BFing after piercings

mrsadair

Pregnant with #1
Reaction score
Hi... I've posted about this before, but I'm planning on BFing & I used to have my nipples pierced. I have had them out for more than a year now, but the holes are still there (I had each one done two different times so, 4 extra holes in each nipple) but they are still bothersome... the first set of holes has mostly closed up, but the ones that were done a little bit deeper still produce a lot of that white gunk and stuff. It isn't pleasant and it has a funny smell to it... I keep them clean, but I still always get that stuff out of the old holes. :( Why are they taking so long to heal? I'm due in 4 weeks and I don't see it going away by then if it hasn't gone away in the past year...

Can I not BF if I have that stuff there that comes out of the old piercings?

My friend BFd fine after removing hers but they were clean holes so I don't know. Perhapes you could ask your doc?

i would ask the doctor incase its some kind of infection, the doc can give you some meds to clear it up before baby arrives.
good luck

i've different kinds of antibiotics numerous times, for different things (not my nipples) since i've had them out and they've never cleared up. someone told me that the white stuff is just the gunk like you get in regular ear piercings... but i don't really feel right nursing my baby if they are like that. :(

i'm kind of afraid to ask my doctor... i know she's seen crazier things though, lol. and my mom goes with me to all the appointments... she has no idea i ever had my nipples pierced and she would freak the hell out... she's just like that. she would probably like, NOT talk to me after that for awhile.

I know the stuff you're talking about, I think it's just something your body produces to block pierced holes when you remove jewellery and leave it out for a long time. I haven't worn earrings since having Darwin, and I get little 'plugs' of white waxy stuff in the pierced holes. They've been pierced since I was 10, I doubt they'll ever grow over, and I know they're not infected.

I can see what you mean about not wanting to nurse if the holes are producing that substance, though I honestly doubt it would hurt anything - I have a feeling it's just skin cells that build up. Definitely agree it's something to ask your doctor about though, just in case.

I had both of mine done and the holes also produced that gunk. Mine cleared themselves out before I had DS, as far as I know it is just a collection of dead cells and general body grime and won't hurt LO

I had my left one pierced when I was 17. I took it out when I was 20 and left it out... I still get the white stuff sometimes but it's not gunk, more like Hope22 said with the stuff you get from your ears. I've been told that it's old skin cells too. If you're worried, maybe you could pop to the docs or even to a tattooist/piercer to see if they can give you any advice? xx

I've been getting more of the white stuff since getting pregnant, I took out my nipple peircing for surgery about 18 months ago (it wasn't breast surgery, but they still didn't want me wearing any piercings into the operating room).

I'm pretty sure white stuff is just sebum and skin cells though, just the normal oils that your nipples are producing to prepare for breastfeeding.

I've definately had more lubricated nipples since I got pregnant, I think the holes just gather it more than the rest of the skin on my nipples.

ive been reading up on this as ive got a pierced nipple too if its what i read about its natural oils but because theres an unnatural hole as it were it gathers there apparently the oil is present on ur nipples anyway so wont harm ur lo at all & ur milk will also come out of the piercing holes if they havent closed completely (ive had funny visions of it squirting out in all directions) ive read loads as i was a bit worried it would affect feeding but all ive read has been very reasuring

i Bfed and had had my nipple ring out for about 12 months - i did find that the flow was slightly fasted on that side and at firdt there were a few occasions of him spluttering lol

But he soon got used to it

I agree its natural (the gunk lol) and do not think it will do any harm perhaps just take a milli second more on that side when washing - tbh i never even thought about it when i bf

Good luck btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"