BF or FF ? wot do u plan to do ?!

honey08

mum2two boys/2mc
Reaction score
can i ask, whos planning on bf ? and who wanting to ff ?
im wanting to bf at least for first few wks, but im scared the hospital wont have time to show me (i read alsorts of stories, and ours aint the best hospital) but i defo do wana try and give it my best with bf ......... wot are ur thought/views/hopes etc ? x
also if ur bf are u getting a brestpump ? if so which one ? xx

wots u past experinces if uv already a LO also ?
thanks xx

I've only just stopped BFing Kaya, and I will be BFing this next one as well for at least a year. Speak to your MW about BF support as they often run anti-natal classes on BFing.

I want to give breast milk for the first 2 weeks via expressing to give the baby antibodies but then I want to move onto the formula after that.
My cousin just had her baby yesterday.. a little boy.. and the hospital wont discharge her til the baby 'latches on'
I dont really want that to be honest.. it would feel weird I think. lol

I will be BF'ing this one the same as i did my other 2 children.

I BF my DD for 6 months and my DS for 6 weeks. I will be expressing this time too then daddy can feel more involved with feeds.

with my eldest i tried to bf but midwifes were useless at my hossy and i gave up after 2 days and went to formula. with my 2nd i was determined to do better but the same midwifes were useless so gave in as she was screaming for food when my milk came through though i gave it another shot and managed to do it all on my own but she was a hungry baby and so she was mixed fed til she was 4 months stress had dried my milk up and she just wasnt intrested anymore so she went onto formula.a

this baby i am aiming to bf for at least a year maybe more. its a wonderful feeling and i was so sad when i had to stop with my youngest as i missed it so much. x

I plan on BF, if possible for me... (I had a boob job) I'm pretty sure I can as if i sqeeze around my nipple a clear liquid comes out? Sorry if tmi lol.

I really really want to breastfeed. I think it's a beautiful thing to do but it's the health benefits that really swing it for me. But this is my first baby so I don't know if everything will go to plan. I hope the hospital is supportive, but if not I've noticed a poster at the GP for a breastfeeding support group. You can go along before you give birth too, which I think I might do so I have a better idea what to expect.

My hubby keeps saying that a lot of women find it impossible to breastfeed. He's trying to make sure that I have realistic expectations so I won't be too disappointed if I don't manage it, but I'd rather he was positive for me! I've read that most women can, with the right help, and I plan to get help if needed.

I'm not too sure about a breast pump. Part of me thinks it will be easier if I can share feeding with my husband, but I don't work and he does, so I'll be doing all the night feeds and weekdays anyway. And I've read that some babies, once given the bottle, find it hard to go back to the nipple or at least develop a preference. And I'm worried that if I start expressing, I'll get too used to the convenience of having a bottle in the fridge and start using formula earlier than I would otherwise. And I know I'm awful for saying this, but a tiny little bit of me wants to keep feeding as something between me and my baby. I wouldn't mind my husband feeding him/her, but the idea of my family-in-law getting involved horrifies me... don't think I could cope with that at first. Plus, we're all Muslims and they would NOT want to be around when baby is being breastfed (stupid outdated ideas about modesty) so saying 'baby needs to be fed now' could turn out to be a very useful way of preventing long visits!!!

I will do all I can to BF, i've wanted to all along. I do have a breast pump too tho as i would like to express so DF and mums etc can be more involved in feeding :) Also means if i want to go out to bingo or something then i can :rofl:

im going try and bf this baby. i bf hannah and it was really hard at first coz your boobs are really sore and she wasnt latching on prop. hospital where really rubbish, kept telling me she needed feeding but wouldnt help me bf her so she had formula till i got home. at home i expressed some milk so my boobs didnt feel as sore, had a nice warm bath, got in bed with her and put a cusion under her so she was in a good position and she took it perfectly and from then on it was great. she hardly cried because when she was hungry she got fed straight away rather than having to wait till bottle was warmed. had to stop at 3months coz i had to stay in hospital a few nights and they wouldnt let me express coz of cross contamination and my milk dried up :-(

dont know if bf has anything to do with it but hannah has never been to the doctors apart from her jabs and she is 5

oh and i had avent breast pump with hannah which was ok, iv got a tommie tippee one this time but it was only £10 so i dont matter if i dont like it

I love BFing so will BF for about nine months as with my other two. I always BF exclusively until weaning then they have formula from 9mths. I absolutely love BFing...

I bf with my son for about 4 months, but i had lots of probs personal to me that led to me stopping at 4 months, this time i wanna go as long as possible.
I know from last time the mw's at my hospital will probably be too busy to help me so i spoke to my mw at booking and she said she was arranging for me to have as mush help and support as needed even if it meant i had 2 or 3 visits a day at home to help me, whether she has done this i don't know cos she is useless at everything else but my point is your mw probably isn't useless and if you mention your concerns to her she is then aware and may be able to get you lots of help and support.
I had a manual breast pump with ds which i found hard work but my friend has recommended the tommee tippee closer to nature one so am gonna give it a go but am also looking into an electric one just in case.
At the end of the day i think the choice to bf/ff is a very personal one and one only you can make, i also think whether expressing is right/works for you is a very personal thing as is the type/make of pump.
What i am trying to get at in a very cack handed way is that, it's your choice and once you have made the decision there is lots of support for you either way, go with what feels right for you and surround yourslef with people who are supportive and ignore anyone who gives you any grief lol.
Also if having made a decision you decide to change your mind at any time then thats fine, don't feel like things are set in stone, go woth what feels right for you at the time and re-evaluate whenever you feel you need to.

Ps, not too long till you'll be moving over, can't wait to see you in third tri xxx

Unfortunately I will be FF, due to medication I have to go back on the second my little man is born, it would be very harmful to him. I really wish I could BF but have to do what's best for him, take care :hugs: XX

littlemansmum
i know less than a wk :dance:

its so confusing, im hoping that LO will jsut be fine bf'in, then after a while i can express and let his dad feed him from bottle,i wudnt mind if he wudnt take the boob after a bottle as long as i cud express , it seems a long devoted thing to do bf but im defo willing to give it my best just hope i can get show properly etc

i will be bottle feeding from the minute its born. i have 3 generations of breast cancer in family and have been advised against bf by the top cancer and genetic doctors in the uk. i know the hosps say it reduces the risk, but i'm not going against what i have been advised, plus it doesnt appeal to me in the slightest.

I def intend to give BF a go, but like you Honey08 have heard not great things re the support from the mws in my area. Thankfully I spotted a post in the BF section from Mervsmum mentioning Baby Cafes which are basically support groups for BF mums, with help from professionals. So relieved to find there's one in my area so hopefully will be using that for support. They encourage you to pop in whilst pregnant so I'm going to visit them when I first go on mat leave b4 lo arrives. Maybe they'll have one near you hun....... https://www.thebabycafe.org/

I would like to breastfeed. I have to be realistic though as my mother nor grandmother was able to do it due to lack of nutrients. Might be something I should mention to someone? I would like to express as I will still be working after the baby is born and would like to wean at around six months. See how it goes.

Caramel
there isnt one near us :? little dissapointed

hiya ,

i know this may sound bad but it is not meant to. Does anyone know if you can express milk straight away rather then breastfeed and how does it work is it hard or sometime not possible?i know its suppose to be a beautiful thing to breast feed,but i dont get those feelings. i tried hard to change my mind and know it is the best for your baby. the thought of it makes me cringe i just so dont want to do it. im really not a selfish person even if this may seem. maybe if i could express my milk straight away i would rather do that. but at the moment im thinking of bottle feeding. :shrug:

loulou2409
i think its hard to do this cos the baby stimulate the milk, so expressing wud be slow, its not awful to say at all, not sure how i feel at the moment, cos i wudnt wana sit at familys houses with my boobs out etc :blush: maybe after ur milks ere properly u wud be able to express more, or even mix feed xx

Mix feeding is an option, my mw said that as my son lost so much weight after birth 12% to be precise his weight gain could be slow and once he was a month old i could try giving one or 2 bottles of formula a day which i did with no probs, so maybe an option? xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"