my body an have long cycles.

I, and my midwife, never go by LMP because it's not accurate for me.

I'm on my phone but if you look at threads I started I had one or two about my HCG numbers. Yours sounds absolutely fine to me.

Hi jaycrew nice to see another familiar face joining! Without tracking your cycle you might go nuts trying to figure it out unfortunately. I had a regular period with this pregnancy and saw the heartbeat today so if I hadn't been sure when I ovulated I'd be crazy right now. Anyways fingers crossed your levels rise and all is well.

HEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance: THank you and congratulations!!! I feel ya! Im pretty sure I OV'd on the 12th or 13th. Seems like Feb 26th or 27th ( the next dtd date) would be too late for me given that I dont ovulate that late. Plus the light bleeding started March 1st or 2nd when my cycle was actually due along with the other symptoms which is why I never thought to test until the other day- but even if I conceived on that date the 26th of feb that is- I really dont think I would have had symptoms as soon as the 2nd of march lol
My actual ob gyn just did another draw - he says labs are so diff with their values that he would rather track his own.
My concern is if the pregnancy is viable. but its in Gods hands and we shall see. I go back on monday for another draw. Called the nurse that they did yesterday and she said it is strictly calculated off of hormone levels in the body no LMP or ovulation is factored into their calculations which would make perfect sense since HCG is secreted after implantation in which if I did ov on the 13th and hypothetically implanted the earliest at 6 days DPO then my HCG test would make a lot of sense if its hormone based. Plus the hospital lab come to find out considers my count to be 1-2 mos which is different than the values on the internet. Ok Im officially BONKERS!!! LOL :wacko::wacko:

I didn't ovulate till about CD 36 (I think...I would need to check fertility friend) and had hcg taken a few times. My doctor was all doom and gloom and didn't believe me that I know my body an have long cycles.

I, and my midwife, never go by LMP because it's not accurate for me.

I'm on my phone but if you look at threads I started I had one or two about my HCG numbers. Yours sounds absolutely fine to me.

I think you are right - I just realized last night that the values on the hospital lab are different and put me at 1-2 mos. And they said they do it based off hormone calculations not LMP or Ov measurements calculations. which tells me if they say hormone based strictly then its implantation since thats when hcg is produced. :wacko::wacko: LOL

Jaycrew I'm not sure hcg levels in and of themselves are the best way to date a pregnancy (if they were none of mine would have been considered viable!). If they are doubling that's great but my levels were 49 at 14 dpo and my progesterone was a 9 lol! I guess my point is hcg varies so much pregnancy to pregnancy that a level at 4 weeks for one woman may not happen for another until 6 or 7 weeks. Make sure to update when you get some news and fingers crossed the hcg rises appropriately!

Jaycrew I'm not sure hcg levels in and of themselves are the best way to date a pregnancy (if they were none of mine would have been considered viable!). If they are doubling that's great but my levels were 49 at 14 dpo and my progesterone was a 9 lol! I guess my point is hcg varies so much pregnancy to pregnancy that a level at 4 weeks for one woman may not happen for another until 6 or 7 weeks. Make sure to update when you get some news and fingers crossed the hcg rises appropriately!

You are so right!!!!! After my doc explained that even the labs differ in variances and weeks and stuff it made me feel a lot better. the internet can make you go crazy sometimes! One pregnancy I was only 5 wks or so and my numbers were insanely high like in the thousands ;) I should be taking one day at a time because once that hormone starts rising thats when all the symptoms start flooding in. not looking forward to exhaustion and food adversions/ severe nausea. Thank God I have never had morning sickness! Ugh .

My hCG at 10DPO was 24 and at 14DPO was 203. I only had those two. The office went by my LMP but I was tracking ovulation and know that it happened late. After the first test the nurse all but told me I was going to miscarry...

We had our first scan at 6+6 and saw a san with a tiny bean that had pulsating heartbeat. No sound or anything, just watched it flicker on the monitor for a little bit. The second scan wasn't until 12 weeks.

Here's the range my doctor's office lists for gestational weeks hCG:
0-1 Week 5-50
1-2 Weeks 50-500
2-3 Weeks 100-5,000
3-4 Weeks 500-10,000
4-5 Weeks 1,000-50,000
5-6 Weeks 10,000-100,000
6-8 Weeks 15,000-200,000
2-3 Months 10,000-100,000

You're in a good range for about 5 weeks, that would be (3-4 weeks gestation) and that's definitely too early to see anything on a scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->