BFP still light at 16DPO...

tks1112

Reaction score
Hi all!

First time posting anything though I've been lurking for some time. :shy:

I got my BFP five days ago at 11DPO and stupidly continued testing hoping that the lines would naturally be darker after a few more days. All of the tests I've done so far have been FRER, but at different times of the day. The ones I've taken with FMU have definitely been the weakest, and overall there just hasn't been the steady progression that I was hoping to see. I keep telling myself "I'll stop as soon as I see a nice dark line" but the stress is driving me crazy and gets worse every time it's the slightest bit lighter than before.

I'm so worried about the potential for a chem pg/MC and should really just quit reading about it and POAS altogether, but I don't know if I have that much self-control. I know that the lines aren't supposed to be viewed as an indicator of hcg levels but the hope of seeing a much darker line has been luring me back to the pharmacy to buy more and more HPTs. I don't think I would be quite so nervous if my 16DPO test wasn't lighter than the 14DPO.

Going to try to call the doctor's office on Monday to see when they will let me make an appointment, though I suppose that might not be for a while. Just thought I'd post my paranoid thoughts here in case others are in/have been in the same boat, it's so difficult not being able to get advice from friends/family (not planning on telling anyone but DH until much later if I can manage). Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Here's the progression, assuming the attachment works... :wacko:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 100
I'm so sorry you're upset about this. Please try not to worry and enjoy this happy moment! Really, congratulations on your BFP!!!

And again, try not to worry (I know, easier said than done!). The darkness of the line is really connected to the concentration of your urine. It's lighter if you've been drinking a lot, or if you haven't been holding your pee for a very long time. FMU is supposed to be best, because it is assumed that people pee less (or don't pee at all) when they sleep, which would lead to the FMU being very concentrated, since you wouldn't be peeing in about 8 hours. But that is, of course, not always the case! If you use the toilet at night, FMU might not be the most concentrated at all. So don't worry about some lines being lighter than others - you were probably just drinking more that day or using the toilet more frequently. The important thing is that the line IS there! :)

It also varies a lot depending on how much dye is in each test. I also worried in the beginning because I felt like my tests took a long time to get dark.. now I am 17 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby :)

Wishing you the best, congrats on your BFP!

Thank you both for the reassurance!

It's odd because I feel like I got the faintest lines when the pee I was using was the most concentrated (mostly the FMU tests). I think I'm just going to step away from the HPTs for a while and try not to worry unless I have any cramping/spotting/etc. So far, so good on that front!

Definitely makes me feel a little better to hear that you had a similar situation, MyFavSurprise! Knowing that others whose lines weren't super dark still progressed just fine puts my mind at ease, I need to keep reminding myself of that. :)

I had to do the same, when I stopped testing my FRER was still only half way to the same as the control line, I was so tired of testing and couldn't help but obsess over it so I just kept my last test and looked at it every day and it helped me feel better :)

Lots of people have better lines using SMU instead of FMU. But you said the most important part, you're testing at different times a day. I'd quit testing and make your first appointment. Congrats!

I have horrible tests with fmu. 2mu is much better for me. Your lines look good to me!

Have you tried using a digital with weeks indicator? That might be a little more calming for yourself because you aren't deciphering the lines so closely. I would maybe try doing one and if it is 1-2 weeks or 2-3, then I would wait a little over a week and see what it says again hoping for the 3+ weeks. It also won't be as stressful as you aren't testing as often?

Totally normal to have concerns when it is someone you really want.

It's easy for me to sit here and tell you to stop testing as your water intake can effect the results and so can the test it's self. But when I was TCC my youngest I used in excess of 30 tests (terrible I know) and each result varied.

If you really are concerned, can you ask your doctor to do bloods to test levels?
X

Thanks everyone!

I called the doctor's office this morning and also sent them pictures of the HPTs, they pretty much reiterated that as long as there's no cramping or bleeding then there isn't any reason to be concerned. They had me schedule my appointment for 8 weeks (still a whole month to go, ugh) and said that would be when they would do the first ultrasound. Apparently they won't do blood tests unless they have reason to suspect something is wrong, and in this case they were pretty adamant that it wasn't necessary. Not sure if that's weird?

I'm going to try to refrain from POAS at all if I can manage, the wait will probably be less stressful if I just imagine that the lines are super dark and try not to dwell on it. :)

Really appreciate all the helpful comments, makes the 1 month wait until that first appointment seem a little less daunting! :hugs:

Thanks everyone!

I called the doctor's office this morning and also sent them pictures of the HPTs, they pretty much reiterated that as long as there's no cramping or bleeding then there isn't any reason to be concerned. They had me schedule my appointment for 8 weeks (still a whole month to go, ugh) and said that would be when they would do the first ultrasound. Apparently they won't do blood tests unless they have reason to suspect something is wrong, and in this case they were pretty adamant that it wasn't necessary. Not sure if that's weird?

I'm going to try to refrain from POAS at all if I can manage, the wait will probably be less stressful if I just imagine that the lines are super dark and try not to dwell on it. :)

Really appreciate all the helpful comments, makes the 1 month wait until that first appointment seem a little less daunting! :hugs:

I would definitely agree that stopping POAS is the best idea. Your lines look good...be happy and enjoy this wonderful journey. H & H 9 months!

I've had two chemicals & the lines never got that dark. As the Dr said, unless you have heavy bleeding & bad cramps then I would take that as a sign everything is fine. Now if I could take my own advice 🤔 Congrats on your bfp x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->