BFP...but brown spotting

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by lawyer81, Aug 23, 2009.

1. lawyer81

lawyer81 Well-Known Member

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum and just wondering if you have any advice for a newbie? :)

I took a hpt on Friday (21st) and used a Superdrug early test. There was a very thin pink line in the test window which was definitely visible but wasn't the same thickness as the line in the control window.

I was about 6 days late when I took the test but later that day I started having some brown spotting. I usually get this for about 3 or 4 days before AF arrives. However, it doesn't seem the same as usual this month. There isn't really alot of it whereas there usually is (sorry if TMI!).

This was our first month of trying and I really didn't expect anything to happen but just don't know what to think now! I don't really want to do another test yet if it's an early m/c as I don't want to get attached to something that isn't going to happen if that makes sense?

Thanks!

xx

2. pinkandfluffy

pinkandfluffy Pregnant with Number 2!

Hi there,

If you were already late, and there was a line, my understanding is a line is a line! Was it within the time frame? If so I think you've cracked it - OPKs need a line as dark as the control line but HPTs a line is a line!

3. lawyer81

The line appeared almost straight away. Showed it to DH and he wasn't convinced because it didn't look like the control line. Might leave it another couple of days and see if AF turns up. If not will test again!

xx

4. muddles

muddles Mummy of 2.

I don't know if this is what you will want to hear but I know that for me the only times I have had lines on tests they have been easy to see but certainly lighter than the control line.

First time tested two days before the witch was due and got faint line, same two days later then negative two days after that and the witch arrived.

The second time tested one day early and got really faint positive then two days later the witch arrived and when I did a test it too was negative.

From what I was told (by friends/internet) this is really common and it's only because hpt are so good now that we know how often they occur, previously we would have just thought we were a couple of days late. It is your body's way of getting rid of a non viable pregnancy so although the egg has been fertilised it hasn't implanted which is why the hcg shows up on the test. It is known a chemical pregnancy or early miscarriage.

Hope you get a nice strong and sticky BFP very soon.

5. pinkandfluffy

pinkandfluffy Pregnant with Number 2!

Fx'd for you!!

6. lvh05

lvh05 Stick, baby, stick!!

Hello! And welcome to BnB!!

First off, a line is a line. Second of all, just because you were 6 days late does not mean you would necessarily get a strong positive. If you don't track O, or if your body happened to ovulate twice in a month, you could have conceived later normal.

We're not all the same, and our cycles aren't either. I didn't get a BFP (I went over my calendar yesterday and tracked my cycles before and after MC) until day 42!!! of my 28 day cycle!!! That means I pretty much got pregnant a day or two before my period. Which is almost unheard of. Or I'm super slow at producing HCG.

I would test again, and see the results.

There could be many reasons for the spotting, but the 2 main ones: One is that you are havingh a chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage. Which is when your body starts to produce HCG, but then decides that there is something wrong with the baby (usually bad chromosomes) so you have a very early MC. This makes your period late. But, you would most likely have some red blood.

Second, is that the baby is setting itself furter into the uterine lining, and that is causing spotting (implantation bleeding).

So, you should just relax. I would take another pregnancy test, maybe a digital. And, don't worry about spotting when it's brown. Brown blood has been in the cervix for a while, it is not fresh. The oxidation of the blood turns it brown. IF it turns red, that's something to be concerned over.

I hope you have a sticky bean! And keep us posted.

7. lawyer81

Hi, me again. Just thought I'd give a quick update.

I've now taken 3 hpt's, all of which have been BFP. It might just be me but it seems that the line is definitely getting thicker and darker each time. I've bought a couple more and am going to test again on Thursday just to see.

I'm still getting brown spotting (but still no red which has got to be good!) but the last couple of days there really hasn't been much of it at all. Am still feeling worried all the time as I keep getting the 'feeling' that AF has arrived! Must have gone to the loo about 100 times today just to check!!

Just another quick question though (if anyone is still reading!) I know it could still be really early (5-6 weeks) but I don't seem to have any symptoms. Is this normal? My boobs hurt a bit and felt a bit sicky this afternoon but nothing like I imagined. Lots of help and advice needed as I'm driving myself crazy!!

xx

8. katyblot

katyblot Well-Known Member

Hi Lawyer81,

the line getting darker sounds really promising, and the fact you feel sicky and have sore boobs!
    So until the spotting changes from brown, then everything sounds good to me!
    Have my fingers crossed for you!

Have just had chemical pregnancy myself this month, as had BFP on friday, and then brown spotting on sunday and monday, and has now unfortunaltey turned into full blown AF - :cry:

So I'm onto ttc in sept now, here's hoping you have a sticky bean!!!

9. lawyer81

Thanks katyblot. I have everything crossed for you for next month :)

It 's just so hard not to worry - there is so much conflicting advice out there I just don't know what to think! I haven't really taken it on board yet (and neither has DH) just in case something happens. I know it might sound silly but I don't want to get excited unless I know for certain.

10. EmmaM2

EmmaM2 new mummy

It sounding really positive - congrats. If its still only brown spotting as said before, this is old blood and most likely noting to worry about. With regard to the symtpom thing, lots of people don't get 'symptoms' so to speak at all so i wouldn't read too much into that.
    wishing you a happy and health 9 months!

11. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I was exactly the same, got my :bfp: and brown spotting started a few days later at the same time it usually would before AF. I also had it at 8 weeks and 12 weeks, when AF would have been due and have been told that's totally normal. Obviously it all turned out well for us and I'm sure it will for you too :hugs: