BF Essentials

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
Hello ladies!

I plan on exclusively BF my little girl once she's born. Problem is, I don't know what in the world I need. I FF my son since the day he was born but plan on at least trying BF for 6 weeks with this baby. I am going to go to a class in July, but I want to start getting what I can now. I don't plan on getting a pump until I know for sure if I'm going to continue or not, so I don't need that right away. But as for everything else, I'm at a loss.

So if anyone can give me a list of the things I'll need for BF my LO, it would be so helpful. Also, is there anything I should be doing now to prepare for BF?

nursing tanks!!! I lived in mine at first, they have built in bras and it's so much more comfy then wearing a bra 24/7. I took some to the hospital too.

comfy nursing bras

good nursing pads

boppy

lansinoh cream

Hope that helps some :) Good luck!!!

Agreed ^^ You will live in a comfortable nursing tanktop or bra!

Well the great thing about BFing is actually the essentials are stuck to your chest!!!!

But obviously there are things that can make like easier.

Check out the sticky thread at the top of the page for things (not all actual items ;) ) that helped other members in those first weeks.

Ok I'll add some that's not been mentioned....

A pint glass....to fill with water....
Belly Bands...for under normal clothes to cover your tummy when you lift a t-shirt or top.
A reclining chair or foot stool....get your feet up and relax

To prepare you can practice saying this.....

'Darling!! Please would you just pass me the/a/some (delete as applicable) ''item required'' .....I'm just nursing bubby.....' :lol:

Good luck....I hope you love it as much as I do! x

Comfy nusring bra and muslins LOTS of muslins!

One thing I was told to do and I didn't.. and wish I did....
Was to toughen up my nipples. Start pulling on them and what not to toughen them up!
Also - I forget what they are called - but there's something you can buy at a pharmacy and put over your nipples, and it gradually pulls them out. That's more if you have flat nipples - which I have!
Just helps LO get a better latch if your nipples are out more! :)

lansinoh cream, it saved my nipples in the early days, expensive but sooo worth it

One thing I was told to do and I didn't.. and wish I did....
Was to toughen up my nipples. Start pulling on them and what not to toughen them up!
Also - I forget what they are called - but there's something you can buy at a pharmacy and put over your nipples, and it gradually pulls them out. That's more if you have flat nipples - which I have!
Just helps LO get a better latch if your nipples are out more! :)

Nipple shields?

For me...

A good electric breast pump and the necessary supplies for it - get an extra set of the pump kit stuff (flanges and membranes, etc) for when the first set is in the wash and you are too tired to do the dishes (my baby was premature so I had to pump more than most, but I still think it's worth the $$ to get a decent pump...you will want some freedom at some point and for your OH to do a feeding once in a while)

Nursing tanks or sports bras. I hate hate hate nursing bras. The band around the bottom is just too tight, even when I go a size up from what I was measured to be. It puts too much pressure on the ducts etc for me, and I find them uncomfortable. Nursing tanks and sports bras have been a lifesaver. I live in my sports bras. Supportive but have enough give. I just pull them up to breast feed.

Burp cloth or something like that to put over the side you are not feeding on, I tend to leak everywhere if I don't have something there to absorb. These are cheaper and washable than running through tons of breast pads.

Good breast pads. I found I was allergic to something in some of them, so I had trouble with certain ones.

Lots of water, it makes you thirsty!

Patience... ;)

Foot cream or lotion! :) That way when you are nursing or pumping your hubby can help you relax by rubbing your feet (it helps milk production and let down to be relaxed).

you definitely need patience, and support but you get loads of that on here!!

A good supply of Mars Bars! I was given a pkt by the nurse at the hospital before I left and told to eat one every evening. I thought she was mad and laughed, but she said they are great for helping you keep going through the night feeds. I gave it a go and I feel it did help a little ( although any excuse to have a choccy bar a day is good for me!)

A good supply of Mars Bars! I was given a pkt by the nurse at the hospital before I left and told to eat one every evening. I thought she was mad and laughed, but she said they are great for helping you keep going through the night feeds. I gave it a go and I feel it did help a little ( although any excuse to have a choccy bar a day is good for me!)

Oooh and excuse for a Mars Bar!! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->