Bi-Lingual Babies...

lo will speak urdu and arabic and english hopefully

Holly is being raised bilingual - although she doesn't say many Spanish words (just si and agua!), she understands a lot. When we visit my dad and people speak to her in Spanish she understands them (we took her for lunch on our most recent trip and I asked her what she wanted to drink (in Spanish) and she replied 'agua'. The waiter nearly fell over!)

I think its such an amazing gift to give a child a second language.

Luca will be trilingual!

Both DH and myself come are Portuguese but were born in South Africa. So he'll speak English, Portuguse and Afrikaans (the second language in South Africa). We speak all 3 fluently so we presume he will too. He'll have more than enough influences around him and he'll hear all 3 constantly so there is no doubt in our minds he'll just naturally speak 3 languages :)

Harriet will speak English and British Sign Language.

Cant wait to be able to sit talking to her and OH having no idea what we're saying lol!! :p

Darcey will speak spanish (husband is argentinian), enlglish and the local dialect here (similar to catalan)

English and Afrikaans. I wish I could teach him a more widely spoken 2nd language but I only know those two!

we are both english speaking as native tongue so thats naturally what we use at home but we both understand the importance of being able to speak another language and the younger you are when you introduce the easier they find it to pick up.
every word is new to them and they will absorb it all so easily.
I am pretty good at French although my understanding has got better than my speaking (guess that happens when you get older and don't use it for a while) and I have also learnt quite a bit of Polish and Slovakian (friends from Poland and Slovakia). I learnt French from the age of 5 and we put our son in after school classes from the age of 4. We will do the same with LO as well.
Great to see so many people passing on languages :)

Barry will be learning English and American English!

i know that sounds silly, but they are in fact quite different!

i'll probably teach him basic spanish as there is a lot of spanish talking people here in the states.

Bianka is tri-lingual! Hungarian (mummy) - English (daddy) - French (nursery).

She only has a few words for the moment, but is already using some words from all three languages and seems to understand simple sentences on all 3.

Funnily enough, my Dad's parents speak German, Norweigan and English. My Dad speaks German but I just speak English. I wish I'd been taught other languages, but I don't know any to teach Daisy! :lol:

Spooky! I was just about to post a thread about this! :thumbup:
I want to teach LO Spanish but we only speak English. I have googled a few CD's and DVD's but wondered if anyone had used any specific ones they can recommend? xx

mia will speak english and greek. although i will be learning the greek with her as i dont speak it. but we have just moved to cyprus so better get learning!!!

Same we both need to learn greek, his dad is half greek....all his family live in Corfu and we will def be spending some of his childhood there. I have tried to learn before but found it really hard but if a baby can do it then so can i! x

I'm learning Greek too!! my dad lives in Cyprus and we go there quite alot, I know a few words but not alot.

Id have a right time with all my heritage! my mum and nan are Irish, and my dad is Maltese but lives in Cyprus:haha:!!!

Dean will be speaking greek and english. I am english but hubby and in-laws are greek. They live with us and don't speak english very well so most of the conversations in the house are in greek and hubby translates for me although I can understand quite a bit now! So dean is exposed to it alot.

His speech pathologist however predicts he will speak english and most of his language will be in english until he is 4 or 5. Although he will understand everything in greek he will answer in english. Later we can encourage his responses in greek if we like. She said this is often the outcome unless a language is spoken exclusively in the home especially by the mother.

We also watch Greek tv! lol! Dean's real name is Konstandino (sp?) lol and I won't even tell you how long our last name is!

Bianka is tri-lingual! Hungarian (mummy) - English (daddy) - French (nursery).

She only has a few words for the moment, but is already using some words from all three languages and seems to understand simple sentences on all 3.

I am jealous, my mom is Hungarian and she never bothered to teach me :cry: I wish I had learned! Good for you for teaching her.

I want to teach LO Spanish but we only speak English. I have googled a few CD's and DVD's but wondered if anyone had used any specific ones they can recommend? xx
I would normally suggest Rosetta Stone, since they have a very good reputation, but the advert lets them down, because the lady who's learning Spanish on there has a really terrible accent (when she's buying apples from the market; and he asks whether she wants green or red apples). It's a poor accent of the Spanish spoken in Spain... not sure if it's good for the Spanish spoken in South America :shrug:

English and afrikaans here. My husband is from south Africa and I am from America, so I will have to learn the language as well!

English and Urdu. Then later Arabic and French! lol! hopefully :)

I would suggest contacting some Spanish-speaking mothers or your local university's modern languages department/children's literature department for recommendations for books, dvds, movie clips, comic books, video games with the language. Children learn through interaction and play, a typical "learn "X" language" program is not suitable for a child.

Ladies try to find other moms who are having their babies learn the same languages and arrange play dates!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->