Big baby worry, Advice please

shorty2k8

1 son ttc #2
Reaction score
Hi girls,

I had a 3d scan yesterday and it was the most amazing experience of my life, but my baby looked really big, and was measuring very big for my dates too.

He was measuring over 31 weeks, and 3 lb 9 oz! Already. He's not even meant to be 3 lb until the end of this week really. if it was just a small difference i wouldn't worry too much, but seems like theres a hug difference.

Feelin a little anxious about this as i'm only 5ft, always been small, and i'm already gettin uncomfrtable. Bit worried that his size is gona cause complications

I have my 31 week appointment with gp a week on thursday and dont see midwife again now until 34 weeks.

Basically i dont know whether to ring the midwife and air my concerns with her now and see what she says or wait and discuss it with the doctor next week. i dont want to waste anyones time and i dont want them thinkin i'm stupid, i'm new to all this and the anxiety is mountin now, i said all along he was goin to be a big boy, lol!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading

Nicki
xxx

I wouldn't worry too much, the scans can be 25% inaccurate. At 32+5 I mine was measuring 4lbs 13oz and then at 36+3 he was 6lbs 3oz. I'm being induced tomorrow at 38+1 due to GD which 'apparently' causes baby to be big but 10 days ago he was just over 6lbs. It is ALL an estimate...remember that, if you are worried you can always get in touch with the day assessment unit at your maternity unit or your midwife.

Look at where his head/ tummy and legs measure on the graphs they gave you on the reports, and then compare this with the 20 week scan you would have received from your hospital, they will probably follow a correlation and then you can put your mind at rest. Don't stress...worst thing to do!!

https://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev171pr___.png

my baby was measuring around 3lb5 at 28wks which was big, they sent me for a growth scan. i would wait and see what doc says and mention it to mw aswell, im only 5'3 and my baby is around 8lb already and still have 2 weeks left, she has slowed down to what she was.xx

thank you for the advice, i'm tryin not to worry, but jst feelin a little anxious about the birth if baby is huge,

i know theres so much time for things to change and for the docs and midwife to do more tests if need be!

thanks again

nicki

xx

if theyre worried when you tell them they will do scans etc but more times then not, its usually wrong and nothing to worry about, if you have a big baby and are worried about pushing him out there is other help that will be offered during labour, ie-ventouse epidural etc.xx

I have a big baby too and I am very slim. He is already 8lb 4 and I still have two weeks to go. Where I live (lincolnshire) early intervention isn't an option for merely having a big baby. I've got to try squeeze this one out myself :-/

My DS1 was measuring 3lb 10oz at 28weeks, 6lbs 3oz at 36 weeks & was born 40+11 8lbs 6oz which I didn't think was that big for nearly 2 weeks late !!

My LO this time measured 2lbs 3oz at 27 weeks but now they say over 5lbs at 33 weeks so they must all grow at different rates too plus like others say there is room for error on scans !!

xx

try not to worry yourself too much hun it could just be that the baby had a growth spurt before your scan
i had a growth scan at 34 weeks and bit was bigger than average so whent back at 36 week and she wasnt that much differant size wise xx

Hi hun,

I just wanted to second what the others have been saying. At my 30 week scan baby was measuring 3 weeks ahead, and I had growth scans every 2 weeks after that (at 32, 34, and 36w). At each scan he's been measuring in the 95th percentile and they "estimate" that at birth he could be around 10lbs!

I'm also small (5'2) but have heard from so many different ladies who were measuring big that their LO's ended up being average, and the scans had been off. So I'm not worried!

Feel free to ask at your next appointment. Hopefully they'll do some additional scans just to monitor the growth. Good luck!

I haven't had any scan etc. but I'm also very small, I measured a week ahead the first two times they measured me, but now I seem to be the right size, so maybe baby will slow down, there is no rule on when baby grows, could be fast or slow! also my midwife said sometimes its easier to give birth to a larger baby, so don't worry about it!!

At 27+2 baby weighed 2lbs 15oz, then at 30 weeks she weighed 4lbs 3oz, which is definatley on the big side. I have a growth scan tomorrow at 32 weeks and then one at 36 weeks due to my GD diagnosis. Im really hoping that she has only put on the "average" half pound a week and should be around 5lbs 3oz. My first daughter was born weighing 9lbs 2oz at 40+1 and Im crossing my fingers that this one will be around that or a bit less lol. The diabetes midwife assured me that I will be offered an early induction if the baby seems to be getting too big.

If your baby was 3lbs 9oz at 29+3 then taking into account baby putting on about a half pound a week, at 40 weeks your baby may weigh rounghly 8lbs 12oz, but it may be even less than this as in the last couple of weeks weight gain slows down. I would be thrilled if this baby came out weighing 8lbs something so I really wouldnt worry about it xxx

thank you girls. i've started to calm my anxiety down about it and it's just a case of wait and see, I just can't wait til he's here now

i'm so excited :-D

xx

Height does NOT determine pelvic size, so dont think about that too much. There are many small girls with wide/ big pelvises and tall girls with tiny pelvises. Look at the high fashion models. Also, babies can even out later its still early. xx

I am the same height as you and at 36 weeks my bump was measuring 4 weeks ahead and at my growth scan they said I would definitely be having an 8lb baby. I also had GD but that developed really late - anyway I had a 6lb 7oz baby :haha:

i too am short and at 37 weeks was sent for growth scan as was measuring 2 weeks ahead.he worked out about 9.3!!!!!!! Aparently he has long legs.(40 weeks then).Just praying he does not put on any more bloomin weight lol.im havin a c sect nxt tues so that does make me feel better.

i too am short and at 37 weeks was sent for growth scan as was measuring 2 weeks ahead.he worked out about 9.3!!!!!!! Aparently he has long legs.(40 weeks then).Just praying he does not put on any more bloomin weight lol.im havin a c sect nxt tues so that does make me feel better.

Can I ask why the C section is, because of the big baby? xx:flower:

Like everybody's saying, don't worry about it. I booked my 4D scan for 28 weeks originally, but at my 25 week midwife appointment, my bump was measuring 4 weeks bigger, so I rescheduled it for when I was 25+5. At that point my baby was measuring 3 pounds 5 or 6 ounces (can't remember exactly).

I mentioned it to the midwife and she didn't seem concerned. She sent me for a GTT and the results were clear.

I have measured at least 4 weeks bigger every time my midwife has measured me since then and she sent me for a growth scan last week (the area I live in doesn't do growth scans for big babies until 36 weeks).

My baby was measuring 8 pounds 6 ounces and that was with 3 weeks and 5 days until her due date! I was sent for another GTT and that came back normal so I'm not sure what's happening now but I've been told not to worry. Apparently your baby will only make a baby to a size that can get out of your body without help.

Can I ask why the C section is, because of the big baby? xx:flower:

I had a c sect with my first because of an op the year before.He was also 9lbs.He was not a chubby baby at all though, just long.Im basically having one again this time as it was offered and i liked the c sect last time.And im quite glad as this ones turning out to be a chunky monkey too lol.

Height does not determine pelvis size! Even weight of woman doesnt. Everyones body is shapped different. Im 27 weeks and baby is 2lbs 12ozs and has been measuring "big" since 16 weeks. At my last scan on monday he was 29 weeks, head, abdomen, weight and length! I dont have gestational diabetes. Im 5'9 and not over weight. Doctor has told me that they wont have me having a ten pound baby so we could induce early. But if he evens himself out ect. then we wont have too! What ever gets the baby here safe and sound! My MIL had a csection with my hubby cause he was 10 lbs. My mother had me naturally at 7lbs.

I wouldn't worry too much. My midwife thought my baby was measuring big so sent me for a scan at 38 weeks where he measured 7.5lbs. He was born at 41+5 and was 8lb 8oz. If you or your midwife are worried about your babys size they should monitor you and if you are measuring big they will probably induce you. Good luck:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->