big babies

Discussion in 'Gestational Complications' started by rollerchick, Jun 6, 2011.

1. rollerchick

rollerchick Well-Known Member

hi ladies anyone have a big baby first and worrying if no 2 will be as big or bigger? all opinions welcome thanks

2. lizziedripping

lizziedripping Well-Known Member

Hi roller - I had a 9Ib 1oz son born at 39wks, then a preemie (24 weeker so she didn't count ;)), and last year twins weighing 8Ibs 13 and 7Ibs 13! I can safely say that each baby usually is a little larger than the last, and had the twins been singletons they would have weighed in at approx 11Ibs and 10Ibs lol.

Girls are usually slightly smaller, and I have known women to deliver a second smaller baby, but in general they get heavier. Did you have a hard time with the first? If so, it is likely that the second will be easier to deliver, so try not to worry hun. Only issues I have had since the first is an ever-worsening prolapse, but then that's more to do with his delivery than his size xxx

3. rollerchick

thanks hun. had to have a csection with him he got stuck he was 10 2 so will have to wait and see

4. JaydensMommy1

JaydensMommy1 Well-Known Member

My first was 10lbs 6oz and I delivered naturally. I have not had a second (yet) but I do know that my sisters have all progressively gotten bigger.

Are you going to try for a VBAC? or another C-section?

5. rollerchick

was told had a narrow pelvis for a big gaby cause he got stuck so will see what happens

6. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!

arh, your scaring me, my son was 9lb and i keep saying to myself these twins wont be more than 7lb each lol! but i guess they will prob still be huge lol!

7. lizziedripping

DOn't fret eternal, there are many twin Mummies on here who had previous 9/10Ib singletons and their twins were more like 6 and 7Ibers in the end. Mine were predicted to be around 6/7Ibs each on growth scans, but exceeded expectation ;) Big for twins is usually 7Ibs not 9!!! lol xxx

8. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!

lol! I guess i didnt think it was possible, you must have been in agony carrying them round?

eck, im sure it will be fine, i liked having a big baby as i have nevre had to worry about his weight, my SIL was always in a panic about her kids weights and if they have eaten enough, but as Sam as on the 75th percentile i was never worried if he wasnt eating much one day, or was sick or somthing.

So i am sure i would cope with big twins, not sure if my pelvis would though. how far did you go with the twins?

9. poppy

poppy Mum of Three

Hey!

I had a different experience as I had a smaller second baby. My first son was 9 pounds and 12 ounces (five days overdue) and when I was pregnant with my second son, I even had an extra scan to make sure he wasn't going to be massive - he was only 7 pounds and 12 ounces - a whole two pounds lighter than his brother and only five days early! So, it does not always follow that the second one will be bigger. I am not sure why there was two pounds difference between them - I did not have high glucose or gestational diabetes or anything with the first one, so who knows? I guess every child is different - Tristan has followed the 75th percentile from early on and Brannon has followed between the 25th and 50th percentile from birth (pretty much the 50th over the last two months).

10. lizziedripping

Hi Eternal - I got to scheduled section at 38wks. Consultant says they'd have been 10 and 9 if I'd gone to 40wks - yikes!!! It was painful, and I didn't sleep for more than an hr from 28wks, but I didn't mind because my second child had been a 24wker, and I would take ANY amount of pain and discomfort to avoid that nightmare again :( xxx

11. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!

awwww ... i can imagine your pain, but your right it is worth it.

Im already in agony with SPD, heck knows how ill cope to get to 38 weeks! Just one day at a time i suppose. in the grand scheme of things pregnancy doenst last that long.

12. babesx3

babesx3 Well-Known Member

My first was 10lbs 11oz at 39+5 weeks normal ish delivery(forcepts)
    my second was 8lbs 11 oz at 36+3 weeks very easy delivery
    They were both born on 100% ile so the same effective weight
    my third was 9lbs 3 oz at 39 +3 thats the 94th %ile so was smaller

my baby i'm carrying now was estimated at 7lbs 10 oz at 35+2 so expecting around 9.5-10lb baby :)
    i will prob be induced at 38-39 weeks just in case though!!

13. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

I realy hope not. My DD was 8lb15 at 35 weeks.

14. Nomio

Nomio Member

Doesn't always follow. My first was 9lb 15.5oz at 41+3 and the second (who they said would be around the 10lb mark as well) was only 7lb 4oz, so try not to worry ;-)

15. Tanikit

Tanikit Well-Known Member

My second child was only 8g (both around 8lbs 7oz) bigger than my first which is pretty negligable - so they can just be the same size too. They were both born at the same gestation too.

16. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Yes and mine got stuck causing injury to him, I will be having a C section next time

17. xxxleeleexxx

xxxleeleexxx mum to DD & DS

my DD was 11lb 14oz at 40 weeks excatly. i had pre-eclamsia so was induced 4 days before due date but falior to progress ment section :( wouldnt have wanted to push that out if im totally honest!! lol
    i am already measuring 3 weeks ahead on fundal hight mabey more as that was 3 weeks ago! my 20 week scan showed he was measuring 1 and half weeks bigger!! lol
    i have a growth scan next thursday so hopefully will find out more then! but think he will be quiet big! xxx

18. rollerchick

wow that was a big girl my boy got stuck too have a feeling i will be an elective cection this time but will see

19. taffmam

taffmam mammy to 3 and pregnant

hey hun dont worry too much about the size.

my first boy was 2days early and 9lb 2oz, my girl was 6 days late and 7lb 4oz and my third boy was 2days late and 10lb 6oz. i am not worried but my oh has 3 girls and none weighed over 6lbs at full term.

xxxx

20. babyhopesxx

babyhopesxx Mum of 2 boys

My DS was 10lb 1.5 at 41 weeks. Will have to wait and see for this one, i've got a mw appointment at 28 wks, will she be able to tell if baby is likely to be another biggy? I know it's not always accurate but can she give a rough idea?