BF with a flat nipple

mommyof2peas

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

I havent started BFing yet as I still haven't had my DD, BUT I will be. I BF both of my other children. My question is my left nipple is flat and makes BFing from that side rather difficult. After the first couple months my right side is ALWAY bigger as my baby tends to like it more. Are there any tricks anyone has for trying to BF with a flat nipple?

Thank you!!:happydance:

I have a similar problem with my left nipple and its got to the point now where I dont use that side for feeding as it was too painful, my daughter got frustrated as the nipple went back in after 5 minutes and because the nipple went in mid feed I keep getting infections in that nipple. I dont produce milk on that side any more but that is out of choice. I stopped latching baby on that side and also expressing. I feed solely of the right side and although the boob is much bigger it isnt a problem and i have plenty of milk.

You could try either hand expressing or a breat pump to entice the nipple out and then let baby feed on that side after you have got the nipple out. You could try a nipple shield or something a breast feeding councellor told me was to go around the nipple and push the skin back into your chest, this should force the nipple out.

Hope this helps and good luck with the remainder of hyour pregnancy and also the birth. Hope the nipple issue sorts itself xx

Lansinoh Latch Assist can be quite good for some people in helping to draw out a flat nipple
https://www.mothercare.com/Lansinoh-Latch-Assist/dp/B001PAICVS?extid=google_product_extensions

i had one flat nipple i had to use nipple shields as my lo had problems latching due to tongue tie and then couldnt latch on after it was snipped my mw did suggest using the latch assistant in the post above but i never used it i also found pinching my boob so my lo had something to latch onto helped :) good luck :)

I had the same problem with my left side. After a few weeks my right one was great but was having trouble getting LO on my left so I pumped from it often to bring it out and used shields, now LO has no problem :)

My right nip became flat after labour. I used a manual pump to draw it out, nipple shield and now I just stick it in his mouth and let him draw it out, it's no longer painful to do that.

Both my nipples were flat after giving birth (was nevera problem beforehand!!), and LO made them soooo sore trying to pull them out to feed that he was drinking more blood than milk at one point (about a week in I think). I started to use nipple shields for every feed and then once every few days I'd try a feed without them (LO wouldn't latch). After about 6 weeks the shields had worked and I now have pointy nipples again! :thumbup: I don't need the shields anymore and LO never suffered from nipple confusion despite using the shields from day 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->