Big baby number 2 can they refuse elective c-sec?

Nuttymum2015

Reaction score
Please no bashing.

My daughter was born 3 weeks early via induction. She came out 10lb half oz. I did not have GD. Although I managed to labour naturally, she got stuck, but we managed to get her out in the end by forcing my legs.behind my head. It was a very tense fifteen mins. This time my son is measuring 6 weeks ahead, again I don't have GD but with the worrying birth i had last time I want to opt for a c-sec. Can they refuse this? I am petrified of him getting stuck again. I also am suffering with awful SPD (or PGP as it's now referred to) and I worry i wouldn't be able to get myself into the positions needed to open my pelvis enough to help him through. Due to induction i was hooked up to my IV, blood pressure monitor and foetal heart monitor so couldn't walk around. I've read so much about how that is the worst way to labour a big baby. Do you think I have a good chance of being offered an elective c-section or at least induction from 37 weeks so baby isn't too big? My midwife thinks they won't offer induction until 38.weeks but if that's the case i would rather wait the extra week for section.

Where are you living? Im in the UK and you can opt for a caesarean even with no medical need. At least this is what my consultant told me. They will always advise a natural delivery if possible but it is your choice. I've had caesareans with all four of my children as my first got stuck. She was only 8lb 3oz but my pelvis is tiny. With my youngest two I chose to have as natural a section as possible. Delayed cord clamping, skin to skin straight away, gentle music playing, no weighing or getting baby dressed until in recovery etc and they were amazing. The recovery is tough but as long as you rest as much as possible and have the right support its fine. Could you ask the midwife to book you in to see the consultant in the hospital and talk through your concerns. Good luck with your decision

I would be worried too, what does your midwife advise? I'm having an elective cs this time as my son also got stuck (2 failed vacuum attempts and 4 hours of pushing) and he was only 8lbs6, but i have a very narrow pelvis. I would think you'll be anxious during the pushing part this time after such a traumatic delivery so perhaps a cs is best. Good luck!

Yes you absolutely can. That weight is far to big on a first baby to deliver naturally. It can be done but it's dangerous.

On your next birth I'd just say absolutely no way are you ever being going for a natural delivery after the traumatic delivery of your first. Request birth reviews Aswel.

Im not sure they would offer induction so early but worth investigating your options. I'm in the uk and was offered induction with ds2 due to expected big baby but the consultant said not before 39+6. In the end the labour ward was so busy And I had to wait so long for my induction that I ended up going into labour naturally.

In my case ds2 birth was straightforward and much easier than ds1 even though he was 2lb heavier, I think because I'd already had a big baby so he'd paved the way for ds2!.

I dont think anyone could bash you for considering a c section as you do have previous of being very efficient at growing babies and as another poster said I don't think they can refuse if that is what you want.

Personally I think you are awesome for delivering a 10lb+er as a first baby.

I agree with others and say you should talk to your midwife and ask for a consultant referral. Your fears are understandable if you had a difficult delivery last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->