• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

BF question - also postd in BF forum

M

MegGriffin

Hi ladies,

My little girl is almost 6 days old and we've managed to get the hang of breastfeeding which is great, but I have a question about when to switch breasts.

Do you wait until one breast is completely drained before offering the other one? also what if baby hasn't finished draining one breast completely, falls asleep then wants feeding 2 hours later - do you use the same breast or use the other one?

My midwife said to make sure baby gets the hind milk as this is the calorie laden milk and is found right at the end of the breast milk, but I am confused about if she is getting this when she finishes and is only halfway through a boob.

Thanks! x

Hey yes i would wait til one boob is empty before changing. Always start the next feed with the other boob or the second boob if you've changed during the feed.
Imagine your babys feeding as communication with your milk supply hence always starting with the same boob says "make more with this one and less with the other"
Good luck! X

Swap LO when they release the nipple. Start the next fed with whichever side LO fed least from at last feed, or alternate at each feed. There's no right or wrong way. As long as your LO is having yellow poos not green ones, they're probably getting enough hind milk.

my lo tells me! He pinches and bashes my boob while grunting. This means 'oi, mum, you're empty!'

To start with i would swap after a few mins but she started getting green poos so was obviously getting too much of the first milk. Now she still tends to only have one side and then i swap the next feed.

I always do one side per feed. I then use the other side for the next feed. It works for me, but everyone is different!

Your boobs are never empty; but your baby will tell you when they are finished with one side by starting to pull off as soon as you've latched them on or continually falling asleep on that side. I always used to put LO back on the same side even when he unlatched as sometimes he did still want a bit more from that side-but if he did the above things then I'd swap him over. As for which side I started the next feed with; if he had only fed on the second side briefly; I'd start on that side next time but if he had fed on it for a long time I would start on the other side (i.e. the side I started the previous feed with) next time. Worked well for us and after I dealt with LOs dairy intolerance we never had a green poo again ever xx

I also do one side per feed and did with my son as well! xx

I start with whichever feels the fullest. I keep going until it feels relief, then switch over.

No rhyme or reason. As long as you have LO on both, hopefully for the equal amount of time in one day, it's fine.

Thanks ladies, LO is having plenty of seedy mustard coloured poos, so hopefully that sows she's getting eough of the hind milk? x

Yes the poo is a sure sign of that. From what I have read if they have both sides; its a bit like them having a light snack/drink/starter then a full meal and the other boob is like a light dessert/drink after their meal to finish them off. Single side feeding does work for some women but the risk of it is many women don't have the milk ducts/glandular tissue to only feed from one side at a time and even if their supply is above average overall they need to feed from both sides for their baby to gain weight well and to get a good balance of the different fat levels in the milk xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"