Bfeeding, conceiving, weaning oh I dont know!!! Long, sorry! X

mackenzie

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I haven't been in for ages but I'm in need of some wisdom.
My dd is 17 months old, she is bf on demand, although I am trying a bit of distraction during the day. We cosleep and she feeds during the night at least once.
We would really love another baby and I know dd would love a sibling. I've always wanted a few at least :) so I don't know how much bfeeding will affect my chances of conceiving. My periods returned about 1 year postpartum, and are fairly regular. I am not against the idea of weaning gradually, but I don't know how to go about it and if it is necessary. It took us about 9 months of trying to conceive dd.
The added complication is that I would really like to get cracking!!! I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but My husband and I run a business which is very busy during the summer and quiet during the winter. The difference for us between having a baby in the summer (when he is working flat out and members of staff are in and out of the house contantly) or in the peace of winter is vast. If I could wave a magic wand the due date would be 1 year from now!
I know, probably won't work out that way!!! But what are the thoughts on bfeeding and conceiving?

Since your periods are regular, I would consider ovulation tests to see if you're ovulating or not. If you are, then BF isn't interferring, and you could get pregnant. If you are ovulating, no need to wean if you do fall pregnant (unless you're in a high risk category). Lots of women go on to tandem nurse... and some stop nursing on their own all together because either the milk dries up, or changes flavors. :flower:

What the above ladies said. One of the main issues if your cycle returns while BF is a short luteal phase or irregular periods; since you mentioned yours are regular and I'm presuming your cycles are an average length of 28-42 days-then there isn't any bar on you conceiving while BF. I conceived my second eldest either when still BF or only just stopped (my period had returned a few months earlier) and my second youngest while still BF, and I have really irregular cycles and a slight hormonal imbalance so didn't expect it to be so easy xx

Thanks very much ladies. I was charting my cycles before I got pregnant so I should really start doing it again. I read somewhere that it can be trickier whilst bfing but I should try one of these ovulating kits at least anyway.

I could have written your ost yslf...still wanting answers mind, y AF retrned a few days ago, iv bought ov tests and will be temping...If im not ovulating, il be weaning her totally off at night and stopping the comfort sucking :(

FX for us both hun x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->