BFing & Jaundice

JeffsWife07

Reaction score
Does BFing add to jaundice? Should I continue pumping even though she has jaundice? Also, she won't eat from my boob and I have to pump, is this normal? Any advise on BFing will be appreciated. :hugs:

It doesn't add to it but usually breastfed babies tire easier and don't eat as much, they just need to eat alot, it flushes it out. Sun is good for it too. Since she's eating it from a bottle though it's the same, just make sure she's eating lots and get her in the sun a bit, not direct because she can burn very easily but just short amounts of time

Have you had any help with trying to get her latched on?

BF certainly doesn't add to it, but your baby has to try harder if taking fron the breast instead of the bottle. You say she is taking EBM from the bottle though, so she should be getting enough. How often is she feeding? Maybe you need to wake her up to give her an extra feed? And sunshine through a window is just as good as outside, so just pop her bouncer (or whatever she is sleeping on/in) and leave it by the window.
Good luck babes, I hope things improve x x

BFing doesn't add to or cause jaundice. Bf babies are more apt to get jaundice because it takes a couple days for mums milk to come in, and they have to work harder to feed. Sitting your baby in a sunny window, or giving vitamin d drops can help, although once your milk comes in and the baby feeds more it will clear up.

Have you got a baby cafe nearby that you can go to for advice? www.babycafe.org Your mw should also be able to help and if she can't, at least point you in te direction of your local support groups. Are you still trying to get her to latch on?

Alasdair had bfing jaundice and ended up being tube fed and under a uv light. But that's the worst case scenario. I think you just have to keep latching her on, keep giving her ebm. Are you stripping her off for her feeds? That helped a little with Alasdair. Or tickling his foot and tummy helped as well. Just to keep her awake so it can all be flushed out :)

Byron used to fall asleep a lot on teh boob - it's really hard work. He was also jaundiced from not feeding enough so we were pretty worried for a while. In the end I had to sort of hold my boob as if I was hand expressing and squeeze when he stopped sucking. I suppose it put milk into his mouth and encouraged him to start sucking again. It was quite hard work for a long time but worth it. Once he was older he managed better and now almost never falls asleep on the boob though I wish he would sometimes!

I would definitely recommend seeking some advice from a MW, or HV or your local breastfeeding consultant or La Leche League or whoever else might be available in your area. There are a lot of places you can go for help.

she latches on no prob she just falls asleep when she's feeding

I used to feed til he fell asleep then change his nappy, the cold air would wake him up a bit, then feed again, then if he fell asleep I let him sleep that time. My baby had BF jaundice for a while too but the midwife checked his blood and said although he looked quite yellow he was fine to go home and just keep feeding.

she latches on no prob she just falls asleep when she's feeding

I used to feed til he fell asleep then change his nappy, the cold air would wake him up a bit, then feed again, then if he fell asleep I let him sleep that time. My baby had BF jaundice for a while too but the midwife checked his blood and said although he looked quite yellow he was fine to go home and just keep feeding.

That is a great idea!!
Thank you very much.

Thanks to all of you ladies for the helpful advice.
I will be seeking help on Monday when I take her for her WIC appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"