BF Support Group....

24/7

Mummy to Sam & Abigail
Reaction score
LO is three weeks old now, and has never latched on for more than a few seconds, so I have been expressing as much as life with a three week old baby allows, and topping up with formula as I have only been able to express half of his feeds.

The MW and HV have been useless in assisting, and have only ever said keep trying, which I have but with no success so far.... At a chance meeting with a BF councellor at the hospital, she suggested a local BF support group, which I am going to go to this week, however I'm really nervous, and have visions of walking in to a room of people BF, when I can't do it, and being made to feel even worse than I already do over him having formula. :cry:

So, I was wondering, has anyone been to one and what is it like? Will someone be there that can try and help with his latch? And will it be in a group situation like I am imagining or will it be private? I know I'm probably being silly, and it isn't like I imagine, but its such a sensitive thing that I can't do something that should come so naturally. xx

The one I go to have experienced people who will give you the support, and also a seperate room if you feel more comfortable with that for watching your positioning. There is normally a mixture of breastfeeding mums there more for a social gathering to get out of the house and have a chat with other mums.

Have you tried nipple shields at all - my little one would not latch initially at first and that is how we managed the first few weeks. The hospital I was in wouldn't let us out until breastfeeding was established - nipple shields let us escape. Now there is no stopping her, although the little minx still likes the end of my nipple instead of a gobful.

I go to one and find it brilliant! Everyone is very helpful, even the regular mums and the the HV and peer supporters will help you there and then or take you somewhere private.

I would definitely advise going to one - it may seem daughting at first, but will be worth it for the support and advise from the professionals as well as sharing experiences with other mums! Good luck!

I have been going to a bf support group since Ivy was 5 weeks, I have never met anyone there who wasnt lovely and supportive.

Also two Mums combi feed at my group and bring their bottles of formula each week - no one bats and eyelid :flower:

Thanks girls - I so want to go, its just nerves putting me off!!

I didn't start BF until LO was six days old, and I know its my fault we are abit stuck with it all, and I am so scared of being judged. :( xx

Thanks girls - I so want to go, its just nerves putting me off!!

I didn't start BF until LO was six days old, and I know its my fault we are abit stuck with it all, and I am so scared of being judged. :( xx

You havent done anything wrong for something to be your fault hun :hugs:

I am sure no one will judge you, if you go to a bf support group it is normally because you need some support! You will be amazed by the help other Mums can give, normally more than the professionals!

Jen - do you want me to see if there is a group near me that runs either on a Tuesday or Friday and I can come with you? xx

Oh that would be fab, thank you!! :D I think there might be one at a church in Bromley on a tuesday, will check that too!! :D xx

I have been going to my local group for the last few weeks, it is small group but really friendly and helpful, people always coo over your baby to start with so that relaxes you, sit down and chat a bit and it you don't feel like you want to BF within the group then you could ask to be seen privately. You will feel at ease though.

fab i'll take a lookie and come with you :) let me go google :D lol

Thank you!! :D I can't do this tuesday or thursday, so is next week ok? :D Sam is proving popular now OH is back to work!! xx

this is the number for our local la leche league group :D

KENT LLL Bexley and Bromley: - 0208 658 4293

I'll be at work tomorrow but if you can ring them and find out i'll defo come with you :) week after next is fine hun :) if its on a different day i can take a day off if you want? we'll sort it though :D

Next week is fabby, will ring tomorrow!! :D xx

I go to one it should be supportive. No-one will be judging you rather totally the opposite. I really recommend going as it should bd invaluable & may mean you get it sorted! Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->