BFP then bleeding no cramps

Hwngurl808

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm driving myself nuts.

My hubby and I decided to start TTC last month. My LMP was May 19. To our surprise last Saturday, I had a faint BFP on two First Response HPT and one internet cheapie! We were in disbelief since it was only our first time TTC, so I did two more test and they were all the same!

I set an appointment for bloodwork on Monday (6/18), got to the doctors only to realize that they only do urine samples. As I went to go pee in a cup for them, I saw spotting on my undies :( The urine test at the doctor said negative, which I expected since their pregnancy tests aren't always as sensitive as HPT.

Yesterday I called the advice nurse to get a heads up on what could be happening (I was getting tired of googling). She said that two things could be happening:

1. "It could be my period" - I never really tracked my period, but after some legwork, estimated that my cycle is about 26 days ish. And when I get my periods, I ALWAYS (meaning it is consistently) get CRAMPS, and my flow is heavy. The bleeding I have now? NO cramps, and the flow is light enough to use a pantyliner.

2. "It's just normal spotting/bleeding which is common during pregnancy, and to wait it out until Friday to do another HPT" - this is my third day bleeding. Started out brown, now it is super dark brown/red. When I wipe it looks a little more regular red. Seems like there isn't a lot that goes onto the pantyliner, but when I go to wipe I see a lot more on the toilet paper.

My dilema:
  1. If it WAS my period, wouldn't it be the same as usual? What I have now is like, a small fraction of what my normal period is, and NO cramps.
  2. If I am miscarrying, wouldn't there be a LOT more blood AND cramps?

Maybe there is still a glimmer of home??? I'm trying to be positive, but realistic at the same time. I've been taking tests every morning and STILL see that faint BFP. Should I be worried? At this point I don't know what to think. Anyone else have similar experiences? I'd love to hear positive results, but doses of reality couldn't hurt either. I've googled everything possible to get some kind of reassurance/answer, but nothing was really helping my situation :cry: Thank you!

I know your frustration!!! First thing to do is to stop googling- you will worry yourself sick!! If you got a BFP before your period was due thats a good sign- lots of women don't even get them until after! I got mine at about 9dpo and by 12dpo my lines were dark. One way to gage if your HCG is rising is take a test each day at the same time and see if they are getting darker. From what I understand spotting is OK and relatively normal during the first trimester... my Dr told me not to be alarmed unless I had bright red bleeding combined with bad cramping- he basically said I would just "know" if something was going wrong.

Another thing to consider is a chemical pregnancy- i have had one of those last year. Basically where you can get a bfp before your period but it never progresses and you go on to start a normal period.

GL!!!!

To be honest my first thoughts were a chemical - mine was light bleeding and you wouldn't get bad cramps with a miscarriage this early.

It can just be implantation bleeding - I've had that too - I had bleeding on the day AF was due - it ended in a MMC but that was totally unrelated to the bleeding.

It's tough but I'd say prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Whatever happens you got pregnant very quickly and you are likely to again.

When I had a chemical my GP said sometimes your body needs a practice run to work out what it's meant to do - I was pregnant again 14 days later.

Hope it all works out - either way a test in 3 days should give you some answers xx

Thank you Erica_whitney! Unfortunately as the day progressed, the bleeding got heavier and started to have cramps. Yesterday when I went to change my tampon, there was a wad of tissue-esque stuff on it :( I'm pretty sure it was a chemical pregnancy.

What's frustrating is that my insurance (kaiser) hasn't been of much help. I've been on the phone with them giving them updates and twice they had me do urine tests. Both of theirs were negative and they keep telling me it was probably just a period but all my tests were still positive (I took probably more than half a dozen!)

I feel like they think everything is in my head :( it's like, I know my own period! I've been off the pill for about a year now and they always start off with a bang - super heavy and cramps the first two days and then it tapers off.

This time it started with spotting and didn't get heavier until the third day. Still, they keep telling me to come in again in two weeks to do another test.

You are right about not googling things and how it can drive you nuts. next time we try I'm going to try and be a little more patient, and not test early!

You are also right that something happened on the first go. We are trying to take that as a good sign and look on the positive side of things that both my husband and I are "working" lol. We are ready to try again! Thanks again for your kind words and support!

Both erica_whitney and rickles - thank you! I'm
Having trouble reading and writing replys with my iPhone. I have a hard time decipher in who wrote what. I thought both responses were from one person! My bad! Thanks again to the both of you!

Sorry about your miscarriage :hugs: I had a chemical in 2012. Worst experience evr. I hope you get a bfp next cycle :)

Thank you Erica_whitney! Unfortunately as the day progressed, the bleeding got heavier and started to have cramps. Yesterday when I went to change my tampon, there was a wad of tissue-esque stuff on it :( I'm pretty sure it was a chemical pregnancy.

What's frustrating is that my insurance (kaiser) hasn't been of much help. I've been on the phone with them giving them updates and twice they had me do urine tests. Both of theirs were negative and they keep telling me it was probably just a period but all my tests were still positive (I took probably more than half a dozen!)

I feel like they think everything is in my head :( it's like, I know my own period! I've been off the pill for about a year now and they always start off with a bang - super heavy and cramps the first two days and then it tapers off.

This time it started with spotting and didn't get heavier until the third day. Still, they keep telling me to come in again in two weeks to do another test.

You are right about not googling things and how it can drive you nuts. next time we try I'm going to try and be a little more patient, and not test early!

You are also right that something happened on the first go. We are trying to take that as a good sign and look on the positive side of things that both my husband and I are "working" lol. We are ready to try again! Thanks again for your kind words and support!

I have to say the same thing happened to me! First cycle TTC we got it - 2 days before AF was due I got a positive test. The day AF was due I had the exact same bleeding as you! It turned out to be a chemical and according to my Dr. it happens in about 70% of first time pregnancies, just women don't know because they don't test - and then AF shows like normal. One thing he did tell me is not to wear a tampon, and to let the MMC pass naturally.

I'll tell you one other thing, you know you guys can make a baby! I waited one cycle to get a normal period after my MMC, and then the next cycle we got our BFP! I'm now 11 weeks along, and baby had a strong heartbeat at my last scan at 9 weeks.

Good luck and lots of sticky healthy baby dust to you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"