bf experts...feeding patterns?

bambino

Reaction score
Ok, so my Lo is 3 weeks old and she has been great to feed so far. I wasn't initially convinced by bfing as I had visions of her feeding off me for hours on end. At the moment tho all seems to be going well. She feeds every 2 1/2-3 hours for approx 10 mins. She has regained her birth weight plus an extra pound so I know she is doing well. Im just worried that my supply will reduce as she feeds at regular intervals. She never takes it if I offer it before she is asking for it. I have read that you shouldn't stick to regular feeding patterns, but she is demanding at regular intervals. In the night she goes 3-4 hours between feeds. I'm confused as to how this all works but don't want my milk supply to lower if this is a possibility? :)

If you are feeding on babys demand whenever she is hungry then thats fine.

Sounds like you are doing fab!!!

My LO is just under 3 wks and we are still not near birthweight yet!

Not sure about the 10 mins feeds though - I would have thought newborns would take a bit longer - my midwife says 20mins should be a feed if thats 20mins of sucking/swallowing. I guess as baby gets bigger they get quicker and better at feeding??:flower:

yeah i thought it should be longer too but she is getting hind milk as her nappies are yellow and not green. Had a chat with lactation consultant about that as her nappies were green a few times but now yellow which suggests she is feeding fine. She said 10 mins is ok, but she seems to feed really well. with a good latch and suck x

For the first 2 weeks my boy was the same 10 minute to the dot feeds every 2 hours but oh my how things have changed...I used to be able to tell time by his feeds now I no longer keep track...sometimes it's every 1/2 hour, hour, 2 hours just depends and sometimes it's 10, 15, 20 or 25 minutes. No feeding pattern here yet at 6 weeks.

Your pattern sounds great now and I wouldn't worry at all - just don't be surprised when it changes...I was and it took getting used to that he wasn't so "regular" anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->